Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Similar to Annapolis?
Charleston 7 24.14%
Portsmouth 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 10:43 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The title should be self explanatory, but I'm wondering how a city I've never been to (Annapolis) compares to to that I have been to (Charleston and Portsmouth).

There seem to be some similarities and differences between both that might make for a good conversation:

Annapolis and Charleston: large, Southern, higher education presence in city limits, diverse.

Annapolis and Portsmouth: brick, US Navy presence, just one river, proximity to bigger city(-ies).
You are technically correct that Annapolis is Southern, as Maryland is a Southern State per the Census, as is always mentioned on this board.

It won’t have many of the traditional southern characteristics that Charleston has, but it technically is southern.

In 2018, Annapolis was named “One of the South’s Prettiest Cities:”
https://patch.com/maryland/annapolis...ettiest-cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 11:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I lived in Portsmouth for a decade. I’ve sailed a lot in Annapolis. People from here hit the Chesapeake in October when it’s too cold in New England and store the boat there. Portsmouth is way smaller than Annapolis. The Navy Yard over the bridge in Kittery is pretty much invisible since it’s mostly contractors working on submarines. You never see anyone in uniform. A big inflatable patrolling the Piscatiqua is the only Navy I usually saw. The sailing scene in Annapolis is huge. It is nonexistent in Portsmouth.

So I don’t see much in common other than they’re both old and coastal.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:52 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So I don’t see much in common other than they’re both old and coastal.
Similar architecture? Though maybe that just comes from being old and coastal.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:56 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
The distinctive feel of Annapolis is historic buildings and houses with brick facades.

The distinctive feel of Charleston is historic houses with columns and balconies.

Which one of these is more like Portsmouth?

Old 03-08-2022, 03:01 PM

1,023 posts, read 912,972 times
Lol it's def more similar to Charleston than it is to anywhere in New England, regardless of this sites weird obsession with northern and southern. The people who are voting for Portsmouth are doing so simply on the notion that it's in the north so it has to be more similar to a city that is also in the north. I have not heard one solid explanation as to why. Historically they were similar as they both served as prominent slave ports. Something that Annapolis also shares with Richmond.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs...198-story.html

https://www.annapolis.gov/1762/Black-History-Month

I figured this would be a good addition to the Convo as this board seems to not be able to view the south/north debate with any type of nuance. Usually southerness is reduced to the confederacy check box. Interestingly enough, Portsmouth also saw slave ships but not to the extent of Annapolis

https://newengland.com/yankee-magazi.../blackhistory/

All and all, Annapolis has more in common with Portsmouth, VA than it does to Portsmouth, NH. Regardless of it's standing as a modern day northern state.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The distinctive feel of Annapolis is historic buildings and houses with brick facades.

The distinctive feel of Charleston is historic houses with columns and balconies.

Which one of these is more like Portsmouth?
The buildings look more similar between Annapolis and Portsmouth, but Portsmouth is small and cold in comparison to the other city.

Also, as you move away from Market Square in Portsmouth, wood quickly starts replacing brick as the most common material in Portsmouth. For example, the buildings in Strawberry Bank are almost all wood iirc.

Another point I want to emphasize is the presence/effect of College of Charleston and the US naval Academy on those cities. Portsmouth has some student presence from UNH, but that campus is miles away in Durham unlike the other cities which have college campuses (though I guess the naval academy isn’t technically a college) downtown.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:55 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Another point I want to emphasize is the presence/effect of College of Charleston and the US naval Academy on those cities. Portsmouth has some student presence from UNH, but that campus is miles away in Durham unlike the other cities which have college campuses (though I guess the naval academy isn’t technically a college) downtown.
Actually, the Naval Academy IS a college. Not only does it produce naval officers, but also graduates with four-year degrees in a variety of subjects. You are correct that the Naval Academy has a very large influence on Annapolis, which to me adds to its charm. One time, my family and I were visiting there, and we were surrounded by midshipmen in their dress uniforms, accompanied by civilians in their finest clothes. It was a very classy atmosphere. I asked one of them what was going on, and he told me it was the night of the ring dance, or something like that.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:28 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Actually, the Naval Academy IS a college. Not only does it produce naval officers, but also graduates with four-year degrees in a variety of subjects. You are correct that the Naval Academy has a very large influence on Annapolis, which to me adds to its charm. One time, my family and I were visiting there, and we were surrounded by midshipmen in their dress uniforms, accompanied by civilians in their finest clothes. It was a very classy atmosphere. I asked one of them what was going on, and he told me it was the night of the ring dance, or something like that.
I love visiting Annapolis.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:20 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Quote:
Annapolis and Charleston: large
Annapolis is not large, with a population under 40,000 and a land area of just seven square miles. Granted, it has suburbs and sits within a very large county - but most of that county is in metropolitan Baltimore. Even together with its adjacent suburbs, Annapolis accounts for at most 200,000 residents - about as many as just the city of Charleston.

(BTW, the concept of a "border state" does exist. Maryland allowed slavery but did not join the Confederacy, under pressure from the federal government.)

Old 03-08-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Actually, the Naval Academy IS a college.
Good to know! Seniors from my graduating class in high school did go to the naval academy, but I assumed it had a different designation than a private or state college/university!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
about as many as just the city of Charleston.
Exactly.

Portsmouth is larger in land area with fewer people. Despite having a similar downtown as Annapolis, it’s basically devoid of any large suburbs.

Quote:
(BTW, the concept of a "border state" does exist. Maryland allowed slavery but did not join the Confederacy, under pressure from the federal government.)
Sure sure. I was just riffing off the words of another poster. I didn’t mean for this to be a hot-button issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City