Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 06:52 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

Bumping this one as I'm going back to the Mid-Atlantic beaches this summer. Last year I ended up going to the Jersey Shore on my road trip back north from NC but the weather didn't cooperate much so I went back again for an extended long weekend in late summer. The Jersey Shore was awesome and I spent a fair amount of time in Cape May, Wildwood, Stone Harbor, and Island Beach SP. Cape May was unique for a beach town and the place I enjoyed spending time in the most. The quality of the beach in places like LBI and IBSP was awesome. I loved the fine soft sand, easy to walk on and both these places have serene feel to them. I didn't care much for Wildwood, but it's nice that they have a dog park on the beach so that pups can enjoy the beach too. I preferred the boardwalk at Seaside a little more.

I ended up just passing through Del-Mar-VA with a brief stop at Rehoboth. I'm doing another road trip down the east coast this summer and this time I'd like to spend a few days on the Eastern Shore of Maryland so I booked a few hotel nights in Ocean City and I'm also staying a night in Easton to explore the Chesapeake Bay towns in Talbot County (St Michaels, Oxford, Tilghman Island).

Curious about the best beaches to hit on the Del-Mar-VA peninsula as that will be my focus next trip. Optimally I'd love to find a beach that has that same soft fine sand that Jersey Beaches have up by IBSP. I heard that Rehoboth and Bethany beaches have more granular and pebbles in the beach sand, but I'm wondering how good the Delaware State Parks are. I will be spending a full day at Assateague Island National Seashore to see the ponies and walk some of the nature trails.

I'm wondering if Chincoteague, VA is worth a stop. It seems off the beaten path with not many amenities. Is this the only accessible beach by car on the whole Eastern Shore of VA? Seems that whole peninsulas beaches in VA is more or less for the birds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 08:25 AM

1,204 posts, read 796,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I'm wondering if Chincoteague, VA is worth a stop. It seems off the beaten path with not many amenities. Is this the only accessible beach by car on the whole Eastern Shore of VA? Seems that whole peninsulas beaches in VA is more or less for the birds?
Isn't Chincoteague / Assateague more known for its ponies? But it's definitely worth a stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
I am not as familiar with the Jersey Shore Beaches but I cannot imagine them to be any more developed than Ocean City, MD. What do the Jersey Shore Beaches offer that is not offered at Ocean City MD? I feel like the argument that the Jersey Shore Beaches are more developed is not that relevant in this discussion. Unless the OP just wants see the greatest number of Beach resort cities. More than likely Ocean City will provide more than enough entertainment and he could explore beaches in the Chincoteague/ Assateague Island area if he wants a less developed beach area. Not to mention if he is going through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel then Virginia Beach would be another option.
Ocean City MD is ****ty anyway...especially compare to Ocean City NJ. This coming from somebody who lives in Maryland .

Rehoboth and Lewes DE are much nicer IMHO.

Old 03-10-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post

Ocean City MD is ****ty anyway...especially compare to Ocean City NJ. This coming from somebody who lives in Maryland .

Rehoboth and Lewes DE are much nicer IMHO.
I booked a hotel further north near the DE line and Fenwick. I got pups that we're bringing with us and saw that Fenwick Island State Park allows dogs on the beach, nice option. Rehoboth and Bethany Beach hotel rates are nearly double what they are in OCMD.

Old 08-09-2023, 12:39 AM

828 posts, read 649,798 times
More specific ratings:

Food: Jersey Shore>>Delmarva

Unique Attractions/Shore Town Charm: Jersey Shore>Delmarva

Pristine Beaches: Delmarva>>Jersey Shore

Old 08-09-2023, 07:18 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In terms of Shore-town charm, I'd rate the four places you mentioned in this order:

Cape May
Rehoboth Beach
Asbury Park
Ocean City, Md.

The Maryland shore town is IMO overbuilt, especially in its northern reaches (though were it not for the signs, you might not realize when you've crossed into next-door Fenwick Island, Del. But Fenwick Island is a bit more low-rise, and once out of it, you pass through the pristine state park of the same name). Asbury Park, like Atlantic City, has parts that have seen better days but also parts that are either on the mend or glitzy-ritzy.

Cape May has loads of gorgeous Victorian houses, guest houses and hotels, and is IMO a must-visit for that reason alone; I know of no other Shore resort on the entire East Coast with such a great collection of Victorian structures. I would have thought that it would have become a popular LGBT Shore destination for that reason, but that honor goes to Rehoboth instead.

Rehoboth is the most small-town-ish of the four and IMO has the most interesting dining scene, but Cape May cones close and has better seafood. I've yet to have a cheesesteak at the White House in AC but have heard raves about it for years.

Across an inlet from downtown Asbury Park is the most distinctive of all the Jersey Shore communities: Ocean Grove. Many of the Jersey Shore towns started out as Methodist summer camp meetings in the late 19th century (Asbury Park and Asbury and Wesley avenues in Ocean City have their names for this reason), but Ocean Grove remains one. It also has a huge trove of Victorian houses — as well as the huge 1892 auditorium at its center, where worship services take place every Sunday. Like Ocean City at the southern Jersey Shore, Ocean Grove is very family-oriented — both legacies of their origins, to which Ocean Grove remains true.

If you have the time to structure your trip this way, I'd recommend stops at Chincoteague Island, Rehoboth Beach, Cape May and Asbury Park, with a pit stop for that cheesesteak in AC. The Jersey Shore, however, does have more going on overall than the Delmarva coast. (In fact, I'd say it's probably more overbuilt than OCMD, just with houses rather than mid-rise or high-rise condos. You won't see that overdevelopment, however, driving up the Garden State Parkway; you'd have to take the string of county highways that run up the barrier islands from Cape May through Wildwood to Seven Mile Island (Avalon and Stone Harbor) and northward from there to AC.)

Edited to add: But if you're spending two nights and a day, I'd make Rehoboth Beach and either AC or Asbury Park your overnight stops. You'd have an if-it's-Tuesday-this-must-be-Belgium, more-rushed-than-I-think-you'd-like quality to your trip, but you'd at least get to work in one of your pristine beaches — which, sorry to say, lie at opposite ends of the stretch of Atlantic coastline in question. (Fenwick Island State Park lies close to Rehoboth and just north of OCMD, but it's probably a poor substitute for the other two. There is, however, one other option that's less beachy but might make an interesting change of pace: the big nature preserve that begins at the northern end of Brigantine Island, just north of AC, and extends across a large estuary to the southern tip of Long Beach Island. However, none of this is accessible by road.)
Thanks for being honest about Ocean City. Way to many people from Maryland are afraid to admit this. I'd say Cape May and Rehoboth are equals. The issue I have with Asbury Park was when I went there you had to pay to go to the beach.....

Old 08-09-2023, 07:21 AM

128 posts, read 72,315 times
Quote:
Bumping this one as I'm going back to the Mid-Atlantic beaches this summer. Last year I ended up going to the Jersey Shore on my road trip back north from NC but the weather didn't cooperate much so I went back again for an extended long weekend in late summer. The Jersey Shore was awesome and I spent a fair amount of time in Cape May, Wildwood, Stone Harbor, and Island Beach SP. Cape May was unique for a beach town and the place I enjoyed spending time in the most. The quality of the beach in places like LBI and IBSP was awesome. I loved the fine soft sand, easy to walk on and both these places have serene feel to them. I didn't care much for Wildwood, but it's nice that they have a dog park on the beach so that pups can enjoy the beach too. I preferred the boardwalk at Seaside a little more.

I ended up just passing through Del-Mar-VA with a brief stop at Rehoboth. I'm doing another road trip down the east coast this summer and this time I'd like to spend a few days on the Eastern Shore of Maryland so I booked a few hotel nights in Ocean City and I'm also staying a night in Easton to explore the Chesapeake Bay towns in Talbot County (St Michaels, Oxford, Tilghman Island).

Curious about the best beaches to hit on the Del-Mar-VA peninsula as that will be my focus next trip. Optimally I'd love to find a beach that has that same soft fine sand that Jersey Beaches have up by IBSP. I heard that Rehoboth and Bethany beaches have more granular and pebbles in the beach sand, but I'm wondering how good the Delaware State Parks are. I will be spending a full day at Assateague Island National Seashore to see the ponies and walk some of the nature trails.

The beach area of Chincoteague is actually on Assateague island as well. However its directly adjacent to Chincoteague so you really would notice the difference when driving to the beach. The Chincoteague area is the only accessible ocean side beach on the Virginia Eastern Shore. The rest of the barrier islands are remote islands that are undeveloped. There are some bayside beaches such as Cape Charles and Kiptopeke. The rest of the Virginia ocean beaches are located in Virginia Beach. Chincoteague is a beautiful island town with shops, restaurants, and amusement. Its definitely worth a visit. Also if you are interested in space travel the Wallops Island NASA visitors center is located on the way to the Chincoteague Island.

Old 08-09-2023, 03:08 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
More specific ratings:

Food: Jersey Shore>>Delmarva

Unique Attractions/Shore Town Charm: Jersey Shore>Delmarva

Pristine Beaches: Delmarva>>Jersey Shore
Now, as someone who goes to Island Beach, Cape May, Ocean City and Stone Harbor… which Delmarva beaches would be more pristine? I havent been so looking for good recs!

Old 08-09-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Now, as someone who goes to Island Beach, Cape May, Ocean City and Stone Harbor… which Delmarva beaches would be more pristine? I havent been so looking for good recs!
I'll post back in three weeks when I get there. I've been to all those beaches in Jersey. Cape May and IBSP were awesome. Stone Harbor, one of my favorites.

We're staying at the beach on the MD/DE state line. Delaware has three state parks on the shore and I'm thinking Cape Henlopen SP would probably be the most pristine. Fenwick Island SP allows pets, we're bringing our pups there. OCMD kinda reminds me of Myrtle Beach with all the highrises on the beach. I'm not crazy about that but the location is good and it's got nearby Assateague Island where we intend to spend a good amount of time. I'm thinking that beach looks very pristine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
The beach area of Chincoteague is actually on Assateague island as well. However its directly adjacent to Chincoteague so you really would notice the difference when driving to the beach. The Chincoteague area is the only accessible ocean side beach on the Virginia Eastern Shore. The rest of the barrier islands are remote islands that are undeveloped. There are some bayside beaches such as Cape Charles and Kiptopeke. The rest of the Virginia ocean beaches are located in Virginia Beach. Chincoteague is a beautiful island town with shops, restaurants, and amusement. Its definitely worth a visit. Also if you are interested in space travel the Wallops Island NASA visitors center is located on the way to the Chincoteague Island.
Thanks for the follow up. I got it on the bucket list, not sure I'll have time to get down there this trip. I do road trips down to NC every now and then and could probably stay the night there on my down there sometime. I prefer driving US 13/17 down the peninsula to get to NC versus I-95.

Old 08-09-2023, 04:28 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I'll post back in three weeks when I get there. I've been to all those beaches in Jersey. Cape May and IBSP were awesome. Stone Harbor, one of my favorites.

We're staying at the beach on the MD/DE state line. Delaware has three state parks on the shore and I'm thinking Cape Henlopen SP would probably be the most pristine. Fenwick Island SP allows pets, we're bringing our pups there. OCMD kinda reminds me of Myrtle Beach with all the highrises on the beach. I'm not crazy about that but the location is good and it's got nearby Assateague Island where we intend to spend a good amount of time. I'm thinking that beach looks very pristine.

Thanks for the follow up. I got it on the bucket list, not sure I'll have time to get down there this trip. I do road trips down to NC every now and then and could probably stay the night there on my down there sometime. I prefer driving US 13/17 down the peninsula to get to NC versus I-95.
Please do! Always enjoy your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City