Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 01:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Miami isn't quite as high as one would think.
I think it’s partially because it’s a condo-heavy market and the price point in which people would otherwise offer $100k+ over ask are more likely to be condos with high HOAs which sorta tempers the speculative purchasing you see with SFHs. Miami is just one of those places where rich people generally seem to prefer condos over SFHs. Not to say condos can’t and don’t go way over ask, happens all the time in Seattle. But not as crazy as SFHs.

Just my educated guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 01:58 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
New Brunswick NJ?!??!! With 48???? Huh??

What is the New Brunswick Metro lmao... Edison, the Brunswicks, Amboys and Piscataway?
It's a "Metropolitan Division." Middlesex, Monmouth, and Ocean counties, I think. I don't know why those three are grouped together compared to other neighboring counties, but I'm sure the Census has a justification published somewhere.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:07 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Another thought - in a lot of the west coast markets, listing agents will often advise sellers to list their price based roughly off of the ASKING price of comps, and not the sold price, to encourage bidding wars. Not sure of this happens in other markets.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:41 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Now we know where all the people with more dollars than sense live.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
These numbers don't seem like they are exhaustive to me.

That said, I never found "xx over asking" to be relevant anyway. Asking price is a marketing tactic, sale price is what actually indicates supply and demand. All this really tells you is about the culture in the local real estate industry.

I think the reason you see a lot of this recently is something that freakanomics discussed a decade ago: Real estate agents are highly incentivized to make a sale, but the marginal difference between selling for x vs. selling for x + y, is much smaller and not super significant to them.

The tactic of "let's just list for a low number and have an immediate bidding war" is really convenient for the agent, because they can quickly push the sale through and move on their next house (and next commission check). No wonder they like this approach.

Old 03-18-2022, 05:47 PM

208 posts, read 145,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
The tactic of "let's just list for a low number and have an immediate bidding war" is really convenient for the agent, because they can quickly push the sale through and move on their next house (and next commission check). No wonder they like this approach.
Not really. Pitting the sellers against each other where the buyer does not have any price information about their competitors, while the seller has all the information results in tremendous gains for the seller. Assuming the demand is sufficiently high to cause buyers to fight to win the sale.

If anything, the markets are too hot for the agents as there is very little volume, so they have to compete more with each other for the few sales that are being made.

Old 03-19-2022, 07:12 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
These numbers don't seem like they are exhaustive to me.

That said, I never found "xx over asking" to be relevant anyway. Asking price is a marketing tactic, sale price is what actually indicates supply and demand. All this really tells you is about the culture in the local real estate industry.

I think the reason you see a lot of this recently is something that freakanomics discussed a decade ago: Real estate agents are highly incentivized to make a sale, but the marginal difference between selling for x vs. selling for x + y, is much smaller and not super significant to them.

This is happening yes. But the asp is going up big in a lot of markets.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:51 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This is happening yes. But the asp is going up big in a lot of markets.
Of course, but I think it's more useful just looking directly at that number rather than "no. of homes that have sold $100,000+ Above" which is simply a proxy metric for asp * population.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:15 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Of course, but I think it's more useful just looking directly at that number rather than "no. of homes that have sold $100,000+ Above" which is simply a proxy metric for asp * population.
Probably just another faux metric to help Californians feel superior as their state is decaying? amirite? The south has risen!!

Old 03-20-2022, 09:01 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
We moved back to the US several months ago and were looking for homes in New Jersey and in Chicago. One big reason we chose Chicago is that brokers were practically throwing properties at us while in New Jersey there was always someone willing to pay more than we could possibly afford. The real estate market of the entire NYC area but especially New Jersey is completely on fire while Chicago is not. Probably should have taken the hint, honestly.
Yeah parts of north jersey for sure. But the way they said New Brunswick is just funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City