Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 02:28 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,405,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
I got killed for saying NYC, PHL, CHI, ATL, HOU should be Tier One...so be prepared.
Killed for what?

I’m not reading through 30 pages of another “black vs black” thread so in waiting for all the ammo that coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 02:30 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,405,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Can’t wrap my head around a historically black city such as Cleveland being below SF and Orlando. Maybe I’m missing something

A lot of these topics are based off popularity nothing more and nothing to it. That’s why these threads are weird cause usually they all have different topics with the same exact answer lol.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:31 PM

119 posts, read 37,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Killed for what?

I’m not reading through 30 pages of another “black vs black” thread so in waiting for all the ammo that coming.
Don't even worry about it bro lol. Not trying to start anything again. Just know that uniqueness is valued the most.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:48 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Killed for what?

Come with suggestions and a grouping of your own with evidence honestly. Those doing so have them and their opinions well accepted. Those who haven't had to get corrected.

But don't forget to review the OP.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
When I look at the criteria you set and started really thinking about these cities local Black cultures I started thinking how I can't possibly breakdown the particular cities cultures into tiers. So I'll just list in no particular order based on your criteria what cities stick out to me the most more than others. If I didn't put down your city/region it's not that I think it's not unique or distinguishable (Hell wherever Black people reside is unique enough culturally for me) it's just these particular cities stand out more to me.

Again this is not a official listing or ranking.

1. New York City
2. New Orleans
3. Sea Islands (Coastal Carolinas/ Coastal Georgia/ N. Florida)Gullah-Geechee corridor
4. Baltimore
5. D.C.- DMV area
6. Philadelphia
7. Bay Area
8. Los Angeles
9. Atlanta
10. Houston
11. Memphis
12. Mississippi Delta
13. Chicago
14. Miami
15. Detroit
16. St. Louis
A decent list. I'd swap Baltimore and DC, but looks good based on the criteria of what the thread is referring to IMO.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Can’t wrap my head around a historically black city such as Cleveland being below SF and Orlando. Maybe I’m missing something
Could you spell out 3 things about Cleveland that make it more unique than Black culture in the Bay Area? The OP referred to Oakland.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:58 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Because its black culture just simply isn't strong enough? Never gained enough pull in its region? Not AA driven but more West Indian/African driven? Considering blacks only make up 12% of the population in the US, it requires a lot of cultural superiority in your respective area in order to reach that level; which is a stage I don't think black Boston has ever reached. DC, on the other hand, has been culturally black and had a cultural monopoly on this city for decades. Apples to oranges, tbh.

Other large cities that have black cultural superiority are Baltimore, Chicago, Memphis, NYC (fading tho), Philly, Houston, LA (also fading), and of course Atlanta. Among others, but it's honestly not a whole lot.

I just have this feeling that due to the lack of AA influence in black Boston, they're just more passive and would rather acquiesce to what people want out of them. Obviously this makes for a safer, more tolerable community; but at the expense of any robust or charismatic identity or persona like the other cities.
What exactly do you mean by that lol?

Old 03-25-2022, 03:08 PM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
What exactly do you mean by that lol?
step n fetch it, he thinks we’re coons. Never really been to Boston but he’s guessing. It’s crazy. But this another reason- we have a fractured relationship with other black Americans for this reason and others. There’s a lot that goes into it.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:19 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
step n fetch it, he thinks we’re coons. Never really been to Boston but he’s guessing. It’s crazy. But this another reason- we have a fractured relationship with other black Americans for this reason and others. There’s a lot that goes into it.
It's odd to me that he would essentially say Caribbean Americans / non AA black people are "more passive and would rather acquiesce to what people want out of them" and lack "any robust or charismatic identity or persona like the other cities", when his bio says NYC. I can't really think of any way to interpret those statements except as an attack on non AA black Americans and utter lack of knowledge of NYC's (and the US's and the Caribbean's) black history.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:30 PM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
It's odd to me that he would essentially say Caribbean Americans / non AA black people are "more passive and would rather acquiesce to what people want out of them" and lack "any robust or charismatic identity or persona like the other cities", when his bio says NYC. I can't really think of any way to interpret those statements except as an attack on non AA black Americans and utter lack of knowledge of NYC's (and the US's and the Caribbean's) black history.
It’s Boston.

Greenlight to be slick disrespectful, belittling, hypocritical and/or very selective. As long as you achieve the end goal. I also think this is what he meant he was saying black Bostonians in general as I read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City