Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 11:30 AM

119 posts, read 37,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post

Ok fair, maybe I don't know what y'all attempted to do and perhaps black Boston is in fact making crazy moves in the community. Enlighten me, what were the grand efforts to dominate the city culturally that led black Boston to where it is today? Still having no cultural leverage. I said culturally passive because you guys' presence is lukewarm despite being 24% of the population, live in urban areas and the core of Boston doesn't acknowledge your culture at all.
Quote:
This right here just illustrates what I was saying in my post, my guy. Black Boston never overtook whites when it came to cultural superiority, or even came close nor attempted to (aka passive). & quite honestly, it'll never happen. This happened already in several cities, decades ago. Namely in the cities I listed, but I forgot New Orleans and Detroit too. I won't even get into all the brand worship going on in this thread.
What am I not comprehending? I'm literally quoting and bolding your statements. You criticized us for never overtaking whites, I countered by saying we didn't and don't have the manpower to do so.

You knock us for having no cultural leverage. I then asked you to name me a city with less than 300k blacks in it's city proper that does? Cities like NO and OAK that have a lower overall population than Boston, where blacks constitute a higher percentage don't count to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 11:41 AM

119 posts, read 37,440 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to be a 1:1 comparison. 24% is substantial in any large city in this country, especially in one as urban as Boston.
Forget 24% bro. Our number is 173,089. If we add all these towns that surround and claim Boston that 24% easily goes down to maybe 13-16%. So again, I ask what city on your list is in a similar predicament? What city are we underachieving in relation towards?

Black Population Raw Numbers (East Coast)

NYC: 2,025,846 / 8,336,817
Philadelphia: 670,059 / 1,584,064
Baltimore: 372,711 / 593, 490
DC(proper): 330,996 / 705,749

Boston: 173,089 / 692,600

Old 03-26-2022, 11:46 AM

914 posts, read 1,087,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
We already know that! That’s what we been saying dawg!

The issue is you literally speaking by on sh*t you don’t know like no cultural movements acquiescent and other dumb sh*t . Yea don’t talk about Boston without doing your research, at least on this forum. We don’t appreciate you tryna tel us wtf is or isn’t goin in in our city. Because who tf is you? Get that through your head. You can go talk that talk anywhere else…it is not that hard to admit you don’t know what the hell you are talking about. I know NY dudes think they mow it all and like to run their mouth but I promise sometimes you can just swallow your pride and stop talking.

Yea.. take your ball and go home. .

PS: There’s something called inference, I don’t know if you’ve heard of it but it when people posit opinions and information and you draw logical conclusions and theories based on both what’s omitted and what is stated directly by that person. And I forgot to mention the Black Heritage Trail, National Center of Afro American Artists, and the African American History museum and African Meeting house. All in Boston.
I know BostonBorn isn't trying to act hard on C-D lol. "F off my block!!!".

Yeah, no one knows anything about black Boston. That's the entire point. If you had the pull, we'd know about it, trust. Just don't get upset when I or anyone else says the reasons why you have no pull. Such as being passive and having little to no cultural mobility, lacking in the arts and media sector; and despite all the developments and moves you claim ya making that I'm oblivious to, it isn't causing a single ripple in the black conscience anywhere. Tuff, G.

But aigh't lemme take this game ball home and give it to my neice or something lol.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:49 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
What am I not comprehending? I'm literally quoting and bolding your statements. You criticized us for never overtaking whites, I countered by saying we didn't and don't have the manpower to do so.

You knock us for having no cultural leverage. I then asked you to name me a city with less than 300k blacks in it's city proper that does? Cities like NO and OAK that have a lower overall population than Boston, where blacks constitute a higher percentage don't count to me.
Tbh just a lil side note - Oakland is the same % black as Boston nowadays- but you’re 100% right it was much greater at 47% back in the day.

I think it’s funny he keeps tossing out reading comprehension when we fully understand exactly what he meant because he made his point plainly. He dead rephrased his first post himself because he didn’t choose the right words to describe his point..but we still heard him loud and clear. I don’t know why people think Black people in Boston appreciate being discounted or disregarded- but I think it would stand to reasons that we by and large aren’t and shouldn’t be comfortable with that.

Boston has a history of racism, racial stigma and a dominate white culture that’s not even a question- but that’s not the whole story at all. But it is what many people choose to believe is the whole story. Not everyone, certainly not everyone I meet but too many for my blood. Too many people who will try to talk you down on your own city like they know better or that I have no perspective. Like I haven’t lived and visited other states/cities. Like I don’t have family in other cities. Like I never had friends come up to Boston and give their opinion.

This has been articulated by Black Bostonians for a long time not just you and me. I already posted quotes from Jae’da Turner and Dart Adams but also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...ll-confer.html

A year ago, the Boston Men’s Dinner Group organized a protest in response to the killing of George Floyd. Dozens of members convened at Faneuil Hall on a sweltering Saturday afternoon, standing in silence while holding signs bearing the names of those killed by law enforcement.

The organization aims to draw attendees from around the country to the Boston area for the two-day event. Since 2019, it has helped open Dinner Group chapters in Atlanta, Charlotte and Providence, its first offshoots. The group’s leaders have been in talks with men of color in other cities, including in Los Angeles, about launching more affiliates.

Emerson Foster, a leader of the Boston Men’s Dinner Group and a Takeda human resources executive, sees the conference as an opportunity to showcase a city eager to shed a reputation as a place unwelcoming towards people of color.

“The prevailing wisdom is that every Black person who lives in Boston wants to get out of Boston, and that there are not a great number of us here,” Foster said. “It’s very important, from my perspective, that the broader community understands that there are people of color thriving in the city. Not that we don’t have warts — we do. But there’s a significant community here who loves the city.”

Black business leaders had similar hopes for the annual NAACP conference that was supposed to be held in Boston last year but shifted largely online because of the pandemic. That event, which is now set to be held in Boston in 2023, was expected to draw 10,000 attendees. Foster projected the Men’s Dinner Group conference will draw 400 to 600 attendees, at minimum.
^is that not an attempt?

Old 03-26-2022, 11:53 AM

6,817 posts, read 6,056,933 times
Quote:
This is your fifth or so time putting words in my mouth, this includes me comparing Boston's West Indian culture to Oakland's (wtf?). Never did I compare Boston to Oakland, you buggin.
The wording of these two posts I think is a bit confusing:

Quote:
I just have this feeling that due to the lack of AA influence in black Boston…
Quote:
I wasn't even talking about NYC, I was talking about Boston.

You think I don't know about West Indian cultural influence in the city? I used to run dance circuits with Flex crews and Bruk up back in high school. It's all Jamaican influenced. Those dances are used nationwide now, out in Oakland they called it "Turfin" and they add their own spin to it. But like I said, despite West Indian contributions, massive carnivals, and also being pioneers in the formation of hip-hop, the overall local black cultural zeitgest is still predominantly AA. The only city where the Caribbean influence supersedes the AA culture is Miami or South Florida in general.
You say AA culture is lacking in black Boston then go on to say “the only places where Caribbean influence dominates is Miami”. So which is it?

——————

Quote:
My point was that despite these lists, no one really identifies Boston with black contributions or a magnetic local black culture that creates an easily identifiable aura (like NYC, Philly, Atlanta, etc etc). Don't get mad at me for saying it, I'm just the messenger.

apparently I'm clueless and have no idea what I'm talking about because I'm 300 miles away and you have a Malcolm X Park. My fault, I won't mention Boston lol.
I mean Malcolm X is one famous black person who grew up in the city. It’s not just that there’s a park and a street named after him, his actual house is a registered historic place iirc.

And I thought that Donna Summer, Bel Biv DeVoe, and New Edition are all recognizable black cultural contributions. Maybe not enough to make Boston Tier 1 or Tier 2 but it’s not like Black Bostonians have never made it to a national stage.

Louis Farrakhan is another pretty noteworthy black Bostonian (for better or worse).

Old 03-26-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I know BostonBorn isn't trying to act hard on C-D lol. "F off my block!!!".

Yeah, no one knows anything about black Boston. That's the entire point. If you had the pull, we'd know about it, trust. Just don't get upset when I or anyone else says the reasons why you have no pull. Such as being passive and having little to no cultural mobility, lacking in the arts and media sector; and despite all the developments and moves you claim ya making that I'm oblivious to, it isn't causing a single ripple in the black conscience anywhere. Tuff, G.

But aigh't lemme take this game ball home and give it to my neice or something lol.
I’m trying to act hard? ..stop that. you don’t. Know me I don’t know you. I didn’t threaten you with violence, cut it out. You’re fine

What does passive mean ? What an example of passive vs aggressive? Are the other passive balck communites or just Boston? Cuz it sound like your saying weak.

What do you mean I “claim” we’re making **** is either happening or it isn’t- stop talking out the side of your mouth.m and just speak like an adult.

It not because we’re lacking it’s because there an obvious aversion to Boston and anything pertaining to Boston in the balck community so even when it out in the open it’s willfully ignored.

It’s the only city black rookie go to bay to dump on. And dump on its black residents. Which is exactly what you’re doing.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Forget 24% bro. Our number is 173,089. If we add all these towns that surround and claim Boston that 24% easily goes down to maybe 13-16%. So again, I ask what city on your list is in a similar predicament? What city are we underachieving in relation towards?
You have an issue that I compared Boston to those cities? Then scratch yourself out of the list, no big. It's just that Boston actually has one of the largest urban black communities in the country, that much can't be understated. 173k is not a small number to work with in an urban setting. You can't just "forget" that 24% is in fact very important.

It's like on one hand ya clamor that Boston's black culture is bursting at the seams and is larger than what people give credit for with these long lists and linking trash rappers, on the other there's excuses for why it isn't as productive culturally because of its size, which cities surround it and that it doesn't have manpower to compete.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

You say AA culture is lacking in black Boston then go on to say “the only places where Caribbean influence dominates is Miami”. So which is it?
What's the confusion? Are you alluding to the fact Caribbean culture dominates in Boston or that because Miami lacks AA influence that it should be accounted for like with Boston?

Either way, the Caribbean culture in Miami/SoFlo is so strong that it doesn't require AA influence whatsoever to be identifiable. That's not the case for Boston.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

——————

I mean Malcolm X is one famous black person who grew up in the city. It’s not just that there’s a park and a street named after him, his actual house is a registered historic place iirc.

And I thought that Donna Summer, Bel Biv DeVoe, and New Edition are all recognizable black cultural contributions. Maybe not enough to make Boston Tier 1 or Tier 2 but it’s not like Black Bostonians have never made it to a national stage.

Louis Farrakhan is another pretty noteworthy black Bostonian (for better or worse).
It’s called selective memory bro.black People generally do not want Boston in the black community and as a result will not acknowledge the significance of those things. It’s like how the patriots get dumped on for being white americas tens at least at one point hen most white Americans hated them-- not as much as black people jut yea. I literally just got yelled at by a whit wow man here for liking the patriots.

But they conveniently the teams first three super bowls were on primarily with black stars.

They say the Celtics are called facts despite it championships in the 80s wee won with a black coach, it’s had more black coaches than any team in the NBA, and the first all balck line up.

They conveniently forget the bruins had the first black hockey player.

But they never forget the Red Sox being lost to integrate- it’s all they remember.

They remember And bill riddles house being dumped on. What they fault acknowledge is the only reason that assailant (pre civil rights act) knew bill Russel wasn’t home was because the town was throwing him a personal celebration and parade. They also won’t tell you that didn’t happen in the City of Boston, but far flung reading, Ma.

They remember he said it was a flea market of racism but they forget people were being hanged in the south at that one. They don’t know he opened a nightclub/lounge there and some regularly to the black community at school like the Patrick Lyndon middle school and others. On his own time.

They forget when Lebron came to LA he had “n*gger” spray painted in his garage. It’s not racist when fans heckle their own player Russel Westbrook so bad he doesn’t feel comfortable taking his families to the games. That’s not racist. When you throw popcorn at tear young in Anyc that’s not racist but when you throw a water bottle at an antagonistic Kyrie that’s racist.

They forget Doc Rivers had his house burned down by white supremacist in San Antonio, San Antonio isn’t labeled racist.

They watched the Departed. They didn’t go see Lift when it was in theaters.

They watched Mark Wahlberg and supported him (lol at Jimmy subtler). They don’t go watch Demane Davis like Proud Mary when they’re in theaters.

They won’t admit to this- but it’s all truth

Old 03-26-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You have an issue that I compared Boston to those cities? Then scratch yourself out of the list, no big. It's just that Boston actually has one of the largest urban black communities in the country, that much can't be understated. 173k is not a small number to work with in an urban setting. You can't just "forget" that 24% is in fact very important.

It's like on one hand ya clamor that Boston's black culture is bursting at the seams and is larger than what people give credit for with these long lists and linking trash rappers, on the other there's excuses for why it isn't as productive culturally because of its size, which cities surround it and that it doesn't have manpower to compete.
Naw that’s him- Boston black population is very large no matter how you slice it. Only small compare to some of the largest black communities in the Western Hemisphere. I think UE is massively underestimating how small black population is in most cities. 173k is a lotto. And up to 725k in the CSA. The Boston metro division is 13.7% black compared to a national average of 12.3% Not just the big dawgs. It’s a lot of black peolle but the perspective he’s coming from is just the south NY/Philly Chicago. He’s not thinking about the other cities liek Phoenix San Francisco Austin Denver Seattle Indianapolis Columbus Pittsburgh etc etc. Boston has more black people in its city limits to an Miami has in its city limits.

Oftentimes balck people in Boston are told there’s no black people here so often by other blacks so much they start to internalize it and believe that. It is false. As there are only 20 metro areas with more black and probably even fewer cities with more black people.

The density of the black population in Boston itself (black peoples per square mile) is also probably only behind NYC CHI PHI BMORE DC DET.

But for most black Bostonians their only point of comparison lm is Santa And Philly And then what they see in the media from LA HOU MIA ATL DC. And that’s what they think every city is like: it’s not those are tier 1 extremely unique cities

Boston is not close to that. My only issue with you is how your talking about our character: you’re notnlying about people not really knowing. But it’s still a robust and unique population undoubtedly. We can’t change people mind we can only be us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City