Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 12:16 PM

909 posts, read 1,082,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It not because we’re lacking it’s because there an obvious aversion to Boston and anything pertaining to Boston in the balck community so even when it out in the open it’s willfully ignored.
Bmore's local black culture gets ignored and roasted all the time, doesn't mean they aren't identifiable or unique. No one is listening to Bmore music or checking for Bmore acts in any medium aside from Gervonta Davis or Mo'Nique. Notice how most people referenced their accent and the fact they were a certain pair of shoes as to what makes them stand out, that's about it.

You live there now and have most likely dabbled with the locals and tapped in; would you say its black culture is more unique and robust than Boston's or the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 12:19 PM

119 posts, read 37,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
You have an issue that I compared Boston to those cities? Then scratch yourself out of the list, no big. It's just that Boston actually has one of the largest urban black communities in the country, that much can't be understated. 173k is not a small number to work with in an urban setting. You can't just "forget" that 24% is in fact very important.

It's like on one hand ya clamor that Boston's black culture is bursting at the seams and is larger than what people give credit for with these long lists and linking trash rappers, on the other there's excuses for why it isn't as productive culturally because of its size, which cities surround it and that it doesn't have manpower to compete.
Why can't you just give me another city in our situation? You say 173k is enough, but I look at the most prominent cities in black culture and they all have 300k minimum. Only time you can get away with having lesser is if its a smaller city overall and black people constitute like 40% or more.

All I've claimed is that the city overperforms relatively to its numbers. Never said it was bursting at the seams or that it rings bells; only that its underrated and purposefully ignored by black America.

Only time I brought up Boston rappers was in a Boston vs. Dallas hip-hop thread, so idk if "linking trash rappers" was directed at me or BBMM.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:22 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Why can't you just give me another city in our situation? You say 173k is enough, but I look at the most prominent cities in black culture and they all have 300k minimum. Only time you can get away with having lesser is if its a smaller city overall and black people constitute like 40% or more.

All I've claimed is that the city overperforms relatively to its numbers. Never said it was bursting at the seams or that it rings bells; only that its underrated and purposefully ignored by black America.

Only time I brought up Boston rappers was in a Boston vs. Dallas hip-hop thread, so idk if "linking trash rappers" was directed at me or BBMM.
Ain’t no trash rappers in Boston

/s

Naw it’s some heat here though. Tbh I prefer Boston drill music over NYC drill- a bit more focused, direct and less UK-like. But NYC overall- of course, by many miles.

Cities our size AND percentage who out perform us would be Oakland. So you do have a point, factor size and percentage and you have a point- we are in a tweener stage and probably on par with comparable cities like Indy KC Orlando. Probably more prominent Han those except Indy where it more of a tie. But notice how those cities are not too 10 metros like Bostons and certainly don’t have the white culture and profile of Boston. That is our unique situation.

I think it needs to be understood we have a culture and do stuff but we’re basically paired with a uniquely prominent and large in Raw # white population. Even though our metro is demographically less white than St Louis but the white St. Louis culture isn’t as strong and is more generic than Boston Irish and Italian flair. Not to mention all the other white groups and wealthy white suburbanites. With our numbers it is hard to wade though that.

Not totally sure to this day how or why Boston gets labeled as exceptionally racist though. I guess because the name the Celtics and having an extremely white downtown area for visitors.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Naw that’s him- Boston black population is very large no matter how you slice it. Only small compare to some of the largest black communities in the Western Hemisphere. I think UE is massively underestimating how small black population is in most cities. 173k is a lotto. And up
I'm simply comparing Boston to the cities he listed black culture overtook white culture. Who cares about Phoenix, Indianapolis, etc. I'm focused on the big dawgs.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Ain’t no trash rappers in Boston

/s

Naw it’s some heat here though. Tbh I prefer Boston drill music over NYC drill- a bit more focused, direct and less UK-like. But NYC overall- of course, by many miles.

Cities our size AND percentage who out perform us would be Oakland. So you do have a point, factor size and percentage and you have a point- we are in a tweener stage and probably on par with comparable cities like Indy KC Orlando. Probably more prominent Han those except Indy where it more of a tie. But notice how those cities are not too 10 metros like Bostons and certainly don’t have the white culture and profile of Boston. That is our unique situation.

I think it needs to be understood we have a culture and do stuff but we’re basically paired with a uniquely prominent and large in Raw # white population. Even though our metro is demographically less white than St Louis but the white St. Louis culture isn’t as strong and is more generic than Boston Irish and Italian flair. Not to mention all the other white groups and wealthy white suburbanites. With our numbers it is hard to wade though that.

Not totally sure to this day how or why Boston gets labeled as exceptionally racist though. I guess because the name the Celtics and having an extremely white downtown area for visitors.

All I'm getting at.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
I'm simply comparing Boston to the cities he listed black culture overtook white culture. Who cares about Phoenix, Indianapolis, etc. I'm focused on the big dawgs.
Liek btownboss said black people think black cukture in those cities is not prominent to society at large than it is. It overtook their culture for us but I knew a white girl from Denver that loved to Boston and couldn’t believe how black it was. I told her the east cost is balck that Philly was 41% balck and she wa alike no way Philly?? It’s that black ? I wouldn’t guess like 25%…This was 2017.

Btownboss is right that most white peoples first thought of New York isn’t Jay Z but rather some white guy with a dollar slice. Or always sunny for Philly.

They only really see ATL and Detroit that way.

Hispanic people don’t see Miami and LA as black predomiante cultures- at all.

These are al cities founded by non blacks with primarily non block people in them and non black histories. And that’s a big part of how 87% of the country views them.

Black people decided what cities were valid in the 70s-90s and haven’t wavered on them since. That’s why a non black city like Compton and Oakland still hold cultural relevancy. We invest our money into a handful of cities and the other ones fend for themselves. Usually they wither( luckily in a spot out neighborhoods are very clean and pretty safe, functional, and populated). It’s Fundamentally different than how white Americans and Hispanic Americans approach cities and culture in that respect. You don’t need to be from a certain pace to be legitimate, have an opinion or attract investment from your racial community- and they don’t leave broad swaths of the country unsettled.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:50 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
What's the confusion?
If Boston lacks AA influence and it’s not dominated by Caribbean culture then what (in your mind) defines it?

Old 03-26-2022, 12:56 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Bmore's local black culture gets ignored and roasted all the time, doesn't mean they aren't identifiable or unique. No one is listening to Bmore music or checking for Bmore acts in any medium aside from Gervonta Davis or Mo'Nique. Notice how most people referenced their accent and the fact they were a certain pair of shoes as to what makes them stand out, that's about it.

You live there now and have most likely dabbled with the locals and tapped in; would you say its black culture is more unique and robust than Boston's or the same?
Baltimore has more influence than it is given credit for.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 03-26-2022 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-26-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Baltimore isn’t dumped on like Boston. It’s more like they’re rough/wired good natured ribbing. Compare to Boston it’s about the same in uniqueness prolly more. The culture is certainly more robust and prominent but still a little muted for 60% black I guess. There strong white culture here and high segregation levels compare to DC. In some ways it’s like Boston if it were a lot blacker and a rowhome city: lot of palatable racism I feel here, more than Boston tbh. White people are so uncomfortable around Black people here whereas in Boston they’re very dismissive and oblivious.

Like when I got to basketball court at Patterson Park white dudes like refuse to play with balck people. It’s crazyyy. You ask if they wanna run they say “No”, flatly. They literally go to their own court and click up they’d rather sit on the bench than play with black guys. The VOLO groups here are 98% white. When I go to a white restaurant they all look at me because I’m large/athletic built and have dreads. It’s like they’re hoping and praying I don’t stick up the place. I guess it’s a reaction to being the minority and the high crime but wow, it’s crazy.

Baltimore has its own slang, music and accent and food whereas Bostons more fundamentally different than most of balck America in terms of its social structure not involving the church much at all and all having gone to schools far from our own neighborhoods due to bussing, and the sheer abundance of private schools, Catholic schools, charter schools, pilot schools and the suburban bussing program that still goes on. Something like 40% of balck kids in Boston don’t attend a BPS school and most of those that due are busses to other neighborhoods.

We also lack larger national gangs like Folks/Bloods/BGF. Some individuals claim those gangs within another gang but it’s not really a thing- even other more Hispanic cities in MA have more of that. In Boston the accent and slang is discernible and the food is often a a mix of of various African diasporas on one plate. Different crew in Boston rock a Caesar with various Afro patches on their hair to show affiliation..might be big and wide on the crown, small and down to the left, a rat tail…and there are still people who rep Adidas Park and an Annual Adidas Party for old heads at Kay’s Oasis.

Boston is only the only major city where black people live in triple deckers. https://www.instagram.com/p/CQPObGcn...dium=copy_link Not many places like it. Where else are Black American gonna live next door to a Cape Verdean Verdean Haitian Vietnamese and eat Irish food at Blarney Stone and Soul Food at 50 Kitchen on the same block? Maybe NYC- that’s it.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-26-2022 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-26-2022, 02:20 PM

809 posts, read 467,365 times
I'm curious to hear more about the Midwest/Mountain West/Southwest cities. We've heard a lot about the East Coast and South so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City