Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2022, 10:12 AM

914 posts, read 1,087,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Murphy King, You did. you just deleted it out of your comment. This is getting weird.
If I edited the comment, it'll say underneath that it was edited and the exact date I edited it. You been on this board long enough to know how things work, I gotta hold your hand through that too like I did your bro with basic English? If you read whatever you claimed I said, enough time has passed that if I went back to edit it, it'll say so.

What's weird is you Boston mfs making up lies to keep consistent with a narrative that was faulty from the jump, so I let it see how far it'll go. This is comedy tho, I'm loving the energy lol. Ya really do fall for bait easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 10:14 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Wtf LOL. Hol on, I'll assist you. Let me give you a quick English lesson. Calling all Boston nuts, class is in session!

When you say I "literally" said something...You're gonna have to quote me or show exactly where I said it. Not how you interpreted it through weird Boston insecurity; but how I said it exactly.

If you can't do this one simple and easy thing, then no. I did not "literally" say that and you're once again making sh*t up to mask the fact you're tight about Boston not getting the respect you feel it deserves. Tuff.
Have you ever heard of this thing called paraphrasing?

Old 03-27-2022, 10:20 AM

914 posts, read 1,087,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Have you ever heard of this thing called paraphrasing?
Nah don't do any paraphrasing when you say "literally" just use my wordings as I put it, not your own. It's already in writing. You're still grossly inaccurate in your "paraphrasing" or your "inference" or any of these copouts ya trying to use to seem intelligent and literate.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:26 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
If I edited the comment, it'll say underneath that it was edited and the exact date I edited it. You been on this board long enough to know how things work, I gotta hold your hand through that too like I did your bro with basic English? If you read whatever you claimed I said, enough time has passed that if I went back to edit it, it'll say so.

What's weird is you Boston mfs making up lies to keep consistent with a narrative that was faulty from the jump, so I let it see how far it'll go. This is comedy tho, I'm loving the energy lol. Ya really do fall for bait easily.
If?

Old 03-27-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Because its black culture just simply isn't strong enough? Never gained enough pull in its region? Not AA driven but more West Indian/African driven? Considering blacks only make up 12% of the population in the US, it requires a lot of cultural superiority in your respective area in order to reach that level; which is a stage I don't think black Boston has ever reached. DC, on the other hand, has been culturally black and had a cultural monopoly on this city for decades. Apples to oranges, tbh.

Other large cities that have black cultural superiority are Baltimore, Chicago, Memphis, NYC (fading tho), Philly, Houston, LA (also fading), and of course Atlanta. Among others, but it's honestly not a whole lot.

I just have this feeling that due to the lack of AA influence in black Boston, they're just more passive and would rather acquiesce to what people want out of them. Obviously this makes for a safer, more tolerable community; but at the expense of any robust or charismatic identity or persona like the other cities.
You’re tryna tell me this is your original quote? Stop the cap man… what happens to where you referenced what I said in the other thread about crime?? And the comparison you made in that regard to tiger cities and how I “said it myself†That’s miraculously gone? We’re not total idiots.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:46 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,106,582 times
I have lurked long enough. I-95 centric rumble going for numerous pages. Let me correct someone from way earlier:

-Clarksdale created Blues- People insist on not giving the prime town it's credit instead just broadly Delta or Memphis. It would be like saying South Louisiana for Jazz, Tri-State area for Hip Hop & Disco, Northeast Illinois for House Music, etc.

I understand that Black small town/city culture isn't as prominent in mainstream media/attention but please give the originators their credit too.

There's much debate going with these regional/local slang that I'm raising an inquisitive eyebrow ( Jawn/Bama/Joe/Moe/ Bull/ others). Being from a small city (Columbus) in Northeast Mississippi, some of the slang sounds no different from here. Speaking from the late 90s to high school years (04-08).

Urban Fashion
NYC, LA, DC, Philly, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta

I'm not a trendy clothes person and base this on observation. Whatever was the popular fad based on rappers/atheletes/entertainers in the limelight the most & regional taste is what the youth rock.In my city that i loosely recall from the 90s: Filas,Fubu, Adidas, Nike, Gap, & Polos./2000s: Girbaud, Sean Jones, Bathing Ape, G-Unit (brief) , White Tees XXL ( lol), & Polo. If your affiliated, Pirates/Angels/Georgetown/Indiana University Hats & Air Forces of Blue/Black combo & Red/Black or Gold/Black combo.

Music
New Orleans,Clarksdale, NYC, Chicago, DC, Memphis, Jackson, Detroit

Blues in Mississippi have a sub regional variants to it. From Delta, Hills, Jackson, & Coast.

Slang
Jackson aka Ju City.
Until the trendy cloud drift over here whenever or if ever it happens. Ju / Jew which is an offshoot of Chicago's Joe have been planted in that city for decades. No other city in the Sipp got that slang outside of Chi & Jack transplant. Other cities used slang of southern or country roots. Now that same roots taken to the other major regions of urban black life. How much localized alterations, accents, and afro diversity affected those southern slang is interesting. I recall chatting in a FB music group and the poster shared a couple St Louis slang and I'm like that's common down here. Same with Bay Area and few up the I-95 trendopolis. Bama/Bamma changes meaning around GA/Carolinas border to reference Alabama. So when i read or hear y'all used it towards country folks , I'm seeing Alabama. LoL

Old 03-27-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:

You spoke about this very dynamic in great detail in the murder thread as to why Boston's black murder rate is so low, had no issues in that context saying how orderly y'all are and how the community prevents dysfunction (aka being acquiescent),.
You’re right you didn’t edit your comment. My apologies. here’s the nonsense you said. It was piggybacking off the original.

Explain how not being dysfunctional or homicidal is acquiescent? Do black communities and culture not value functionality and safety in your opinion?

Old 03-27-2022, 12:11 PM

809 posts, read 471,139 times
Quote:
How come NYC doesn't have the same reputation after that Rosedale documentary also from the 70's? There's been loads of racial conflict in NYC, too. I can't even list them all right now, but mainly in Brooklyn and Queens.
No need to bring NYC in this at all.

Because Black NYC voters along with key allies voice their economic and political power time and time again to push back against this. What Boston did to Mayor Janey, who couldn't even serve a full year as Mayor (albeit she ran a lackluster campaign), doesn't help the stereotypes. Perception is reality sometimes.

Ironically, elsewhere in New England, my tiny city of New Haven or even Bridgeport does not have this problem because of Black leadership holding power since the 1970s, with the help of Yale academics (WYBC-FM, the main Black radio station is a part of Yale - this is def unique) and working class Italian voters believe it or not...or folks nationally don't even hold an opinion about the place until they visit and realize how "Black" the city is throughout (Black businesses but also sadly crime in some spots to be fair...maybe it's the NYC influence idk but it's a different flavor from Boston).

Here's an example of New Haven city government bringing in G Herbo, Dancehall singer HoodCelebrityy, and Fat Man Scoop to perform as part of the summer youth concert series: https://www.newhavenindependent.org/...h_dept_concert

G Herbo mentioned how New Haven believed in him and put him on the map. Maybe it's a college town thing, but up and coming acts (Kanye, Kendrick, Kid Cudi at points in time) tend to swing by the city on the way to NYC or Boston before they get big. The point here is that Black culture is prominent here and embraced by the powers to be compared to other places in New England.

Can we get out of the I-95 corridor for a second? I want to hear about other cities/towns.

Last edited by norcal2k19; 03-27-2022 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-27-2022, 12:40 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,629,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
No need to bring NYC in this at all.

Because Black NYC voters along with key allies voice their economic and political power time and time again to push back against this. What Boston did to Mayor Janey, who couldn't even serve a full year as Mayor (albeit she ran a lackluster campaign), doesn't help the stereotypes. Perception is reality sometimes.

Ironically, elsewhere in New England, my tiny city of New Haven or even Bridgeport does not have this problem because of Black leadership holding power since the 1970s, with the help of Yale academics and working class Italian voters believe it or not, or folks nationally don't even hold an opinion about the place until they visit and realize how "Black" the city is throughout (Black businesses but also sadly crime in some spots to be fair...maybe it's the NYC influence idk but it's a different flavor from Boston).

Here's an example of New Haven city government bringing in G Herbo, Dancehall singer HoodCelebrityy, and Fat Man Scoop to perform as part of the summer youth concert series: https://www.newhavenindependent.org/...h_dept_concert

G Herbo mentioned how New Haven believed in him and put him on the map. Maybe it's a college town thing, but up and coming acts (Kanye, Kendrick, Kid Cudi at points in time) tend to swing by the city on the way to NYC or Boston before they get big. The point here is that Black culture is prominent here and embraced by the powers to be compared to other places in New England.

Can we get out of the I-95 corridor for a second? I want to hear about other cities/towns.
Awww man and here we go AGAIN. Don't get you know who started LMAO Btw my ex from Hartford use to put me on to New Haven and Bridgeport so I'm all too familiar with the local black cultures in CT. I was very impressed.

Old 03-27-2022, 12:56 PM

809 posts, read 471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Awww man and here we go AGAIN. Don't get you know who started LMAO Btw my ex from Hartford use to put me on to New Haven and Bridgeport so I'm all too familiar with the local black cultures in CT. I was very impressed.
LOL I mean to be real Mayor Janey is the hometown homegirl done good and it's sad to see that folks couldn't rally to keep her in office. She even moved to Cambridge now! It's not even shade towards Boston just a bit sad actually - like I want to see us win.

Also - Sharif your post about Clarksdale is on point. A lot of our slang comes from small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City