Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2024, 04:36 AM

14,189 posts, read 9,085,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So to take it back to OP's overall point, if you had to create a caricature or the most extreme representative from each city, what would that person be like and how identifiable would they be? Some of mine are based on admittedly outdated information.

New York

Speech: Tracy Morgan/Mike Tyson accent. Frequent use of the words "yo," "son," "B," "god," "ill," "mad" and "deada__." Talking at a brisker pace.

Dress: Avirex jacket, baggy jeans, Timbs, doo-rag underneath fitted cap, chain.

Attitude: Loud, obnoxious, super aggressive.

Philadelphia

Speech: Slurry speech. Frequent use of the words "nut," "nutty," "jawn," "bull" and expressions such as "real rap," "I will grind you up" and "Watch your body!" Also the traditional Muslim greeting.

Dress: Dickie or polo shirt buttoned all the way up. Immaculately maintained Sunni beard and hairline with Bigen. Also any man or woman dressed in full traditional Muslim garb using excessive profanity.

Attitude: More laid back and less aggressive than New York.

Baltimore

Speech: "That's tew much, yo!"

Dress: Long shorts, white tee shirt.

Attitude: More laid back, less aggressive than Philly.

DC

Speech: Slower than Baltimore, a lot of "er" sounds, frequent use of the words "bamma," "jive like," "lover" and "Joe/Moe"

Dress: White or Black tee, jean shorts, slouch socks, New Balances/foam posites/Jordan 11s. Shooters, Madness or We R One shirts.

Attitude: More laid back, less aggressive than Baltimore

Detroit

Speech: "What up, doe!"

Dress: Minks, furs, excessive jewelry, diamond-studded glasses.

Attitude: ???

Chicago

Speech: ???

Dress: ???

Los Angeles

Speech: Snoop Dogg/Juju Watkins accent. Frequent use of words like "fool," "homie," and "shizzle."

Dress: Khakis, Chuck Taylors and plaid. Black tee shirts with Raiders/White Sox hat. Black skull cap.

Attitude: "Pass the ___"

Atlanta

Speech: "Shawty!"

In Philly, I would now add "black hoodie and/or T-shirt, black athletic pants or sweats" in the dress category. Especially among younger men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 05:58 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,661,517 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
So to take it back to OP's overall point, if you had to create a caricature or the most extreme representative from each city, what would that person be like and how identifiable would they be? Some of mine are based on admittedly outdated information.

New York

Speech: Tracy Morgan/Mike Tyson accent. Frequent use of the words "yo," "son," "B," "god," "ill," "mad" and "deada__." Talking at a brisker pace.

Dress: Avirex jacket, baggy jeans, Timbs, doo-rag underneath fitted cap, chain.

Attitude: Loud, obnoxious, super aggressive.

Philadelphia

Speech: Slurry speech. Frequent use of the words "nut," "nutty," "jawn," "bull" and expressions such as "real rap," "I will grind you up" and "Watch your body!" Also the traditional Muslim greeting.

Dress: Dickie or polo shirt buttoned all the way up. Immaculately maintained Sunni beard and hairline with Bigen. Also any man or woman dressed in full traditional Muslim garb using excessive profanity.

Attitude: More laid back and less aggressive than New York.

Baltimore

Speech: "That's tew much, yo!"

Dress: Long shorts, white tee shirt.

Attitude: More laid back, less aggressive than Philly.

DC

Speech: Slower than Baltimore, a lot of "er" sounds, frequent use of the words "bamma," "jive like," "lover" and "Joe/Moe"

Dress: White or Black tee, jean shorts, slouch socks, New Balances/foam posites/Jordan 11s. Shooters, Madness or We R One shirts.

Attitude: More laid back, less aggressive than Baltimore

Detroit

Speech: "What up, doe!"

Dress: Minks, furs, excessive jewelry, diamond-studded glasses.

Chicago

Speech: ???

Los Angeles

Speech: Snoop Dogg/Juju Watkins accent. Frequent use of words like "fool," "homie," and "shizzle."

Dress: Khakis, Chuck Taylors and plaid. Black tee shirts with Raiders/White Sox hat. Black skull cap.

Attitude: "Pass the ___"

Atlanta

Speech: "Shawty!"

Lol you must haven't been out the house since 1994 extreme example or not.
What is the constant use of "er" for DC what are you talkin about.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:06 AM

3,543 posts, read 2,334,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Can forget your pooh sheisty ski mask!
City dudes rock it like it’s FENDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Add in some "F it is Dummy?"
Lmao, that’s when you know you’re in the city city.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:18 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
Quote:
If we're talking about a distinguishable and "unique" culture, which is what the first part of the OP references, then I don't think there are many cities with a distinguishable and unique Black culture outside of Charleston, New Orleans and maybe Houston.

The differences among most cities are superficial. The differences between New York and Memphis slang is unlikely to be the subject of a PhD thesis. But the origins of the Geechee/Gullah dialect has received a fair bit of critical examination by formally trained linguists.

Charleston and New Orleans are also known for their own unique cuisine whereas everywhere else has basic soul food. What you'll find in Atlanta is no different from you'll find in Chicago and that's really no different from what you'll find on the West Coast except for some Louisiana influences.
Why would Houston be in the same category as those 2? Curious to hear. Also when it comes to Charleston I would go beyond the city and categorize the entire LowCountry region or Gullah-Geechie Corridor as distinguishable and unique compared to other areas/cities in this country.

I also think differences in regional culture are a little more than just superficial.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:26 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Also when it comes to Charleston I would go beyond the city and categorize the entire LowCountry region or Gullah-Geechie Corridor as distinguishable and unique compared to other areas/cities in this country.
Sure and you could say the same thing about Louisiana. Most of the same traditions you'll find in New Orleans can also be found 200 miles away in Lake Charles.

Quote:
I also think differences in regional culture are a little more than just superficial.
That's not what I said. I said that the differences between American Black communities from city to city are largely superficial. That's not the same as saying that there are no substantive cultural differences between regions of the U.S.

Foam posites, trap music, slang and accents are superficial differences that are not remotely in the same category as religious/political/social differences or even differences in dialect (as opposed to accents).

Old 04-26-2024, 11:48 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Why would Houston be in the same category as those 2? Curious to hear.
I said "maybe" Houston, meaning I was unsure. But it does seem to have this rodeo/cowboy element to it that makes it a bit unusual among Black communities in large U.S. cities.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:56 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
A festival that is starting to make a comeback in the Hudson Valley up into the Albany NY area: https://hudsonvalley.org/article/what-is-pinkster/

The history of Pinkster, the oldest African American holiday: https://www.timesunion.com/hudsonval...y-18132174.php

https://nyfolklore.org/the-celebrati...ew-york-state/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSy...e=emb_imp_woyt

Old 04-26-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I said "maybe" Houston, meaning I was unsure. But it does seem to have this rodeo/cowboy element to it that makes it a bit unusual among Black communities in large U.S. cities.
So the Black Trail riders aka Black Cowboys element exist all throughout Texas cities and not just Texas either, Northwest, Southwest and Central Louisiana, Arkansas and even some areas of Mississippi. But yeah that's not just a Houston thing.

Quote:
Sure and you could say the same thing about Louisiana. Most of the same traditions you'll find in New Orleans can also be found 200 miles away in Lake Charles.

That's not what I said. I said that the differences between American Black communities from city to city are largely superficial. That's not the same as saying that there are no substantive cultural differences between regions of the U.S.

Foam posites, trap music, slang and accents are superficial differences that are not remotely in the same category as religious/political/social differences or even differences in dialect (as opposed to accents).
New Orleans is very distinct from the rest of Louisiana though. It's not really an extension of Cajun Country. New Orleans is it's own thing.

Old 04-26-2024, 12:16 PM

9,903 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
New Orleans is very distinct from the rest of Louisiana though. It's not really an extension of Cajun Country. New Orleans is it's own thing.
True but New Orleans is culturally closer to Cajun country than it is to northern Louisiana. Anything past Alexandria

Old 04-26-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
True but New Orleans is culturally closer to Cajun country than it is to northern Louisiana. Anything past Alexandria
Well yeah but anybody from Louisiana we'll tell you that New Orleans is distinct enough that it's it's own thing. Same with Cajun country. You know the differences when you're there.

Also when it comes to Lake Charles I’ve heard more people say it’s similar to Houston and SE Texas than it is to New Orleans. Which makes a little more sense considering before Katrina most Black Houstonians/ Southeast Texas Black folks that have Louisiana roots can trace theirs back to Southwest Louisiana.

Last edited by Redlionjr; 04-26-2024 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City