Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more of an identity?
Miami 12 22.64%
New Orleans 41 77.36%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 11:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,266,332 times

Advertisements

Two very different cities, two very different cultures.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 03:23 AM

37,925 posts, read 42,177,228 times
I think both cities' identities are more or less equally built on their geographic locations and tourist appeal. Demographics go to Miami due to heavy immigration which gives it a higher international profile. However, New Orleans has the advantage when it comes to history, architecture, culture, and physical landmarks.

New Orleans for the win, but it's arguably the most unique city in the country. Miami is in the next class of cities though.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:04 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,863,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think both cities' identities are more or less equally built on their geographic locations and tourist appeal. Demographics go to Miami due to heavy immigration which gives it a higher international profile. However, New Orleans has the advantage when it comes to history, architecture, culture, and physical landmarks.

New Orleans for the win, but it's arguably the most unique city in the country. Miami is in the next class of cities though.
You cannot be a cosmopolitan, international city with a strong unique cultural identity to the city itself. In fact the US doesn’t appreciate or work to preserve places with cultural identities, instead calling those cities insular and cliquish, close-minded maybe. Backwater and not with the times. Part of being a melting pot means losing cities like this. Part of having an assimilated “American” culture means losing places like this.

Miami is the opposite of this. It stands as an icon of Latin immigration into the United States for the most part. It is a hub of a good portion of modern day American mainstream media (influencers and new social media, modeling, etc.) and pop culture. Miami is an icon of assimilation of multiple cultures into general American culture. NYC falls into this category also. Now compare that to New Orleans, a city well defined by a couple cultures and then building the entire metro’s identity around those couple cultures and not general “American” culture with an influx of immigration. New Orleans is not known as a place for people to adopt general American culture, a fact proved by New Orleans unique accent, entirely independent languages, and many other behaviors.

What this thread is asking for is a comparison to two cities: one that is a big icon FOR assimilation into general US culture, and one that has been an icon AGAINST assimilation into general US culture. And as a result of that, which has more of an identity?

The answer is New Orleans because it is choosing to be less like everyone other city in the US. Not Miami, a place known for first wave immigrants to get their flavor of American culture and an easy place to assimilate while still being around a couple things here and there that remind them of home.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:07 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,446,202 times
New Orleans has one of the most unique cultures/identities in the world so I vote New Orleans.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:09 AM

21,806 posts, read 12,992,309 times
I wont vote. Dead tie for me for most unique and identifiable cities in the US. granted, I havent been to NOLA..

Old 03-24-2022, 08:17 AM

9,416 posts, read 13,079,950 times
I don’t think Miami lacks an identity so much as New Orleans has an incredibly strong one.

Louisiana is a highly unique state in general. Among other things, it’s the only state whose legal system descends from French civil law (as opposed to English common law).

Old 03-24-2022, 11:48 AM

613 posts, read 332,406 times
Close but the Big easy.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 911,498 times
New Orleans has the most unique identity of any American city. I agree that Miami has a distinct identity, but this isn't close.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:57 AM

8,930 posts, read 6,970,637 times
On the uniqueness and flavor scale, New Orleans wins for me.

On the fame scale, Miami by far. NO is more of a US brand vs. Miami's global brand.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:17 PM

365 posts, read 233,890 times
This is a Final Four matchup right here - I'll give it to New Orleans but Miami is way, way up there too. I agree with MHays - globally, Miami wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City