Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the strongest identity: Pittsburgh or Baltimore
Pittsburgh 63 70.00%
Baltimore 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 10:16 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I
Pittsburgh has the hilly topography, the rivers, bridges and... steel? I don't know. The steel-blue collar stereotype is a bit exhausted and not really a reflection of reality anymore. At least, not how it once was.
I just interviewed a local author I've known for some time in connection with a story I'm doing for the mag about the declining affordability of housing in Philadelphia that will run in the May print issue.

This author has written numerous works of both nonfiction and fiction in which he explores the subject of what goes into making a city's image (and its past as well). He pointed out to me that this city — like most great cities — actually has multiple images and personalities.

He also pointed out that some city images persist long after the conditions that gave rise to them have disappeared. He noted that San Francisco, for instance, still has a reputation rooted in its free-love, hippy, and activist-protest days when all of those aspects of the city have been drowned in a flood of tech-bro money and culture.

So it is with Pittsburgh and steel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 11:14 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
It might have a nice view, but Camden Yards is far more iconic and known.

I honestly am surprised by the vote count. I think they're close and I voted for Baltimore. I think of things like the Wire, harbor, crab cakes, rowhouses, old bay, and a few other things.

Pittsburgh has the hilly topography, the rivers, bridges and... steel? I don't know. The steel-blue collar stereotype is a bit exhausted and not really a reflection of reality anymore. At least, not how it once was.
Heinz Ketchup

Rivers / Tunnels

GNC

Cigarettes

Old 03-29-2022, 11:29 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I could perhaps understand this in a state with multiple large cities like Pennsylvania, Missouri, New York State (though NYC is the 800-pound gorilla there), California, Texas or even Massachusetts, but what other major city does Maryland have?

And don't respond "Washington" — it's not part of that state.

Or perhaps I should ask: What does come to mind first when you hear "Maryland"?
I think of the DC 'burbs just as often as I think of Baltimore.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:43 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Yea when I hear “Maryland” Baltimore actually wasn’t and still isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. I think Prince George’s county, crabs flag and lacrosse. I still think baltimore wins and I loved my visit to Pittsburgh.

Old 03-29-2022, 12:13 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,815 times
Maryland and Pennsylvania have that in common for me in that I don't think of the big cities first when I hear those names. The major cities as well as the states themselves have enough prominance to stand out separately for me. If someone were talking about Philly or Baltimore, I'd expect them to say that and not the state names.

Maryland: Anapolis and that huge bridge/tunnel is first thing to come to mind. Then Bethesda/Chevy Chase

Pennsylvania: Think of like Pennsylvania Dutch, Coal Country, Lancaster, Hershey Park

Old 03-29-2022, 12:40 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Maryland and Pennsylvania have that in common for me in that I don't think of the big cities first when I hear those names. The major cities as well as the states themselves have enough prominance to stand out separately for me. If someone were talking about Philly or Baltimore, I'd expect them to say that and not the state names.

Maryland: Anapolis and that huge bridge/tunnel is first thing to come to mind. Then Bethesda/Chevy Chase

Pennsylvania: Think of like Pennsylvania Dutch, Coal Country, Lancaster, Hershey Park
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel lies entirely within Virginia.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge (a twin span) is in Maryland.

I think, though, that I understand your thought process that separates the large cities from the states they're in. But as a native of the only one of the 50 largest metro core cities that has a counterpart of the same name in the state next door, I know that in some ways, they can't be. "If I were from Kansas City, Kansas, I would have said so."

Old 03-29-2022, 01:06 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,815 times
Quote:
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel lies entirely within Virginia.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge (a twin span) is in Maryland.

I think, though, that I understand your thought process that separates the large cities from the states they're in. But as a native of the only one of the 50 largest metro core cities that has a counterpart of the same name in the state next door, I know that in some ways, they can't be. "If I were from Kansas City, Kansas, I would have said so."
Oh yeah in my mind the bridge from Anapolis was right next to that bridgetunnel. They aren't even in the same state LOL shows how much time I spend on the Chesapeake.

that state/city separation in my mind isn't uniform though. For example Phoenix, Miami, Atlanta, Charleston, Houston(but also Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and several others), Minneapolis, Salt Lake City and others are cities where if I hear their state name, the city is still near the top of the list of things I think about hearing it.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:26 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Heinz Ketchup

Rivers / Tunnels

GNC

Cigarettes
Wait, what does Pittsburgh have to do with cigarettes? If you were talking about say like Winston-Salem or Richmond instead, that'd make more sense. Since historically, those were big manufacturing cities for cigarette production.

At least I don't think Pittsburgh had any cigarette manufacturing plants, but correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe at one time, Pittsburgh did have a few cigarette manufacturing plants? If so, I've never heard a lot of discussion about those plants.

The other three things you said, yes you'd be correct about associating with Pittsburgh. And I do remember once hearing, that GNC's headquarters are in Pittsburgh.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:46 PM

624 posts, read 906,221 times
Quote:
I could perhaps understand this in a state with multiple large cities like Pennsylvania, Missouri, New York State (though NYC is the 800-pound gorilla there), California, Texas or even Massachusetts, but what other major city does Maryland have?

And don't respond "Washington" — it's not part of that state.

Or perhaps I should ask: What does come to mind first when you hear "Maryland"?
Baltimore and I live in Texas. Pennsylvania Philadelphia then Pittsburg. Someone posted about Baltimore having I 95 running through it, been to Baltimore and DC twice Philadelphia once. All three convenient because of 95, haven't been to Pittsburg yet but would like to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City