Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Myrtle beach ranking on leisure offerings
Tier 1: Omaha, OKC, Tulsa, Baton Rouge 25 83.33%
Tier 2: Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh, New Orleans 4 13.33%
Tier 3: Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, Detroit 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 12:05 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Below Tier 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Far, far below all the tiers listed. I thought Omaha OKC Tulsa BR were going to be the highest tier you included. And Myrtle Beach isn't even remotely close to those even.
FYI, the poll specifies "Myrtle beach ranking on leisure offerings."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 12:28 PM

17,164 posts, read 15,373,458 times
I was just there two weeks ago, and it felt like a small town to me... A small town that happens to have a beach.
That said, I went to Murrell's Inlet and was pleasantly surprised... Amazing local restaurants with fresh-caught seafood. Felt like a true, small coastal town without the tourist junk.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:26 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 8 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
FYI, the poll specifies "Myrtle beach ranking on leisure offerings."
Actually, the title of the thread is "How to rank Myrtle Beach? Does it function like a small, middle or large city?"

In which case, I would say Myrtle Beach functions as none of these. It is a large beach town.

Then under Poll Options it says "Myrtle beach ranking on leisure offerings"

Then the body of the OP only talks about Charleston, SC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Even though, Charleston is a metro of maybe barely 500k… but due to the nature of its tourism it may hit way higher on the scale. How would you tier it? I mean this in the realm of offerings like restaraunts, nightlife, entertainment

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

(See Poll)
So, truth be told, I do not understand what is being asked in this thread. If the OP meant Charleston SC, then that is a totally different story. I would say Charleston is definitely Tier 1 with OKC, Omaha, Tulsa, Baton Rouge.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:51 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
I mean, what do people consider leisure?

When I consider major attractions, I think the following:

Museums (art, natural history, etc.) - It doesn't seem to attract that kind of person.
Zoos - Nothing notable, though there is a small aquarium in the area. I'm sure there are "menagerie" type places.
Major-league sports - Nope. Has a minor-league baseball team. Used to have an MLS team, but lost it in 2018. The big draw seems to be...golf?!?
Amusement Parks - Okay, plenty of these
Concert Venues - Good if you like country music, bad if you like anything else.

Overall the region specializes in hokey "family-friendly" tourist traps. Things like the Hollywood Wax Museum, Medieval Times, Children's Pirate Adventure, etc. It seems like not a good area to go if you're single/childless or looking for something remotely "cultured." I mean, I have two kids, and I wouldn't vacation there - my 12 year old daughter just wants to go to big cities with art museums.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:23 AM

128 posts, read 72,105 times
I think living there and visiting there would provide two different experiences in terms of city tier. It is in Tier 3 in terms of living there because outside of tourist focused businesses it is pretty limited. It is a Tier 1 city in terms of leisure activities for a tourist. There are countless restaurants and entertainment options in Myrtle Beach that compare to larger cities like Atlanta and Miami.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:50 AM

17,164 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
I think living there and visiting there would provide two different experiences in terms of city tier. It is in Tier 3 in terms of living there because outside of tourist focused businesses it is pretty limited. It is a Tier 1 city in terms of leisure activities for a tourist. There are countless restaurants and entertainment options in Myrtle Beach that compare to larger cities like Atlanta and Miami.
Uh.... No... Just... No.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:55 AM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My experience is Myrtle Beach is basically somewhere that lower-middle/working class white people think is a "nice" area to have an annual vacation, own a timeshare, or maybe retire. It's certainly not an upscale area though - you want to look at some of the Charleston suburbs or Hilton Head for that.

It's basically the southern version of the Jersey Shore, but with less money. Or somewhere like Fort Meyers in Florida.

Edit: The booming area of SC right now is up in the mountains - particularly around Greenville.
This is pretty spot-on.

The area has done a great job in creating itself as a golfing destination as well though. Catering to more high end travellers.

But this is on point. I grew up visiting Myrtle Beach once a year, travelling from East Tennessee. Folks in East Tennessee would travel to 3 "vacation" locations: Myrtle Beach, SC, Daytona Beach, FL and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, TN.

Myrtle Beach has grown super fast in the past decade or two, and is changing quickly. But it still is a very focused vacation spot for the lower to middle class folks.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:53 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Yeah, I when I first visited Myrtle Beach in 2002, I was expecting a nicer version of Ocean City that was nearly as nice as Miami. Boy, I was disappointed; just more of the same with even worse food (though I did "discover" cheese fries after enjoying some as part of a promotion for a Minor League Baseball game), and although Broadway at the Beach was nice and one of the first lifestyle centers I've visited, it was no better than a typical lifestyle center. "Culture" means Ripley's Believe It Or Not or honky tonk-style music. My favorite restaurant on my visit was Fuddruckers. And even a theme park that was still open back then that I visited has long since closed. Considering that Charleston isn't too far away, you'd think they'd have a miniature version of it downtown with walkable shops, fine art galleries (not the "junk art" you see), but instead, we have a supersized South of the Border by the Beach. If you really want the beach experience, a quieter resort like Surfside Beach is better.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:51 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I mean, what do people consider leisure?

When I consider major attractions, I think the following:

Museums (art, natural history, etc.) - It doesn't seem to attract that kind of person.
Zoos - Nothing notable, though there is a small aquarium in the area. I'm sure there are "menagerie" type places.
Major-league sports - Nope. Has a minor-league baseball team. Used to have an MLS team, but lost it in 2018. The big draw seems to be...golf?!?
Amusement Parks - Okay, plenty of these
Concert Venues - Good if you like country music, bad if you like anything else.

Overall the region specializes in hokey "family-friendly" tourist traps. Things like the Hollywood Wax Museum, Medieval Times, Children's Pirate Adventure, etc. It seems like not a good area to go if you're single/childless or looking for something remotely "cultured." I mean, I have two kids, and I wouldn't vacation there - my 12 year old daughter just wants to go to big cities with art museums.
Wow, Myrtle Beach did briefly have an MLS team?!? I thought this small city would have nothing more than minor league baseball at most, but what do I know?

Myrtle always struck me as being a tourist beach town, a la Ocean City(MD), Destin(FL), Gulf Shores(AL), Virginia Beach(VA), etc. Maybe not quite as redneck-y like as say Daytona Beach(FL) or Panama City(the latter I once heard a relative of mine nickname that place 'redneck riviera'), though. I'm not sure if the Myrtle Beach-Conway area has constructed any venues/stadiums, that would sometimes attract big name music acts. I just worry you'd have to travel to Charleston or Charlotte, to see big name music acts.

I now think I want to look up museums, near Myrtle myself. Of course I'm NOT talking about tourist crap things like wax museums, but real museums like a small art museum, science museum, etc. I do wonder if Coastal Carolina University in Conway, has some sort of small art museum on it's campus at least?

Old 04-02-2022, 10:23 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Actually, the title of the thread is "How to rank Myrtle Beach? Does it function like a small, middle or large city?"

In which case, I would say Myrtle Beach functions as none of these. It is a large beach town.

Then under Poll Options it says "Myrtle beach ranking on leisure offerings"

Then the body of the OP only talks about Charleston, SC:

So, truth be told, I do not understand what is being asked in this thread. If the OP meant Charleston SC, then that is a totally different story. I would say Charleston is definitely Tier 1 with OKC, Omaha, Tulsa, Baton Rouge.
The OP meant Myrtle Beach instead of Charleston (which he later clarified) and the poll heading and the content of the original post make it pretty clear that he was speaking of Myrtle Beach within the context of leisure offerings and not as an overall city. Maybe I'm just willing to give the OP more credit than others in believing he's well aware of the obvious differences between Myrtle Beach and "traditional" cities, especially those anchoring regions at least twice as large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City