Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Myrtle beach ranking on leisure offerings
Tier 1: Omaha, OKC, Tulsa, Baton Rouge 25 83.33%
Tier 2: Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh, New Orleans 4 13.33%
Tier 3: Atlanta, Miami, Phoenix, Detroit 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 10:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I mean, what do people consider leisure?

When I consider major attractions, I think the following:

Museums (art, natural history, etc.) - It doesn't seem to attract that kind of person.
Zoos - Nothing notable, though there is a small aquarium in the area. I'm sure there are "menagerie" type places.
Major-league sports - Nope. Has a minor-league baseball team. Used to have an MLS team, but lost it in 2018. The big draw seems to be...golf?!?
Amusement Parks - Okay, plenty of these
Concert Venues - Good if you like country music, bad if you like anything else.

Overall the region specializes in hokey "family-friendly" tourist traps. Things like the Hollywood Wax Museum, Medieval Times, Children's Pirate Adventure, etc. It seems like not a good area to go if you're single/childless or looking for something remotely "cultured." I mean, I have two kids, and I wouldn't vacation there - my 12 year old daughter just wants to go to big cities with art museums.
Myrtle definitely has plenty of family-oriented spots, but there's also enough to do in general for singles and childless folks. Besides avid golfers, it's not uncommon for friends to take weekend excursions to Myrtle Beach during the tourist season just to hang out and such. But speaking as a South Carolinian, it's a destination that's a lot more popular with folks from outside the state than inside. My last trip to Myrtle Beach was about 20 years ago now that I think about it. I might head there one weekend this spring/summer with a few friends to see what's new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 11:01 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Wow, Myrtle Beach did briefly have an MLS team?!? I thought this small city would have nothing more than minor league baseball at most, but what do I know?

Myrtle always struck me as being a tourist beach town, a la Ocean City(MD), Destin(FL), Gulf Shores(AL), Virginia Beach(VA), etc. Maybe not quite as redneck-y like as say Daytona Beach(FL) or Panama City(the latter I once heard a relative of mine nickname that place 'redneck riviera'), though. I'm not sure if the Myrtle Beach-Conway area has constructed any venues/stadiums, that would sometimes attract big name music acts. I just worry you'd have to travel to Charleston or Charlotte, to see big name music acts.

I now think I want to look up museums, near Myrtle myself. Of course I'm NOT talking about tourist crap things like wax museums, but real museums like a small art museum, science museum, etc. I do wonder if Coastal Carolina University in Conway, has some sort of small art museum on it's campus at least?
https://www.sciway.net/lib/myrtle-beach-sc-museums.html

Old 04-02-2022, 11:06 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I mean, what do people consider leisure?

When I consider major attractions, I think the following:

Museums (art, natural history, etc.) - It doesn't seem to attract that kind of person.
Zoos - Nothing notable, though there is a small aquarium in the area. I'm sure there are "menagerie" type places.
Major-league sports - Nope. Has a minor-league baseball team. Used to have an MLS team, but lost it in 2018. The big draw seems to be...golf?!?
Amusement Parks - Okay, plenty of these
Concert Venues - Good if you like country music, bad if you like anything else.

Overall the region specializes in hokey "family-friendly" tourist traps. Things like the Hollywood Wax Museum, Medieval Times, Children's Pirate Adventure, etc. It seems like not a good area to go if you're single/childless or looking for something remotely "cultured." I mean, I have two kids, and I wouldn't vacation there - my 12 year old daughter just wants to go to big cities with art museums.
Nevertheless, there is something about Myrtle Beach that is drawing lots of people not just to visit but to move there. This is because it is certainly one of the fastest growing metros in the nation. Maybe many retired people find it appealing to move to. Lots of retired people like country music.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:50 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Thanks for the link. Nice to see it has a pinball museum, and also a local art museum that is(surprisingly) free.

Old 04-03-2022, 12:28 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Wow, Myrtle Beach did briefly have an MLS team?!? I thought this small city would have nothing more than minor league baseball at most, but what do I know?

Myrtle always struck me as being a tourist beach town, a la Ocean City(MD), Destin(FL), Gulf Shores(AL), Virginia Beach(VA), etc. Maybe not quite as redneck-y like as say Daytona Beach(FL) or Panama City(the latter I once heard a relative of mine nickname that place 'redneck riviera'), though. I'm not sure if the Myrtle Beach-Conway area has constructed any venues/stadiums, that would sometimes attract big name music acts. I just worry you'd have to travel to Charleston or Charlotte, to see big name music acts.

I now think I want to look up museums, near Myrtle myself. Of course I'm NOT talking about tourist crap things like wax museums, but real museums like a small art museum, science museum, etc. I do wonder if Coastal Carolina University in Conway, has some sort of small art museum on it's campus at least?
Myrtle Beach did not have an MLS team. They had a semi-professional amateur team for 7 seasons before low attendance put the kibosh on that experiment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrtle_Beach_Mutiny

"After seven seasons, the Myrtle Beach Mutiny soccer team is disbanding.

The Mutiny played as an amateur team in the United Soccer Leagues Premier Development League (PDL) for the past two seasons and played its seven home games this past season at the North Myrtle Beach Sports Complex.

The team has been operated by the Coast Futbol Alliance (Coast FA) Youth Soccer Club."

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sp...222231805.html

Old 04-03-2022, 12:36 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
According to Google, the top ten sights in Myrtle Beach are...

1. Broadway at the Beach Shopping Center - Tacky shops and chain restaurants
2. Ripley's Aquarium of Myrtle Beach - The ultimate sign of tackiness
3. SkyWheel Myrtle Beach - I'd ride it, but hardly a "cultural offering"
4. Family Kingdom Amusement Park - third tier family amusement park
5. The Market Common - Gaudy, fake promenade with Banana Republic, Bath and Body Works, and Pottery Barn
6. Barefoot Landing Shopping Center - Tacky shops and chain restaurants
7. Myrtle Beach State Park - The first "sight" I'd actually consider worth a detour for
8. Myrtle Beach Boardwalk and Promenade - Essentially the same thing as #7
9. Myrtle Beach State Park Office - See #7. Not a good sign that a sight is repeated thrice
10. Myrtle Waves Water Park - third tier family water park

https://www.google.com/travel/things...kQuL0BegQIIxA1

The ten best places to see and most are rubbish. And yet people here are still crowing about Myrtle Beach's "world-class" golf and the largest Piggly Wiggly in South Carolina. What a destination! /s

Old 04-12-2022, 04:33 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Myrtle Beach did not have an MLS team. They had a semi-professional amateur team for 7 seasons before low attendance put the kibosh on that experiment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrtle_Beach_Mutiny

"After seven seasons, the Myrtle Beach Mutiny soccer team is disbanding.

The Mutiny played as an amateur team in the United Soccer Leagues Premier Development League (PDL) for the past two seasons and played its seven home games this past season at the North Myrtle Beach Sports Complex.

The team has been operated by the Coast Futbol Alliance (Coast FA) Youth Soccer Club."

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sp...222231805.html
I see. Thanks for mentioning this league, and that Wikipedia page! It's too bad the NPSL(forget the abbreviation they were renamed to later), was disbanded as a soccer league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City