Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What combination of cities are better?
Baltimore, Maryland + Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 41 83.67%
Kansas City, Missouri + St. Louis, Missouri 8 16.33%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 07:56 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

You just had to have me in the back of your head when you posted this tag team matchup! My answers in boldface in the quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
As usual, which of the two are better for

Amenities Philadelphia + Baltimore
Architecture Tossup, believe it or not. It's a shame that so much of St. Louis' has been demolished.
Cost of living Kansas City + St. Louis
Crime Tie — it's also a serious problem in most mid-major Midwestern cities, especially these two
Culture Philadelphia + Baltimore
Diversity Philadelphia + Baltimore, with Philly doing the heavy lifting. You all might be surprised at what you find in Greater Kansas City, however.
Downtowns Philadelphia + Baltimore, though Kansas City's punches above its weight and Baltimore's below its
Food Philadelphia + Baltimore, but: I'm a barbecue fiend, and neither of these cities holds a candle to the ones in Missouri, with KC outranking St. Louis
Friendliness Kansas City + St. Louis — Philadelphians are actually friendlier than our reputation suggests, though. And I know that East Coast denizens consider Midwesterners' outgoing nature suspect and superficial, but I assure you it's genuine
Future of those cities Can I mix and match here? I'd say the future is brighter for Philadelphia and Kansas City than for the other two
Good place to live/visit All four, though I don't much care for KC's drive-everywhere character
Growth Tossup: In rank order, KC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, St. Louis
Nightlife Philadelphia + Baltimore, though again, KC punches above its weight here and Baltimore below its
Outdoor activity Philadelphia + Baltimore
Political views Philadelphia + Baltimore, mainly because the rest of Missouri outweighs its two biggest cities
Population density Philadelphia + Baltimore by a country mile
Quality of life Tie
Skyline Philadelphia + Baltimore, though the Gateway Arch is a dramatic exclamation point on St. Louis'
Shopping Philadelphia + Baltimore, though you will find some luxe districts in both Missouri cities (sort of: there is one in KCMo proper and none in StL proper; the suburban hot spots in KC are in Johnson County, KS, while those in St. Louis are in St. Louis County, which, like Baltimore County, is separate from the city)
Sports culture Philadelphia + Baltimore
Things to do Philadelphia + Baltimore, though neither city has anything like St. Louis' Missouri Botanical Garden
Weather Philadelphia + Baltimore. Springtime in the Midwest works against it.
I still love my forever hometown to death, and like most expat Kansas Citians, carry a piece of it in my heart. But even that doesn't prevent me from acknowledging which pair is the bigger powerhouse, and it's the pair on the East Coast. However, those of you who have not visited Kansas City should do so sometime; I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 04-01-2022 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 08:53 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
The problem here is that Philly alone has more to offer than St Louis and KC combined, but a lot of people don't want to chance going to either Philly or Bmore because of crime and or just idiotic policies. not sure how it is in the midwest lately but it is probably better than the mid atlantic.

Old 04-02-2022, 09:13 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,120,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
The problem here is that Philly alone has more to offer than St Louis and KC combined, but a lot of people don't want to chance going to either Philly or Bmore because of crime and or just idiotic policies. not sure how it is in the midwest lately but it is probably better than the mid atlantic.
St. Louis had the highest homicide rate in the country for the past 3 years…
I don’t see how crime is even relevant since most People on this website already know which areas to avoid when traveling.

Old 04-02-2022, 09:19 PM

663 posts, read 306,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
St. Louis had the highest homicide rate in the country for the past 3 years…
I don’t see how crime is even relevant since most People on this website already know which areas to avoid when traveling.
Ashby....no offense but with Philly on par or surpassing Chicago in homicides as a smaller city You wanna go there.

I read your Philly forum comments in its crime threads.

Clearly, visitors to cities avoid the highest crime hoods or should. Still some they find it regretfully, way too easy to find themselves in sadly. Even gentrifying areas look hood too long.

Maybe say at least Philly is not Baltimore right? Some like to say that.

Last edited by Chi-town; 04-02-2022 at 09:28 PM..

Old 04-03-2022, 12:46 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,324,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Ashby....no offense but with Philly on par or surpassing Chicago in homicides as a smaller city You wanna go there.

I read your Philly forum comments in its crime threads.

Clearly, visitors to cities avoid the highest crime hoods or should. Still some they find it regretfully, way too easy to find themselves in sadly. Even gentrifying areas look hood too long.

Maybe say at least Philly is not Baltimore right? Some like to say that.
They are all bad, and all of them need to fix their issues, so which one is "worse" is pointless in the context of this thread..

Philly (like Chicago) is large enough that you'd have to actively venture deep into it's interiro to find its worst areas so they can and are avoided. Baltimore's rough area's aren't as centralized as Philly's and becuase the city is smaller a lot of times they are within "ear shot" of touristy spots. St. Louis's are largely centralized on the north side of the city, so it's easier to avoid than Baltimore despite it being the more dangerouse city per/captia.

KC has crime for sure, but it's nowhere near the other 3 in real world or perceived violence/crime and it's actully run well, so it would be the "winner" in this sense.

Irl, anyone whose visits these cities already knows their rep and knows what areas to avoid, so it's pretty irrelevent to that demographic.

Last edited by Joakim3; 04-03-2022 at 01:05 AM..

Old 04-03-2022, 12:48 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Kansas City is the only city here that's well-run. The other 3 are varying levels of civic hot messes.

That said, it's hard to see how KC/STL can compete with the tourism and entertainment offerings of two metro areas that total 9 million people (nearly 2x larger than KC/STL).

Old 04-03-2022, 04:44 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Kansas City is the only city here that's well-run. The other 3 are varying levels of civic hot messes.

That said, it's hard to see how KC/STL can compete with the tourism and entertainment offerings of two metro areas that total 9 million people (nearly 2x larger than KC/STL).
Overall, they can't — seems to me that's clear to everyone.

But there are people out there who will still prefer some of the things they have an edge on (barbecue, COL) instead. And are willing to put up with the threat of tornadoes in the spring and colder winters to get them. Some of those people have even cast votes in this poll.

Edited to add: And while the Ozark Plateau's mountains aren't all that high — they're more like the Poconos than any other Eastern mountains — and the Lake of the Ozarks is no ocean, I can assure you that the Ozarks are really nice. That's the vacation playground both Missouri cities share: their upper reaches are about an hour away from each.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 04-03-2022 at 04:56 AM..

Old 04-03-2022, 01:18 PM

613 posts, read 327,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Baltimore and Pittsburgh vs St. Louis and Kansas City would’ve been much better. Philadelphia is larger than St. Louis and Kansas City combined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Exactly. Another lopsided thread. Do better at making the playing field more even.
Ok guys I created the thread just now: Baltimore + Pittsburgh vs Kansas City + St. Louis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City