Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is is the fourth city of the Big 4 American cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, ...)
Boston 11 4.10%
Philadelphia 23 8.58%
Washington, DC 88 32.84%
Detroit 2 0.75%
Miami 11 4.10%
Atlanta 4 1.49%
Houston 42 15.67%
Dallas 12 4.48%
San Francisco 70 26.12%
Seattle 5 1.87%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 09:25 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,051,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Why is Boston deserving of its own tier? Why would Philadelphia/Seattle be placed on a separate tier below Miami/Houston/Dallas/Atlanta?
Higher GDP per capital, much more venture capital, and weightier Ed/Med/Fin institutions.

Though I could see Houston/Boston being together on that higher tier. Still, neither is #4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 09:27 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Higher GDP per capital, much more venture capital, and weightier Ed/Med/Fin institutions.

Though I could see Houston/Boston being together on that higher tier. Still, neither is #4.
If it's GDP per capital, I think Seattle shoots past the sunbelt cities and is close to Boston. There's been quite a few influential companies from there, no?

Old 04-13-2022, 09:36 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Quote:

Interesting that you say that, because that's precisely how I would group them. Boston has a lot of economic clout for a number of reasons, and it anchors a very large CSA, but I do see Houston as a peer region for its clout as well, even as its robust energy sector has taken a hit in recent years.

After that, I just personally don't discern a "slam dunk" difference between the statures of Philadelphia, Seattle, Miami, and Atlanta. All have their strengths and weaknesses to place one ahead of the others.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If it's GDP per capital, I think Seattle shoots past the sunbelt cities and is close to Boston. There's been quite a few influential companies from there, no?
Yup. Seattle’s up there too! It doesn’t have the same level of schools, hospitals, and financial institutions as Boston, though. And (though I usually shy away from using this) it is a bit smaller than the others in terms of population.

So probably the tier below Boston/Houston but on-par with Atlanta. I’d throw Philly there too.

But, again: #4 has to be DC or SF. I voted for the latter as tech is king and being the seat of government isn’t as big a deal as it’s often made out to be.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:55 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,423,668 times
Quote:
Why is Boston deserving of its own tier? Why would Philadelphia/Seattle be placed on a separate tier below Miami/Houston/Dallas/Atlanta?

Not trying to be contrarian, but I just don't see the point of making a thread just so people can throw around rankings without some explanation behind it.
I based my list on GDP, cultural output, and global and national brand.

I originally said DC, Boston, or SF could be #4 but rethinking about it I think Boston should drop a tier and #4 is a toss up between SF and DC.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Interesting that you say that, because that's precisely how I would group them. Boston has a lot of economic clout for a number of reasons, and it anchors a very large CSA, but I do see Houston as a peer region for its clout as well, even as its robust energy sector has taken a hit in recent years.

After that, I just personally don't discern a "slam dunk" difference between the statures of Philadelphia, Seattle, Miami, and Atlanta. All have their strengths and weaknesses to place one ahead of the others.
You left Dallas off, which I think is very close to Houston as far as influence.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:10 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
But, again: #4 has to be DC or SF. I voted for the latter as tech is king and being the seat of government isn’t as big a deal as it’s often made out to be.
I hate to be that guy, but this is super disingenuous. Like others have stated the dismissiveness of DC here is pretty shocking. It is the capital city of the entire country.

Especially if we're speaking on city vs city SF is no match for the importance or relevance of DC based on the institutions based in the respective cities themselves, and just the pure magnitude of importance in DC elevates above SF easily.

Nothing in the city of San Francisco compares to having the United States Capitol, the White House, the Supreme Court, the World Bank, the State Department, IMF, DOJ, FBI, 100's of think tanks, 177 embassies and consulates, the Pentagon (has a DC address directly across the river), the world's largest museum complex etc. DC is the 3rd news media hub in the United States after NYC and Los Angeles. San Francisco is not even in the top 5. The entire Bay Area does great and catches up to DC and Chicago, mostly on economics, but it really takes the overall Bay region which includes San Jose to do this.

San Jose is the largest city in the Bay Area. SF proper may have DC on a cultural basis, but it's got nothing comparable on a relevance basis. There's a lot happening there for sure, but just not more important things taking place in the city proper of SF than in DC on a daily basis. Quite honestly DC makes the same argument vs Chicago or LA. I won't put it so high as #2 but the relevance is glaring and obvious.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-13-2022 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-13-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Yup. Seattle’s up there too! It doesn’t have the same level of schools, hospitals, and financial institutions as Boston, though. And (though I usually shy away from using this) it is a bit smaller than the others in terms of population.

So probably the tier below Boston/Houston but on-par with Atlanta. I’d throw Philly there too.

To me, NYC and LA are easily 1 and 2.

DC/Chicago/SF are easily 3-5. Now, you can talk me into which one is 3, 4 or 5 and I'd likely listen. However, I don't believe Houston or Dallas would be ahead of this trio, not now.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:38 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I hate to be that guy, but this is super disingenuous. Like others have stated the dismissiveness of DC here is pretty shocking. It is the capital city of the entire country.

Especially if we're speaking on city vs city SF is no match for the importance or relevance of DC based on the institutions based in the respective cities themselves, and just the pure magnitude of importance in DC elevates above SF easily.

Nothing in the city of San Francisco compares to having the United States Capitol, the White House, the Supreme Court, the World Bank, the State Department, IMF, DOJ, FBI, 100's of think tanks, 177 embassies and consulates, the Pentagon (has a DC address directly across the river), the world's largest museum complex etc. DC is the 3rd news media hub in the United States after NYC and Los Angeles. San Francisco is not even in the top 5. The entire Bay Area does great and catches up to DC and Chicago, mostly on economics, but it really takes the overall Bay region which includes San Jose to do this.

San Jose is the largest city in the Bay Area. SF proper may have DC on a cultural basis, but it's got nothing comparable on a relevance basis. There's a lot happening there for sure, but just not more important things taking place in the city proper of SF than in DC on a daily basis. Quite honestly DC makes the same argument vs Chicago or LA. I won't put it so high as #2 but the relevance is glaring and obvious.
Yawns. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

2018 CSAs by Total Federal Income Tax Liability, 2018
$199.5 Billion New York-Newark CSA
$108.4 Billion San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA
$101.5 Billion Los Angeles-Long Beach CSA
$66.4 Billion Washington-Baltimore-Arlington CSA
$63.8 Billion Boston-Worcester-Providence CSA
$62.2 Billion Chicago-Naperville CSA
$47.3 Billion Miami-Port St Lucie-Fort Lauderdale CSA
$40.9 Billion Dallas-Fort Worth CSA
$37.7 Billion Houston-The Woodlands CSA
$36.9 Billion Seattle-Tacoma CSA
$20.4 Billion Phoenix-Mesa CSA

Old 04-13-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It is the capital city of the entire country.
So are Canberra and Ottawa. I think DC is a juggernaut of a city for sure, but just having all those institutions you listed isn’t a deal maker in and of itself. And yes: I lump the whole Bay Area together when discussions like this come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City