Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is is the fourth city of the Big 4 American cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, ...)
Boston 11 4.10%
Philadelphia 23 8.58%
Washington, DC 88 32.84%
Detroit 2 0.75%
Miami 11 4.10%
Atlanta 4 1.49%
Houston 42 15.67%
Dallas 12 4.48%
San Francisco 70 26.12%
Seattle 5 1.87%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 10:53 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRGANIC View Post
NYC is the juggernaut. It's on the same level as London, Shanghai, Johannesburg, Rio, Sydney, and Mexico City. It is the "it" city of North America.

The middle four cities that I mentioned are not the capitals of their respective countries, btw.

Sao Paulo>Rio de Janeiro...by a lot actually as far as economic and political prominence in Brazil.

Pretoria is only 40 miles from Johannesburg and they function more or less as a CSA. I lived in Pretoria East and flew into and out of Tambo all the time, spent much of my time in Sandton, etc. It reminded me a lot of California or Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 11:34 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How is DC not number 1 over NYC? DC is the Capitol of the most powerful country on earth. NYC is a city within the US.
Cuz dc was the confederate capital

Old 05-07-2022, 12:16 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Bro, it's a legit question. If DC can make an argument for why it should be above every other city, then why not NYC? Can't be size because Chicago, Dallas and Houston are also larger metros.
I'd put more precedence on economy, cultural influence, global impact, political influence etc. ahead of MSA population totals. The metros aren't even close the same size physically, which is why the CSA rankings are so much different, due to others like SF or DC having major cities adjacent.

I know this thread OP is rambling a bit, so maybe he/she is just getting at MSA size, but regarding NYC it's still the most imposing city overall. I'd say after that you can start making discussions on which cities carry the most weight in a multitude of factors, and not just pure "metro area" size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Cuz dc was the confederate capital
You must mean Richmond, VA.

Last edited by the resident09; 05-07-2022 at 12:31 AM..

Old 05-07-2022, 10:19 AM

104 posts, read 46,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sao Paulo>Rio de Janeiro...by a lot actually as far as economic and political prominence in Brazil.

Pretoria is only 40 miles from Johannesburg and they function more or less as a CSA. I lived in Pretoria East and flew into and out of Tambo all the time, spent much of my time in Sandton, etc. It reminded me a lot of California or Australia.
My point still stands.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:24 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

You must mean Richmond, VA.
In his eyes it’s dc

Old 05-07-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Resident you have a point, and I've seen this same argument brought up countless times before, that being said why the hell would NYC get a pass? Wouldn't that propel DC to #1? Shouldn't this discussion be about Chicago vs SF for the #4 spot? My point being is that it's either #1 or it falls to #5 using this criteria, if you or others are willing to give NYC the first spot then you can't use that same argument against SF or any other city.
NYC is the mecca, and still probably more well known than DC

Old 05-07-2022, 11:10 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Mexico City isn't North America.
Mexico is definitely in North America — the only Spanish-speaking country of the three.

Central America begins at Mexico's southern border. And arguably, all of Central America is part of the continent of North America, given that most do not include Panama, its narrowest part, as part of South America. North and South America are the only two continents in the Western Hemisphere, they are joined by the Isthmus of Panama, and Central America isn't an island or a continent of its own.

Therefore...Central America is part of North America too, just as the Middle East (minus Egypt west of the Suez Canal and Red Sea) is part of Asia.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Mexico is definitely in North America — the only Spanish-speaking country of the three.

Central America begins at Mexico's southern border. And arguably, all of Central America is part of the continent of North America, given that most do not include Panama, its narrowest part, as part of South America. North and South America are the only two continents in the Western Hemisphere, they are joined by the Isthmus of Panama, and Central America isn't an island or a continent of its own.

Therefore...Central America is part of North America too, just as the Middle East (minus Egypt west of the Suez Canal and Red Sea) is part of Asia.
actually I like that argument that central america is part of north america.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:17 AM

629 posts, read 409,465 times
I think you really have to consider San Francisco in the context of the entire bay area, as if it was all one big city, with a lake in the middle of it.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:46 AM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Quote:
NYC is the juggernaut. It's on the same level as London, Shanghai, Johannesburg, Rio, Sydney, and Mexico City. It is the "it" city of North America.

The middle four cities that I mentioned are not the capitals of their respective countries, btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Pretty Cool to See an African City get a mention with the Big Dogs Like New York and Los Angeles etc for a change.
(looking forward to see how lagos, nairobi and cairo play out in this regard)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City