Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is is the fourth city of the Big 4 American cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, ...)
Boston 11 4.10%
Philadelphia 23 8.58%
Washington, DC 88 32.84%
Detroit 2 0.75%
Miami 11 4.10%
Atlanta 4 1.49%
Houston 42 15.67%
Dallas 12 4.48%
San Francisco 70 26.12%
Seattle 5 1.87%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 02:59 PM

497 posts, read 352,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Product announcements from Apple do get a lot of global media coverage--too much I think. The bigger picture though is that a massive proportion of the world, not just the US, gets its news (and even commentary and misinformation) of things of immediate national or global ramifications via services headquartered in the Bay Area. The basic underlying infrastructure is what the Bay Area and its companies have built. Do I buy that and other related factors are enough to argue for #1 given that there are other places with substantially larger populations and GDP? Probably not, but I can see some points in it.
I see tech as super important but in a different aspect. I think tech is very important for the microeconomy, as it relates to people's everyday life and purchases. Finance, such as investment banking, is more important for macro. Of course both tech and finance are very important for both micro and macro, but relatively speaking one is more important in one aspect than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 05:58 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Product announcements from Apple do get a lot of global media coverage--too much I think.
I didn't say "global media coverage." I said that there is not enough earth-shattering news coming out of the Bay Area on a regular basis where the major news organizations see it fit to have a large, permanent presence there.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
I see tech as super important but in a different aspect. I think tech is very important for the microeconomy, as it relates to people's everyday life and purchases. Finance, such as investment banking, is more important for macro. Of course both tech and finance are very important for both micro and macro, but relatively speaking one is more important in one aspect than the other.
I think this is a pretty decent distinction, actually.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:20 PM

There's a difference between Apple announcing the release of the iPhone 14 Pro and Jerome Powell announcing interest rate hikes. The response to the former is "Oh cool." The response to the latter can be anything from layoffs to foreclosures to massive declines in consumer spending. And NBC won't have an entire bureau in the Bay Area for the sole purpose of providing weekly updates about tech coming down the pipeline. That is not anything that impacts people's lives in an IMMEDIATE way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9eWZr79XXI

Old 05-19-2022, 06:28 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't say "global media coverage." I said that there is not enough earth-shattering news coming out of the Bay Area on a regular basis where the major news organizations see it fit to have a large, permanent presence there.
Quote:
There's a difference between Apple announcing the release of the iPhone 14 Pro and Jerome Powell announcing interest rate hikes. The response to the former is "Oh cool." The response to the latter can be anything from layoffs to foreclosures to massive declines in consumer spending. And NBC won't have an entire bureau in the Bay Area for the sole purpose of providing weekly updates about tech coming down the pipeline. That is not anything that impacts people's lives in an IMMEDIATE way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9eWZr79XXI
Absolutely, I'm agreeing with you. The Apple comment was meant to be tongue in cheek and snark about Apple fanboys. The Bay Area does have regional bureaus for most of the major national and international news organizations including BBC, CNN, ESPN, MSNBC, Al Jazeera America, Russia Today, CCTV America, and PBS, but it's certainly a far cry from what's in DC or NYC and even then the reports on what's happening aren't generally as frequent or notable.

The argument for the Bay Area though would be how these companies have greatly changed how this news is distributed. You yourself are now posting a youtube link. The Bay Area isn't the origin of the news nor where the company that produced that news segment is based. Instead, it produces the underlying infrastructure on which you are distributing that and that goes for news whether very consequential or completely inconsequential. It also goes for not just the US, but for what is likely a majority of the world's population at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
Yea, that's also a factor and part of how someone would try to make a reasonable argument for the Bay Area at the top. Visa, paypal, and a host of other payments used globally (different from banks and financial institutions which are generally top dog in their respective countries but not elsewhere) are also based in the Bay Area. Here, too, some of the basic underlying infrastructure of the economic system is also from companies headquartered in the Bay Area.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-19-2022 at 06:37 PM..

Old 05-20-2022, 06:59 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
You yourself are now posting a youtube link. The Bay Area isn't the origin of the news nor where the company that produced that news segment is based. Instead, it produces the underlying infrastructure....
But it's the underlying infrastructure as important or more important?

Tech is relatively new so we can track the origin. Something like clothes is arguably more important than tech, but it's so ancient and origins so widespread that we don't give importance to where cloth is made. And certainly no one would say the cloth is more important than the Versace outfits even though without the cloth maker there works be no Versace.

Similarly in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if the poster used a YouTube link. It is ubiquitous like cloth. It's the content that matter. The content is distributed via YouTube for convenience, but without YouTube the content would still be very important.

Similarly, clothing is judged by the designer, not where the cloth is from. Well I guess back in the day people had a tub for silks from the far east, but that just highlights the point of the newness of tech.

DC is important all day everyday. SF is very important in that it is producing things that affect our daily lives, but we can't rank its importance on what it has already done, we need to rank its importance on what effect it continues to have on the world.

SF is a top city because it continues to produce innovation that changes the World.

DC is important because it continues to make decisions that change the world.

Boston is important because it continues to produce Biomedical innovations that change the world.

Philadelphia is important because it continues to produce pharmaceutical innovations that change the world.

New York is important because it continues to make financial decisions that greatly affect the global markets.

Houston is important because it continues to make energy decisions that greatly affect the global markets.

I am not saying that the past is not important. The decisions that have already been made in DC are very important because they continue to affect our daily lives, but what is more important is that DC is continuing to affect our daily lives.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Tech is relatively new so we can track the origin. Something like clothes is arguably more important than tech, but it's so ancient and origins so widespread that we don't give importance to where cloth is made. And certainly no one would say the cloth is more important than the Versace outfits even though without the cloth maker there works be no Versace.

Similarly in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if the poster used a YouTube link. It is ubiquitous like cloth. It's the content that matter. The content is distributed via YouTube for convenience, but without YouTube the content would still be very important.

Similarly, clothing is judged by the designer, not where the cloth is from. Well I guess back in the day people had a tub for silks from the far east, but that just highlights the point of the newness of tech.

DC is important all day everyday. SF is very important in that it is producing things that affect our daily lives, but we can't rank its importance on what it has already done, we need to rank its importance on what effect it continues to have on the world.

SF is a top city because it continues to produce innovation that changes the World.

Boston is important because it continues to produce Biomedical innovations that change the world.

Philadelphia is important because it continues to produce pharmaceutical innovations that change the world.

New York is important because it continues to make financial decisions that greatly affect the global markets.

Houston is important because it continues to make energy decisions that greatly affect the global markets.

I am not saying that the past is not important. The decisions that have already been made in DC are very important because they continue to affect our daily lives, but what is more important is that DC is continuing to affect our daily lives.
How important the underlying infrastructure is is hard to gauge and what metrics you get from it often come from the companies themselves which also do the analysis and much of the filtering and targeting of what gets shown to some degree. That it's a youtube link or aggregated by google news service is impactful in how wide and quickly the information is spread and to which people as well as the commentary on it, but it's difficult to gauge how important that is though the effects of this are certainly still daily and ongoing.

I agree clothes are more important in terms of functional usage as is food and shelter--all sorts of things that aren't really quite that centralized. However, tech does get involved in a lot of different sectors and has been increasing its footprint as "tech" as an industry is sort of an odd catchall of trying to iterate on different products or services in order to create larger markets. I'll also add that the Bay Area is also a prominent biomedical, pharmaceutical, financial services, and energy hub for the US some of which have notable tech components to them.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-20-2022 at 10:19 AM..

Old 05-20-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Yeah, I wonder where Marburg, Germany would rank in importance since the first COVID-19 vaccine was developed there. Above, London, I guess.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I wonder where Marburg, Germany would rank in importance since the first COVID-19 vaccine was developed there. Above, London, I guess.
That's an interesting take on it. I guess you can make a case for things being judged on very short timescales though I think with something like the vaccine there's a lot to consider with precursors to developing such as well as rival vaccine developments.

Isn't it more accurate to associate the Pfizer0BioNTech vaccine with Mainz though? That's part of the massive Frankfurt Rhine-Main Metropolitan Region.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-20-2022 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-20-2022, 04:06 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
That's an interesting take on it. I guess you can make a case for things being judged on very short timescales though I think with something like the vaccine there's a lot to consider with precursors to developing such as well as rival vaccine developments.

Isn't it more accurate to associate the Pfizer0BioNTech vaccine with Mainz though? That's part of the massive Frankfurt Rhine-Main Metropolitan Region.
Clinical and full-scale manufacturing of Pfizer’s vaccine happened in the Boston area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City