Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Suburban Smackdown! Which suburb is the better of the two?
Brookline, Massachusetts 14 60.87%
Hoboken, New Jersey 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 10:58 AM

1,675 posts, read 1,080,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I guess- not really IMO. there’s a lot of very large apartment buildings and very large apartment buildings as well as triple deckers.

Brookline Village and Coolidge corner have a lot of Bryn Mawr look... but there’s some pretty major differences in scale/modernity. I always say it- a lot of what people think is "Boston" is actually Cambridge or Brookline.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3505...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3494...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3487...7i16384!8i8192

Large Modern hotel+ Triple Decker doesnt give me Bryn Mawr: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3308...7i16384!8i8192
The pics you're showing are only one part of Brookline as you said prior. I am talking about the stretch of Brookline along that lake, river with all the stately homes and the lake/river across from them as you make your way into Boston proper. That part of Brookline looks very Main Line'ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 11:01 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
I wouldn't call Hoboken a suburb. Suburbs don't usually have a major rail terminal with multiple lines terminating at it.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:28 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
The pics you're showing are only one part of Brookline as you said prior. I am talking about the stretch of Brookline along that lake, river with all the stately homes and the lake/river across from them as you make your way into Boston proper. That part of Brookline looks very Main Line'ish.
While I agree part of Brookline look very Maine Line-ish:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3210...7i16384!8i8192

I showed 3 different parts of Brookline

One is Brookline near BU Comm Ave (northernmost I shared)

One is Coolidge Corner. (intermediary)

the other along Route 9 near Mission Hill and Roxbury (southernomst of the three I shared)

Even down by Cleveland Circle and the reservoir it is pretty built up. (There are 2 resevoirs in Brookline)

Southern Brookline is very different but Brookline as a city is equally defined by its more suburban parts and its more urban parts. Because they're very intertwined.

For Example this is Brookline. About 4 minute on foot to the southwest this is brookline

Even Southern Brookline (where I went to elementary)

You have this a stones throw from this

Brookline is about 9.5k ppsqmi and much of that is parkland/ The residential density is pretty high. Especially in the Northern half (Northernmost 1/3rd is the super high density zone).

Its not comparbale to Hoboken, it really isnt. But its much much larger and more urban than Bryn Mawr. Bryn Mawr and other mainline towns have pretty tiny populations compared to the ~65k in Brookline. What makes brookline great is it has beautiful architecture in its more suburban parts and its delightfully urbane in its urban parts.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 04-13-2022 at 12:52 PM..

Old 04-13-2022, 12:21 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Visually Hoboken has more in common with Boston's South End than it does with Brookline.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:01 PM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
While I agree part of Brookline look very Maine Line-ish:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3210...7i16384!8i8192

I showed 3 different parts of Brookline

One is Brookline near BU Comm Ave (northernmost I shared)

One is Coolidge Corner. (intermediary)

the other along Route 9 near Mission Hill and Roxbury (southernomst of the three I shared)

Even down by Cleveland Circle and the reservoir it is pretty built up. (There are 2 resevoirs in Brookline)

Southern Brookline is very different but Brookline as a city is equally defined by its more suburban parts and its more urban parts. Because they're very intertwined.

For Example this is Brookline. About 4 minute on foot to the southwest this is brookline

Even Southern Brookline (where I went to elementary)

You have this a stones throw from this

Brookline is about 9.5k ppsqmi and much of that is parkland/ The residential density is pretty high. Especially in the Northern half (Northernmost 1/3rd is the super high density zone).

Its not comparbale to Hoboken, it really isnt. But its much much larger and more urban than Bryn Mawr. Bryn Mawr and other mainline towns have pretty tiny populations compared to the ~65k in Brookline. What makes brookline great is it has beautiful architecture in its more suburban parts and its delightfully urbane in its urban parts.
Did you attend Heath or Baker?

Old 04-13-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Did you attend Heath or Baker?
Not METCO, private-Chestnut Hill School.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:40 PM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Not METCO, private-Chestnut Hill School.
Ah, ok.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:59 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I wouldn't call Hoboken a suburb. Suburbs don't usually have a major rail terminal with multiple lines terminating at it.
I agree. I guess you could call any smaller municipality next to a big one a suburb but "suburb" implies a largely residential area away from and often politically independent of the city but connected with the city in every other way. Hoboken was a port city. It's dense with walkup tenements and some rowhouses. It had a typically lousy school system and corrupt mayor and council in the mold of the Hague machine. New York City gobbled up everything next to it in 1898 but couldn't, of course, annex New Jersey cities. So Hoboken and JC remain independent municipalities which doesn't make them suburbs of New York or Newark or any other bigger city. Brookline is the classic northeastern suburb, linked with and dependent on Boston in every way except for retaining the privilege of (enlightened) self governance and separate schools. Sweet deal.

Old 04-14-2022, 02:24 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,470 times
They are both kings.......
Brookline is iconic. Probably the most iconic suburb in USA.
Hoboken is NYC............
How can Brookline compete with NYC?
It can't.
Brookline is fully urban along three Green Line corridors out to Boston College,
and iconic in its old wealthy neighborhoods.
Driving through Longwood and Brookline last week was a thing.
Longwood has blown up since the ~340' Blackfan medical tower went in....
and now the Fenway & Longwood are ostensibly connecting via
tall highrises and labs in the Fenway, inclu the >2m sq ft
Simmons College lab/dorm project,
and more filling of the Longwood Medical Area.
Then w/ of course, Brookline Village getting several new midrises has joined
to extend the Plateau of the Longwood medical area.
But compared to NJ/Union City/Hoboken across the Hudson, etc,
Half of Brookline is urban, and the rest, sleepy,"
on a Poughkeepsie-ish/Sleepy Hollow kind of level.

Old 04-14-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
I agree. I guess you could call any smaller municipality next to a big one a suburb but "suburb" implies a largely residential area away from and often politically independent of the city but connected with the city in every other way. Hoboken was a port city. It's dense with walkup tenements and some rowhouses. It had a typically lousy school system and corrupt mayor and council in the mold of the Hague machine. New York City gobbled up everything next to it in 1898 but couldn't, of course, annex New Jersey cities. So Hoboken and JC remain independent municipalities which doesn't make them suburbs of New York or Newark or any other bigger city. Brookline is the classic northeastern suburb, linked with and dependent on Boston in every way except for retaining the privilege of (enlightened) self governance and separate schools. Sweet deal.
Hoboken and JC aren't suburbs of NYC- they are NYC. Their independence is long gone due to the automobile and the decline of the port industry as a major source of employment in terms of its local population. Brookline is a classic streetcar suburb but it is also not a suburb in the common sense of the word. Highly urban in half of it with much commercial activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City