Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 10:41 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Interesting! Thanks for sharing! I thought DC would be much further behind Boston. DC is at 1,412,045 people in 137 sq. miles. With the growth inside I-495 in the DC area, the odds of Philadelphia and Boston remaining in front of DC long term is very low. Philadelphia and Boston just don’t build close to the amount of large apartment buildings that the DC area does.

I haven’t mentioned it before, but a major growth boom is about to take place to the north of DC around the new purple light rail line currently under construction that will cause the areas I mentioned to explode.

The Amazon HQ2 campus and surrounding growth is the major factor to the south. Everyone knows where DC proper is headed so no need to go into that.
As btownboss just showed- the peak population is 1,540,00 in 134 square miles. So dc is 128k behind at 137 square miles. Dc is it surpassing Boston or Philly anytime soon at 135 Sqmi. You’re not closing a 128,000 or 200,000 person gap in the next 15 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 10:50 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Interesting! Thanks for sharing! I thought DC would be much further behind Boston. DC is at 1,412,045 people in 137 sq. miles. With the growth inside I-495 in the DC area, the odds of Philadelphia and Boston remaining in front of DC long term is very low. Philadelphia and Boston just don’t build close to the amount of large apartment buildings that the DC area does.
You keep lumping Philly and Boston together, but at least for the last ten years I'm pretty sure that Boston has been growing at a solidly faster clip than Philly, though still behind DC.

One thing to look out for is that our mayor recently hired the city's first ever Chief of Planning, who left a role in the HUD to take the job: https://www.boston.gov/news/arthur-j...chief-planning

Arthur Jemison actually worked for a time under Anthony Williams in DC, and he's had a few other jobs in the District maybe besides his role(s) with the Feds. A neat tie-in considering the conversation.

One of Mayor Wu's big goals was to overhaul/reform Boston's zoning and planning, so we could see some big changes in the city's development in the next 10-20 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
As btownboss just showed- the peak population is 1,540,00 in 134 square miles. So dc is 128k behind at 137 square miles. Dc is it surpassing Boston or Philly anytime soon at 135 Sqmi.
Depends on whether you use the ACS or the census.

Old 04-30-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

Why? you and btownboss made different lists using different towns. His list made perfect sense and optimized density better.

Boston growing and places like Wverett and Revere are growing faster than Boston itself. Add to this Boston has another 20,000 people minimum coming in at Suffolk Doens we already know that much is in the bag.

Never mind South Boston Power Plant, Dorchester Bay City, Roxbury Parcel 3, and the 500 new apartments slated for The commuter rail in Hyde Park: the growth is going to continue to be steady. So there really no chance DC make up that massive gap. Boston grows faster than Philly but it’s possible that but could change.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Why? you and btownboss made different lists using different towns. His list made perfect sense and optimized density better.
His list included Melrose.

And the values were just off by a few thousand in at least a few cases. Malden, for examples was higher than the census reported.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
His list included Melrose.

And the values were just off by a few thousand in at least a few cases. Malden, for examples was higher than the census reported.
But melrose is still part of the 134 miles. What’s your point? He did what was the task- count the densest 134 square miles.

Also no, if anything he undercounted Malden compared to the census. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ma...ymassachusetts

Old 04-30-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
But melrose is still part of the 134 miles. What’s your point? He did what was the task- count the densest 134 square miles.

Also no, if anything he undercounted Malden compared to the census. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ma...ymassachusetts
Drat! You're right - I grabbed Malden's 2010 number rather than the 2020 one.

Melrose feels too suburban to me. And unless you include Saugus and Winchester too, I think it's just too far from downtown. To each there own, though. The end point is the same: that 1.5mil in 134sqmi is roughly the right size for an "urban extended Boston".

Old 04-30-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Drat! You're right - I grabbed Malden's 2010 number rather than the 2020 one.

Melrose feels too suburban to me. And unless you include Saugus and Winchester too, I think it's just too far from downtown. To each there own, though. The end point is the same: that 1.5mil in 134sqmi is roughly the right size for an "urban extended Boston".
That's part of the 'optimization' hes talking about. I used to ride the bus from Oak Grove to Stoneham Zoo for work (was making extra cash running the rides during the Holiday Season, already had my stripes at Franklin Park Zoo)- theres definitely fairly dense parts of Melrose i used to pass through. There's 100% parts of Boston that are just as suburban, if not more, than parts of Melrose. And tbh Melrose is closer to 30,000 than 29,000- hes actually rounding down in some cases.

Melrose:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4554...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4519...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4554...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4564...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4659...7i16384!8i8192

Old 04-30-2022, 01:24 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
You keep lumping Philly and Boston together, but at least for the last ten years I'm pretty sure that Boston has been growing at a solidly faster clip than Philly, though still behind DC.
Per the 2020 Census, Philadelphia grew faster than Boston numerically (by about 20K), but Boston grew faster than Philadelphia on a percentage basis (~9% versus ~5%).

Old 04-30-2022, 03:44 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:

One thing to look out for is that our mayor recently hired the city's first ever Chief of Planning, who left a role in the HUD to take the job: https://www.boston.gov/news/arthur-j...chief-planning

Arthur Jemison actually worked for a time under Anthony Williams in DC, and he's had a few other jobs in the District maybe besides his role(s) with the Feds. A neat tie-in considering the conversation.

One of Mayor Wu's big goals was to overhaul/reform Boston's zoning and planning, so we could see some big changes in the city's development in the next 10-20 years!

That is interesting. He has his work cut out for him based on what I have heard about Boston. I'm glad you're finally getting a planning department. It will do wonders for Boston long term.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:51 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,595 times
if you include
Cambridge
Somerville
Malden
Everett
Chelsea
Revere
(all higher than census and growing steadily)
Boston is >15K/sq mi out to >1M people.
w/ ~150 buildings >280' between them by 2024~25,
hundreds more buildings >150',
and tons more TOD infilling coming by then,
Boston + the above listed will be inching closer to 16K/sq mi in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City