Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and/or visit?
Texas 25 36.23%
Hawaii 44 63.77%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 04:38 PM

1,662 posts, read 962,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Is this a serious question?
Says the guy from the other “heaven on earth” location!

To live I would pick San Diego over Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 04:40 PM

11,648 posts, read 7,787,734 times
- Cities (Hawaii just has HNL so TX might win this one)

TX plainly has more of them, Honolulu is beautiful but its also very expensive and housing is extremely limited. Also the job market is very limited unless you're in tourism. Texas wins this one because even the weakest of its metro areas is far more functional for the every day person than Honolulu is.

- Transportation (TX might win this one as well as HI only has a few H freeways and no rail systems, yet anyways)

Overall TX, Hawaii in general is hemmed in between Mountains and Beaches with very little room for infrastructure. TX has virtually unlimited land to build infrastructure.

- Cost of Living (TX would be the obvious winner)

Yes, you're right.. ..this isn't even a contest. Even TX most expensive city (Austin) is far more affordable than Honolulu

- Safety (HI would be the obvious winner)

They're about equal. Both have rampant property crime and theft issues. Violent crime varies depending on where in TX you are, not as much an issue in Hawaii though.

- People/culture (the Aloha Spirit vs. the Holy Spirit)

Its probably a tie overall. Both native Hawaiian's and Texans do not like transplants, but they are both generally nice and neighborly people.

- Food

TX probably has more diversity

- Weather

Straight up Hawaii without a second thought.

- Scenery (HI would be the obvious winner)

You're right.

- Quality of life

TX if you're middle / upper middle class
HI if you're straight up rich.

Honolulu however does have a homeless problem.

- Anything you'd like to add

Google Maps says its possible to drive to Hawaii.

- Where would you rather live overall?

Its a tough choice, the main issue with HI is .. .. after you've seen the place, you're stuck there. No place else to go and its a long flight to just about anywhere else in the world. People say TX is isolated, well... Hawaii makes Texas look like a skip in the pond in this category. I do like Hawaii's weather and exotic feel, but.. ..I think of Hawaii as a place I'd like to visit, not live.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:51 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,309,907 times
- Cities (Hawaii just has HNL so TX might win this one)

Honolulu is a great city in a lot of ways, but it's also not without its challenges. Texas obviously has a wider range of cities to suit a wider range of preferences and lifestyles. In terms of small cities, Hilo beats out anything that Texas has to offer, in my opinion. Still, overall, Texas wins this one.

- Transportation (TX might win this one as well as HI only has a few H freeways and no rail systems, yet anyways)

Hawaii's airports aren't very well laid out and can be a pain to use. As for Texas, I can't stand Austin's airport. The others that I've been to aren't great, but aren't bad. Of course, being connected to the nation's highway and rail systems is an advantage that Texas, and every other American state not named Hawaii or Alaska, is going to have. This one goes to Texas.

- Cost of Living (TX would be the obvious winner)

Texas, for sure. Though, the disparity might not be as great if you compare the Neighbor Islands (i.e. not Oahu) to some place like Austin or Dallas.

- Safety (HI would be the obvious winner)

I don't know if it's that obvious. Both states have their issues with crime. I believe that property crime is more prevalent over a larger area in Hawaii than it is in Texas.

- People/culture (the Aloha Spirit vs. the Holy Spirit)

The Aloha Spirit is very pleasant, but I happen to like the Holy Spirit. It's been my experience that Hawaii residents and Texas residents both tend to be pretty friendly in general. I tend to prefer Asian culture to Hispanic culture (not at all intended to be a knock against Hispanics) so I'll say Hawaii.

- Food

I'm not a foodie. I like plain, basic, meat-and-potatoes kind of stuff. So I'll say Texas. (I realize that one can get haute cuisine in Texas. But it would be easier to find basic stuff there than it would be in Hawaii.)

- Weather

Hawaii, all day, every day, every month, all year.

- Scenery (HI would be the obvious winner)

The ugliest part of Hawaii (and really, Hawaii doesn't have any ugly parts) is still prettier than the prettiest part of Texas.

- Quality of life

Your money goes farther in Texas, so for the average person, I'd say Texas wins this one.

- Anything you'd like to add

"Island fever" is real. I think it would be tough to live on a small island and never be able to take road trips of any duration. But that's just me.

- Where would you rather live overall?

As a man with a family, I think Texas would be better. Once the kids are grown and gone, I'd probably pick Hawaii.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:57 PM

896 posts, read 523,363 times
Texas for me. Hawaii is nice to visit, but to live it is much too isolated.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:09 PM

4,822 posts, read 2,617,970 times
Texas, Texas, and nothing but Texas. And I do live in Texas. Hawaii is too isolated and too expensive for me. While Hawaii is a beautiful state, it is too small. Texas is also beautiful and is far more varied than Hawaii with deserts, mountains, piney woods, and palm studded beaches, as well as big and small cities everywhere.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:22 AM

50 posts, read 35,327 times
Texas will indeed be an environmental shock compared to Hawaii ... but there's still an overall low-latitude influence that allows for quite some uncanny similarities between the two areas.

With the relatively low latitude, combined with the presence of the Gulf of Mexico for land-sea interface, Texas too has the experience of "the trades" during the warmer half of the year.

Definitely quite some contrasts as well (i.e. albeit more gradual than in Hawaii). The near tropical latitude of the Lower RGV and SPI areas allows for some neotropical ecological, agricultural etc, influences otherwise found in Mexico/Central America. And, of course, the dry deserts of El Paso to the wetter subtropical ecology, agriculture, biodiversity, cultivation, etc seen in Houston/SE Texas/Piney Woods regions.

There are worse places elsewhere in this matter, but that's me.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:25 AM

817 posts, read 607,212 times
Cities Hawaii has Honolulu which blows every Texas city out of the water in terms of cityscape, diversity and culture, no contest

Transportation Both states are not known for their transportation and require a vehicle to get around, but Hawaii has the advantage of being more compact

Cost of Living Hawaii is expensive for a reason, because it's a great place to live. Texas is also not some cheap lower cost of living destination anymore it makes no sense for Texas to tout "affordability" as a major draw to the state when you can live in Sacramento for cheaper than any major Texas city and be closer to better amenities, beaches, etc. Cost of living is no longer a valid argument when every state is getting expensive.

Safety Hawaii is safer. Texas has too much crime associated with being close to the Mexico border

People/culture Hawaii people are much more friendlier and laidback, they share that Californian "west coast vibe", maybe with the exception of local Hawaiians who tend to be hostile to non locals. Texas still has way too many people who are openly judgmental of where people come from and who they are.

Food Hawaii, no contest. And I say this as a huge burger lover. Hawaii not only has great stereotypical american food such as burgers but also fantastic Asian food. Eating a juicy Japanese wagyu beef burger made by a Japanese cook in Hawaii will change everything, highly recommend it.

Weather Hawaii doesn't get cold/snow or look like an ugly wasteland during the fall, so Hawaii all the way

Scenery Hawaii, no explanation needed

Quality of life Hawaii, while some argue that being so isolated away from the mainland effects your quality of life ie "island fever" I'd personally be more depressed living on some ranch in the middle of rural Texas.

Anything you'd like to add Hawaii despite being better than Texas in most categories is becoming very overrated, it's already been "discovered" so to speak so the "magical wonder" of the place is long gone. I prefer Guam or Saipan for legit island living as these places are still in the USA and not popular destinations yet.

Where would you rather live overall? Hawaii

Old 05-06-2022, 02:20 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,018,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Cities Hawaii has Honolulu which blows every Texas city out of the water in terms of cityscape, diversity and culture, no contest

Transportation Both states are not known for their transportation and require a vehicle to get around, but Hawaii has the advantage of being more compact

Cost of Living Hawaii is expensive for a reason, because it's a great place to live. Texas is also not some cheap lower cost of living destination anymore it makes no sense for Texas to tout "affordability" as a major draw to the state when you can live in Sacramento for cheaper than any major Texas city and be closer to better amenities, beaches, etc. Cost of living is no longer a valid argument when every state is getting expensive.

Safety Hawaii is safer. Texas has too much crime associated with being close to the Mexico border

People/culture Hawaii people are much more friendlier and laidback, they share that Californian "west coast vibe", maybe with the exception of local Hawaiians who tend to be hostile to non locals. Texas still has way too many people who are openly judgmental of where people come from and who they are.

Food Hawaii, no contest. And I say this as a huge burger lover. Hawaii not only has great stereotypical american food such as burgers but also fantastic Asian food. Eating a juicy Japanese wagyu beef burger made by a Japanese cook in Hawaii will change everything, highly recommend it.

Weather Hawaii doesn't get cold/snow or look like an ugly wasteland during the fall, so Hawaii all the way

Scenery Hawaii, no explanation needed

Quality of life Hawaii, while some argue that being so isolated away from the mainland effects your quality of life ie "island fever" I'd personally be more depressed living on some ranch in the middle of rural Texas.

Anything you'd like to add Hawaii despite being better than Texas in most categories is becoming very overrated, it's already been "discovered" so to speak so the "magical wonder" of the place is long gone. I prefer Guam or Saipan for legit island living as these places are still in the USA and not popular destinations yet.

Where would you rather live overall? Hawaii
Laughable

Old 05-06-2022, 07:28 AM

817 posts, read 607,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Laughable
What is?

Old 05-06-2022, 09:04 AM

11,648 posts, read 7,787,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
What is?
Honolulu doesn’t blow Houston, DFW, and questionably even Austin away in Diversity.

Honolulu is VERY congested, it’s among America’s worst places to drive, DFW, SATX, Houston are easier to get around in than Honolulu despite being more spread out (and Honolulu would also be spread out if it weren’t for the mountains and ocean.)

You’re not living in Sacramento cheaper than DFW, Houston or San Antonio. Austin may have Sacramento beat but that’s about where that ends.

You have no idea about native Hawaiian’s if you truly believe they are more friendly than Texans. They do NOT like outsiders at all.

Honolulu cannot compete with Houston and DFW in food diversity.

You don’t ‘have’ to live in a ranch in rural Texas, the state has 4 major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City