Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the stronger city overall?
Memphis 22 24.72%
Raleigh 67 75.28%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 02:07 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times

Advertisements

https://amsterdamnews.com/news/2019/...re-raleigh-nc/

It’s a mixture of college and Southern culture more or less. Beer, barbecue, arts, green space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 02:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,736 times
Partly overgrown college town, but also a distillation of NC culture from all corners of the state.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:47 PM

155 posts, read 127,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
https://amsterdamnews.com/news/2019/...re-raleigh-nc/

It’s a mixture of college and Southern culture more or less. Beer, barbecue, arts, green space.
I'm pretty sure you're stating the entirety of the general US culturally. LOL

Old 05-16-2022, 01:01 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Southern college culture in cities is fairly rare. Most southern colleges are in small towns, or they have limited pull in the big cities (Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta). Austin is probably the most comparable.

As far as the rest, fair enough, I was overly broad. There is a general sameness to American life in the 21st century. But Southern food mixed with college-tinged art scene form the backbone of my point. There is definitely a relaxed air of unpretentiousness here, not far removed from being Barney Fife’s idea of a big city. That said, Brewgaloo being one of the top beer festivals in the country, and Raleigh’s percentage of land set aside for parks/greenways being close to double the national average are definitely a part of the story here as well.

Old 12-01-2022, 01:01 PM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Poor Memphis.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:13 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
How would you define Raleigh's culture?
Raleigh is ambitious, fly, intelligent, modern, creative. The collective persona of the city is that it challenges itself to be a better version of itself. This isn't the city that rests on its laurels. People here are workers, they are earners...

I've lived in alot of places, visited even more. There are only three of the ~15 cities or so that I've lived in, that I would say are great American cities for black people----->one of them is Raleigh. The other two are Virginia Beach and Charlotte, the order can be interchangeable depending on specific interests to specific black folk, but those three are levitating above every other city I've ever lived in, or in proximity to...

It goes unquestioned that Raleigh is one of the ten best large cities for us in the US. Not even debatable...

Old 12-02-2022, 09:59 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
How did I miss this one.

Lived in Memphis, worked in Raleigh while living in Durham.

Memphis was an over all horrible experience for me. From the people to the local culture.

I moved to North Carolina hoping that I would experience something different than what the area could offer. I did find a nice city with lots of intellectualism and options to make a good life. I made a lot of friends that made up for the lack of things to do.

I've learned not to claim one city is better than the other because we all come from different perspectives but have no love for Memphis or Tennessee.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:50 PM

577 posts, read 562,175 times
This comparison is a little unfair because Raleigh doesn't have anywhere near the urban blight that Memphis has. And obviously the Research Triangle is booming.

That said, there are some nice areas of Memphis. Downtown, Midtown, and Harbor Town have lots of character and great river views. Downtown is on the rise and evolving into a genuine urban neighborhood, increasingly connected to a very upgraded riverfront.

Also there is the Germantown/Collierville area which has about 100,000 people and is extremely clean and safe.

And DeSoto County, Mississippi is increasingly very nice, a very big area, and growing quickly.

With these options in mind, the main difference really involves economic growth. If a time comes when Memphis is booming once again, it has the ingredients to be a terrific place to live.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:42 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
This comparison is a little unfair because Raleigh doesn't have anywhere near the urban blight that Memphis has. And obviously the Research Triangle is booming.

That said, there are some nice areas of Memphis. Downtown, Midtown, and Harbor Town have lots of character and great river views. Downtown is on the rise and evolving into a genuine urban neighborhood, increasingly connected to a very upgraded riverfront.

Also there is the Germantown/Collierville area which has about 100,000 people and is extremely clean and safe.

And DeSoto County, Mississippi is increasingly very nice, a very big area, and growing quickly.

With these options in mind, the main difference really involves economic growth. If a time comes when Memphis is booming once again, it has the ingredients to be a terrific place to live.
When will that time come? It seems like Memphis has been stagnant for decades. I see the growth downtown, but it is going to take more than that to catch up to Raleigh.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:53 PM

1,203 posts, read 792,883 times
I've only visited both city...

But IMHO, you live and work in Raleigh, and visit Memphis. Sure, you can live in Germantown or Southaven but that's not really "Memphis"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City