Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you order Huntsville, Mobile, Augusta GA, Savannah in 2022 (most influential to least)
Huntsville, Mobile, Augusta, Savannah 1 1.61%
Huntsville, Mobile, Savannah, Augusta 3 4.84%
Huntsville, Augusta, Mobile, Savannah 0 0%
Huntsville, Augusta, Savannah, Mobile 0 0%
Huntsville, Savannah, Mobile, Augusta 11 17.74%
Huntsville, Savannah, Augusta, Mobile 8 12.90%
Mobile, Huntsville, Augusta, Savannah 0 0%
Mobile, Huntsville, Savannah, Augusta 1 1.61%
Mobile, Augusta, Huntsville, Savannah 0 0%
Mobile, Augusta, Savannah, Huntsville 0 0%
Mobile, Savannah, Huntsville, Augusta 0 0%
Mobile, Savannah, Augusta, Huntsville 0 0%
Augusta, Huntsville, Mobile, Savannah 0 0%
Augusta, Huntsville, Savannah, Mobile 2 3.23%
Augusta, Mobile, Huntsville, Savannah 0 0%
Augusta, Mobile, Savannah, Huntsville 1 1.61%
Augusta, Savannah, Huntsville, Mobile 0 0%
Augusta, Savannah, Mobile, Huntsville 0 0%
Savannah, Huntsville, Mobile, Augusta 14 22.58%
Savannah, Huntsville, Augusta, Mobile 6 9.68%
Savannah, Mobile, Huntsville, Augusta 8 12.90%
Savannah, Mobile, Augusta, Huntsville 3 4.84%
Savannah, Augusta, Huntsville, Mobile 1 1.61%
Savannah Augusta, Mobile, Huntsville 1 1.61%
I think it is a tie among the four 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 09:40 PM

2,831 posts, read 4,561,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Not to me, and I am not from Alabama, either. Huntsville is more New South than the other cities. Housing is decent, jobs are plentiful, and it is attracting more young people. There are many new areas and mixed uses that are thriving like Mid City, Stovehouse, Lowe Mill, North Huntsville, Town Madison, Hays Farm to mention a few (Yes, I am still mad Bridge Street did not get a Von Maur or at least a Macy's). Downtown is thriving and growing as well with new hotels and businesses. Given the criteria the op listed, there is no way Huntsville is last place among this group. Regionally, I see Huntsville's influence in Athens, Decatur, Fayetteville, and Madison. Huntsville's history and German influence have also been understated here.

https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/busines...of-huntsville/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/apollo...-nazi-germany/
I never said that Huntsville was last among this group. I stated that Huntsville just recently surged past the traditional big three in Alabama. I also recognized Huntsville economy and success. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that it lacks the history and influence that the other three cities have. Also, when did Huntsville influence Fayetteville? It barely influences Decatur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 12:45 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,011,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Forgot to add (edit timed-out): Savannah is the hub of Georgia's Lower Coastal Plain, a subregion that encompasses the lowest-lying areas of the Atlantic coastal plain in the state, containing barrier islands, marshes, and swampy lowlands, as well as flat plains and low terraces.

Savannah also has a pretty decent-sized commercial airport, especially given it is located in a state utterly dominated by the world's busiest airport, Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport ATL.

By 2019 enplanements per FAA records:
Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport 1,356,660
Huntsville International Airport 580,932
Augusta Regional Airport 300,598
Mobile Regional Airport 297,544
Don’t forget Augusta is 1 hour from Columbia, SC and the SC counties in the metro are 30 minutes to Columbia. Augusta is also two hours from Atlanta versus Savannah which is four hours away. More people in metro Augusta have only recently started using the airport in the last few years.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:25 AM

675 posts, read 422,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I never said that Huntsville was last among this group. I stated that Huntsville just recently surged past the traditional big three in Alabama. I also recognized Huntsville economy and success. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that it lacks the history and influence that the other three cities have. Also, when did Huntsville influence Fayetteville? It barely influences Decatur.
Huntsville was voted the #1 city to live in the entire country! There's no way it's not at least #2 on this list at this point if not arguably #1.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Colorado.html

The best place to live in America: Huntsville, Alabama takes the top spot for the first time, knocking Boulder, Colorado out of the number one slot, after two years

Old 05-21-2022, 08:19 PM

59 posts, read 63,041 times
More news since this thread started...

Savannah just landed a $5.5 billion Hyundai EV/battery plant bringing 8,100 jobs, plus potentially thousands more from suppliers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...c54_story.html

Savannah was also named 6th strongest commercial real estate market after the Florida metros, and ahead of Austin, Atlanta, Charleston, Nashville, etc.

https://www.nar.realtor/research-and...market-reports

Old 05-21-2022, 09:07 PM

831 posts, read 552,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptwnRsdnt View Post
More news since this thread started...

Savannah just landed a $5.5 billion Hyundai EV/battery plant bringing 8,100 jobs, plus potentially thousands more from suppliers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...c54_story.html

Savannah was also named 6th strongest commercial real estate market after the Florida metros, and ahead of Austin, Atlanta, Charleston, Nashville, etc.

https://www.nar.realtor/research-and...market-reports

Very Big win for Savannah!

I guess I'll give some news about what's happened in Mobile since this thread started

Airbus announced that it will be expanding it operations and adding a third assembly line and Novelis announced a $2.5 Billion Aluminum Plant, both happened last week and they will create a total of 2500 new manufacturing jobs

Port of Mobile also announced an expansion to its container terminal that will nearly double its size. To add on, Port of Mobile's Container Port reported a 40% year over year growth from April 2021-April 2022

Old 05-22-2022, 05:33 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,092,798 times
I voted Savannah, Huntsville, Mobile, Augusta.

Old 07-13-2022, 12:44 AM

4,983 posts, read 9,048,731 times
If anything Birmingham and Mobile both have the most cultural influence in the state. Huntsville just became the largest city, Birmingham has been the largest for years. It takes decades to over power that. And with Mobile being a Gulf Coast city it's cultural influence from it's region is shared through out the state.

If we're going by this :socioeconomic, political, cultural, logistic, historical from what the OP set as a guideline then Mobile and Savannah would honestly be tied what sets them apart is port sizes and tourism.Then Augusta and lastly Huntsville.

Most are voting by City-data accolades and other factors I assume.

Last edited by PortCity; 07-13-2022 at 01:17 AM..

Old 07-17-2022, 01:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 9,201,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Those places are becoming bedroom communities to Huntsville. They would not be growing without Huntsville's influence. Huntsville does not lack history, you just have to read more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City