Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 12:12 PM

21 posts, read 14,355 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have read many a forum, and tried my best to do my own research...but I am ending up overwhelmed, and am hoping for some feedback that I may not yet have come across. For background, I am in my mid-30's, female.

I am originally from the Pacific NW and left due to the endless grey skies, water you can't swim in without catching frostbite, and the steadily creeping cost of living (although, seems to be the case anywhere you live nowadays). I now live in Nashville, TN, which has a lot of what we were looking for, but we have been here 6 years now and I'm realizing that I'm really not going to get used to these summers any time soon, and the cost of living is quickly rising each year.

What I am looking for (is this just wishful thinking, and I need to give up one of the criteria to find something that fits most...or does this place actually exist?):

Four distinct seasons, with the most important season being Autumn. I LOVE fall foliage (dreaming of New England fall...without the accompanying severe winter). I love a bit of snow, and can tolerate moderate cold, but would prefer somewhere where the winters are not usually in the teens or below (at times is fine), and are not endless and drastic.

Summer should be warm enough (70-85 ideal, a few 90 degree days is fine if not routine), but not the extreme heat and humidity that Nashville suffers from (we have been in the 90's since May, with multiple ozone warnings, and heat indexes in the 100's; it's literally sickening).

COASTAL: I want to be within half an hour of a sandy beach (with water that is warm enough to actually swim in). Having said that, said beach should not frequently be hit by hurricanes (I know any coastal area is susceptible, but a beach city that is less frequently impacted, or less severely, would be fine). For example, Florida would not be on my list lol. We deal a lot with tornadoes in Nashville, and also want to move away from this threat; they seem to be occurring more frequently.

Cost of Living: this is a huge factor, which I know is limiting. Basically anywhere that salaries are fair to the relative cost of living, and people are not taxed to death. A household income of less than $100k and not be struggling would be ideal; I do not want to live paycheck to paycheck.

Amenities: I love nature (hiking, being in the woods/on the water), great food (diversity of food as well), common shopping options (such as Target, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc.), farmer's markets, the arts, museums, bowling, tennis, movie theatres; public transport not necessary, but desirable, within an hour of an airport, highly-rated healthcare facilities.

People: friendly enough to newcomers, activities/events to meet new people (Meet Up groups?), etc. A sense of community.

Thank you so much for any suggestions/feedback. I feel like I may break Google if I pursue this any longer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 12:39 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Check out Rhode Island or southern Massachusetts (Fall River/New Bedford area).

Old 07-01-2022, 12:52 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,082,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogjr View Post
Hello! I have read many a forum, and tried my best to do my own research...but I am ending up overwhelmed, and am hoping for some feedback that I may not yet have come across. For background, I am in my mid-30's, female.

I am originally from the Pacific NW and left due to the endless grey skies, water you can't swim in without catching frostbite, and the steadily creeping cost of living (although, seems to be the case anywhere you live nowadays). I now live in Nashville, TN, which has a lot of what we were looking for, but we have been here 6 years now and I'm realizing that I'm really not going to get used to these summers any time soon, and the cost of living is quickly rising each year.

What I am looking for (is this just wishful thinking, and I need to give up one of the criteria to find something that fits most...or does this place actually exist?):

Four distinct seasons, with the most important season being Autumn. I LOVE fall foliage (dreaming of New England fall...without the accompanying severe winter). I love a bit of snow, and can tolerate moderate cold, but would prefer somewhere where the winters are not usually in the teens or below (at times is fine), and are not endless and drastic.

Summer should be warm enough (70-85 ideal, a few 90 degree days is fine if not routine), but not the extreme heat and humidity that Nashville suffers from (we have been in the 90's since May, with multiple ozone warnings, and heat indexes in the 100's; it's literally sickening).

COASTAL: I want to be within half an hour of a sandy beach (with water that is warm enough to actually swim in). Having said that, said beach should not frequently be hit by hurricanes (I know any coastal area is susceptible, but a beach city that is less frequently impacted, or less severely, would be fine). For example, Florida would not be on my list lol. We deal a lot with tornadoes in Nashville, and also want to move away from this threat; they seem to be occurring more frequently.

Cost of Living: this is a huge factor, which I know is limiting. Basically anywhere that salaries are fair to the relative cost of living, and people are not taxed to death. A household income of less than $100k and not be struggling would be ideal; I do not want to live paycheck to paycheck.

Amenities: I love nature (hiking, being in the woods/on the water), great food (diversity of food as well), common shopping options (such as Target, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc.), farmer's markets, the arts, museums, bowling, tennis, movie theatres; public transport not necessary, but desirable, within an hour of an airport, highly-rated healthcare facilities.

People: friendly enough to newcomers, activities/events to meet new people (Meet Up groups?), etc. A sense of community.

Thank you so much for any suggestions/feedback. I feel like I may break Google if I pursue this any longer!
No, all of the above are not doable in a single location.

New England and the Great Lakes cities are the only places you will be able to have cooler summers close to beaches, but winters are what they are. Great Lakes cities are way more affordable than East Coast or other US hot spots like Nashville. Southern New England may get slightly milder winters.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:07 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,706,332 times
I think a fantasy. Perhaps southern blue ridge could come close, obviously not within a half hour of the ocean.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:31 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,009,673 times
Sounds like you're describing the Reno, NV area. Lake Tahoe is more like 45 minutes away, but it hits all your other criteria. Carson City could be a good spot for a lower COL in exchange for less great amenities at your doorstep (but it does have a small downtown). The fall in northern Nevada is more beautiful than you'd think, there are a lot of deciduous trees in the towns and the air is nice, cool, and crisp.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:34 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
No, all of the above are not doable in a single location.

New England and the Great Lakes cities are the only places you will be able to have cooler summers close to beaches, but winters are what they are. Great Lakes cities are way more affordable than East Coast or other US hot spots like Nashville. Southern New England may get slightly milder winters.
Something like Long Island or the Cape are kind of like that the Maritime climate helps moderate summers and winters

Old 07-01-2022, 08:25 PM

6,815 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Southern Maine (say Biddeford, Kennebunkport, York, etc) or Southeastern New Hampshire (Dover-Rochester-Somersworth area) would be my reccs.

Southeastern Connecticut (New London County) could also work! It’s probably a better bet for meeting people than the other two with the navy base making it more transient.

Edit: just saw the “without accompanying severe weather” comment. What severe weather does New England have?

Old 07-02-2022, 08:08 AM

21 posts, read 14,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Southern Maine (say Biddeford, Kennebunkport, York, etc) or Southeastern New Hampshire (Dover-Rochester-Somersworth area) would be my reccs.

Southeastern Connecticut (New London County) could also work! It’s probably a better bet for meeting people than the other two with the navy base making it more transient.

Edit: just saw the “without accompanying severe weather” comment. What severe weather does New England have?
Thank you for your suggestions! I suppose "severe weather" is relative, but what I was referring to are winters that are extremely cold (below 30/20's) with snow and ice for months on end.

Does anyone have any feedback on Virginia Beach? That came to mind, but not sure if the fall foliage is much, or if the summers vary much from Nashville (thinking while still hot and humid, since on the water it's not as uncomfortable). Thanks again!

Old 07-02-2022, 08:25 AM

6,815 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions! I suppose "severe weather" is relative, but what I was referring to are winters that are extremely cold (below 30/20's) with snow and ice for months on end.

Does anyone have any feedback on Virginia Beach? That came to mind, but not sure if the fall foliage is much, or if the summers vary much from Nashville (thinking while still hot and humid, since on the water it's not as uncomfortable). Thanks again!
Gotcha gotcha. From your first post, I thought that just weather in the teens was off the table. That doesn’t happen too much in southern New England in the winter, especially by the coast. But temps in the 20s are pretty common.

I might rescind my reccs for ME and NH on account of the water being too cold. It’s swimmable for most of the summer, but it’s cold. The water in Cape Cod, RI, and CT is warmer.

I might add South County RI as a recc. Maybe MA’s South Coast too. But in all those places, you’d have 20 degree weather in Jan/Feb.

Maybe somewhere in central or southern NJ could work? Or Delaware?

Old 07-02-2022, 08:31 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,216,666 times
Quote:
Nashville actually tends to be less humid on average than coastal parts of the South, including Virginia Beach. I think you would need to look considerably further north for milder summer conditions near the coast, like in the New England locations that have been suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City