Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 04:08 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
but Miami does have some very good /excellent East Asian restaurants....maybe not the same quantity of other cities but the East Asian quality we do have here is very good--and I grew up in NYC Metro and lived throughout CA most of my adult life with plenty of exposure to said cuisines.
It really doesn’t though. I’ve lived in Miami. Some of the best Italian food I have tried outside of Europe was in Miami. Great food overall but the East Asian is so far behind just about every other US city of its size. Dallas on the other hand isn’t. Atleast not the degree of Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 04:14 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I listed at least 15-18 plus excellent East Asian restaurants—have you eaten recently at any of the ones I mentioned? I worked for Texas Instruments for 33 years and visited Dallas 3x/year; Dallas is not on my radar for Asian cuisine, coming from NYC, SF/LA/OC (or even Miami). Trust me, I’d have no issue bashing the Miami Asian cuisine if it sucked, which it doesn’t. (Mexican sucks here). Again, there is quality if not quantity of other cities. I agree with you about Italian, which I favor over Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It really doesn’t though. I’ve lived in Miami. Some of the best Italian food I have tried outside of Europe was in Miami. Great food overall but the East Asian is so far behind just about every other US city of its size. Dallas on the other hand isn’t. Atleast not the degree of Miami.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-07-2022 at 04:47 PM..

Old 05-07-2022, 04:52 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
I'm just making my way through the 2foodtrippers article, but I love it already, for unlike most of the other lists, it's definitely personal, definitely based on their experiences, and definitely full of the love and passion they have for the subject. That to me puts it a notch above the more clinical ratings that attempt to quantify things not easily quantified. (In that respect, even though As Above So Below has some evident prejudices — which, they point out, they then ignore when it comes to ranking their personal favorites — they get the essence of what makes 2foodtrippers so great.

I can't wait until I get to their takes on Memphis and Kansas City, which I note occupy adjacent spots on their top 20. Especially since they say they base their rankings on more than just a reputation for a particular type of cuisine. After all, both cities are best known as barbecue capitals (and Memphis and Kansas City Q are kissing cousins), so I think it would be interesting to find out what else about both cities' food scenes they consider outstanding.

(I will say that I had a fantastic lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant in the City Market on my last trip back in 2016. I couldn't have said that about the Kansas City of my youth, for there would have been none of these establishments at all.)

They also have what I would call a democratic sensibility when it comes to food and dining. It seems to me that too often, discussions of this type get hung up on the upper end of the scale.

BTW, in that respect, Buffalo definitely deserves a place of honor among American food cities for spicing up parties and sporting events all across the country ever since the Anchor Bar first married hot sauce, butter and chicken wings. I have yet to experience beef on weck, though. (That's also from there, isn't it?)

Old 05-07-2022, 05:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Always love Travel US News snubbing Philadelphia in their "rankings".

But most (not all) of the cities listed (big, medium, small) are good contenders.

For big cities ~1M+ people, any combo of NYC, SF, Philly, Houston, LA, Chicago. All extremely diverse and excellent food cities.

New Orleans is a clear standout for a mid-size city, and can compete with the largest cities.
I agree with this.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:04 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm just making my way through the 2foodtrippers article, but I love it already, for unlike most of the other lists, it's definitely personal, definitely based on their experiences, and definitely full of the love and passion they have for the subject. That to me puts it a notch above the more clinical ratings that attempt to quantify things not easily quantified. (In that respect, even though As Above So Below has some evident prejudices — which, they point out, they then ignore when it comes to ranking their personal favorites — they get the essence of what makes 2foodtrippers so great.

I can't wait until I get to their takes on Memphis and Kansas City, which I note occupy adjacent spots on their top 20. Especially since they say they base their rankings on more than just a reputation for a particular type of cuisine. After all, both cities are best known as barbecue capitals (and Memphis and Kansas City Q are kissing cousins), so I think it would be interesting to find out what else about both cities' food scenes they consider outstanding.

(I will say that I had a fantastic lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant in the City Market on my last trip back in 2016. I couldn't have said that about the Kansas City of my youth, for there would have been none of these establishments at all.)

They also have what I would call a democratic sensibility when it comes to food and dining. It seems to me that too often, discussions of this type get hung up on the upper end of the scale.

BTW, in that respect, Buffalo definitely deserves a place of honor among American food cities for spicing up parties and sporting events all across the country ever since the Anchor Bar first married hot sauce, butter and chicken wings. I have yet to experience beef on weck, though. (That's also from there, isn't it?)
Interesting Buffalo made the list. I usually expect "fancy trendy" food cities when these list come out.

That said, before we moved back to Buffalo we jokingly called our visits "eating tours" and would gain 10 pounds before we left. After moving, we have had to moderate our restaurant visits. Tasty and hearty foods rule here, generally in all types and all cultures, and chefs that can meet that criteria are successful here. Following the latest trends is typically not a thing, if that's what one is looking for. However, recent years have had many small chef-owned establishments open up, typically by former expat locals who learned their craft in NYC or other large cities in the US or abroad, but returned due to the affordability to open and successfully operate here.

What also makes it an eater's paradise is that nearly every local neighborhood tavern runs its own kitchen with menus way beyond "bar food", there are also dozens of locally made candy and ice cream shops scattered through the city, and of course hundreds of mom and pop pizza, specialty, and ethnic takeout places that pack their menus with a wide variety of regional, local, and ethnic selections. Very very few chain restaurants in the city, local foods predominate. And of course the breads and baked goods here are excellent, though to be fair that is true in much of the Northeast (its down south that I really missed the good stuff).

Now I'm hungry. I think I 'll take a walk and get a beef on weck with horseradish and a loganberry, maybe some curly fries and a custard for dessert. I'm just going to stick with the basics tonight.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:02 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
I've traveled and eaten in different cities more than most, but it's hard even for me to stay current as such things have been changing. Up until the last couple of decades there was a huge gap in the food scenes between mega cities and larger cities and another huge gap between larger and medium sized cities. I really feel like those gaps have narrowed considerably as a more homogenized food scene has elevated the smaller cities and similarly negatively impacted the mega cities.

25 years ago I would have said that NYC was far ahead of whatever was number 2, but I don't feel that way anymore. I still think that NYC is at the top, but the food scene in NYC is def worse and the food scene in many places, Houston comes to mind, is way better than before.

I'd have to think on my ranking but my general point is that it's not as significant nor as important as it used to be. There's good food almost everywhere now.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:15 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Like "tech hub", "foodie city" is a faceless, generic designation that literally any city can claim a status that is impossible to prove or disprove.
It's actually one of the more ridiculous designations given that people visit a place a few times and eat and all of the sudden they are "experts" on the food scene there.

And even residents in large cities generally never visit more than a handful of the options in their own city.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:53 PM

340 posts, read 175,336 times
Another thing that's kinda pointless to compare is the fact that food is a preference or cultural thing, each region, city, area and what not have their own idea and flavor on whats good food.. most cities have establishments that cater to local, foreign and regional style receipes.. it's all a matter of preference like which city has more people you're attracted to

Old 05-07-2022, 07:54 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's actually one of the more ridiculous designations given that people visit a place a few times and eat and all of the sudden they are "experts" on the food scene there.

And even residents in large cities generally never visit more than a handful of the options in their own city.
When I hear "we're a top foodie city", for me its like "did you know about our sidewalks and sewage system? We're really weird and quirky that way. Come check us out!"

In fact.....here is a fun game anyone can play:

Columbus:

"Why Columbus is the next big food city to watch"
https://matadornetwork.com/read/colu...big-food-city/

Boise:
"Food & Wine names Boise ‘Next Great Food City’

https://www.idahostatesman.com/enter...260457662.html

Omaha:
"Why Omaha, Nebraska Might Be the Best Place to Eat in America Right Now"

https://livability.com/ne/omaha/food...ica-right-now/

Jacksonville:
"Eat Well: Jax is a Foodie’s Paradise"
https://www.visitjacksonville.com/bl...dies-paradise/

...and so forth.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:23 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
So much would depend on one's preferences (I was going to write "one's tastes" ).

E.g., if fish & seafood are your favorite things, Seattle could be #1.

Or, what's weighted higher:
the tally of famous, expensive downtown establishments that expense-account people frequent,
or the ability to find high-quality-but-affordable ethnic eateries anywhere in town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City