Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 10:51 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No, I'm going for work twice in the next few months though- for a few days each. So I'll be able to better judge Houston then. It has good reviews in general. But I cant place it.
Fair enough. Let us know what you think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 11:31 AM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 438,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I will tip my hat to St. Louis' food scene, which also includes a unique local bit of "ordinary" fare — St. Louis-style pizza, which features a processed cheese called Provel — a blend of Cheddar, Swiss and Provolone that was created there and is pretty much unique to it, though the Wikipedia article I linked states that it can be found in Hy-Vee supermarkets throughout the Midwest.

I would say that, even with the recent improvement in what Kansas City offers beyond barbecue, St. Louis' food scene remains broader and deeper than Kansas City's. (The city is also home to the oldest farmers' market west of the Mississippi, the Soulard Farmers Market in that section of St. Louis' south side. I believe it's also the second-oldest public farmers' market in the country, surpassed only by the Central Market in Lancaster, Pa.)

But I do chafe at those who speak of "St. Louis-style ribs" as though there was a style of barbecue unique to that city. "St. Louis-style" refers to the way the ribs are cut and trimmed before smoking. Generally speaking, St. Louis-style ribs are more uniform in shape than untrimmed ribs are. This makes them especially well suited for Q places that don't actually slow-smoke their ribs but grill them or (worse still) parboil them before finishing them on a grill, for St. Louis-style ribs will be more evenly cooked than untrimmed ones will.

But, of course, grilling isn't barbecuing. And parboiling ribs to save time is anathema to purists like me.

Incoming rant + disagreement.

1.)
Generally speaking, STL gets an unfair rap nationally. It's a better city than most people give it credit for being. KC on the other hand simply doesn't get any meaningful attention (beyond NFL conversations).

2.)
With that out of the way. KC's depth in BBQ is one of kind. Arguably the single best location on earth to enjoy American-style BBQ.

3.)
As of me writing this, STL doesn't have that kind of depth in any food category. And while the breadth of food options in STL is better than KC, it's not as large of a gap as KC's lead over STL on depth.
And yes, I'm intimately familiar with STL style pizza, BBQ, pork steaks, and t-rav. Those are nice local things, but only t-ravs are any good. STL style pizza should not be described as pizza. It's really more like loaded nachos.

Last edited by MrIndependent; 05-09-2022 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Edited for missing part of my explanation.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:57 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Austin and DFW deserve higher rankings. I would say Houston in the south is best overall for VARIETY not necessarily for THE best food which I lean towards New Orleans but Houston's resident diversity gives its the extra kick.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:28 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Barely.

I don't see it that way. We are in a bubble on this website, most people don't think of more than a handful of cities when it comes to food. Denver isn't known for food, neither are 95% of American cities. There's still good food here, just like 95% of American cities. It may not make the Michelin list or whatever but that's not a realistic list.
What a.....surprise to find this:

"It’s Official: Denver, Colorado Is Being Called One Of The Best Foodie Cities In America"

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/colo...ty-america-co/

Old 05-10-2022, 12:11 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
What a.....surprise to find this:

"It’s Official: Denver, Colorado Is Being Called One Of The Best Foodie Cities In America"

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/colo...ty-america-co/
I'm sure every city has at least one article spouting this.

Old 05-10-2022, 04:58 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
Incoming rant + disagreement.

1.)
Generally speaking, STL gets an unfair rap nationally. It's a better city than most people give it credit for being. KC on the other hand simply doesn't get any meaningful attention (beyond NFL conversations).

2.)
With that out of the way. KC's depth in BBQ is one of kind. Arguably the single best location on earth to enjoy American-style BBQ.

3.)
As of me writing this, STL doesn't have that kind of depth in any food category. And while the breadth of food options in STL is better than KC, it's not as large of a gap as KC's lead over STL on depth.
And yes, I'm intimately familiar with STL style pizza, BBQ, pork steaks, and t-rav. Those are nice local things, but only t-ravs are any good. STL style pizza should not be described as pizza. It's really more like loaded nachos.
Your point 2 actually contradicts your point 1 regarding Kansas City. It does get meaningful attention when it comes to barbecue — which, you may recall, was the sole reason 2foodtrippers put it in their list of top 20 food cities. And I'd say that many Q aficionados agree with your last sentence in point 2, though Texans will argue it to death.

Jazz buffs also know Kansas City and its significance in the development of the musical form, but there aren't enough jazz buffs in the country anymore to make a real difference.

There's such a thing as "St. Louis-style BBQ"? I know StL has plenty of Q joints, but what gets served there doesn't differ enough from KC or Memphis IMO to make it distinctive. (And as I've mentioned before, KC and Memphis Q are related.)

Old 04-30-2023, 06:55 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Just got back from New Orleans yesterday.

Surprised by how big it felt and how walkable and hood the transit is. An awesome city.

My gf and I both agree though TOO SALTY. Oh my god, how is this the #1 food city?!?

We eat in Garden District, Treme, Warehouse District and Bourbon Street. All of it- good ingredient but way way too salty. Not even spicy- just salty.

Bro I had better meals in Baltimore and Philly- by a king shot. And better meals in BOSTON.

So. Damn. Salty. Wtf.

Best meal was Bennachin a little outside the French Quarter. But nothing to write home about:

Old 04-30-2023, 08:10 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Just got back from New Orleans yesterday.

Surprised by how big it felt and how walkable and hood the transit is. An awesome city.

My gf and I both agree though TOO SALTY. Oh my god, how is this the #1 food city?!?

We eat in Garden District, Treme, Warehouse District and Bourbon Street. All of it- good ingredient but way way too salty. Not even spicy- just salty.

Bro I had better meals in Baltimore and Philly- by a king shot. And better meals in BOSTON.

So. Damn. Salty. Wtf.

Best meal was Bennachin a little outside the French Quarter. But nothing to write home about:
Yep. Way too salty

Old 04-30-2023, 08:35 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Fair enough. Let us know what you think!
Had an *awesome* steak at some restaurant in Houston I forgot to post here when I got back, my fault.. Also was taken to some Italian place, think it’s was the “original” Carrabas and it was surprisingly good, not like CT Italian but pretty good for sure. I should’ve made it a point to try some viet-Cajun.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:11 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Carrabbas is good stuff.

I’d think Charleston is a great food city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City