Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 12:37 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times

Advertisements

Current situation aside...

TX: Houston, Dallas, or (maybe) Austin. Austin interests me a lot less as a city than the other two, but would be better for meeting tech people.

OH: Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus are solid major cities with a very low COL

MO: St. Louis or KC

Would love to spend some time in Appalachia in general, ideally away from the trendy places (Asheville, Chattanooga)

Most other major cities in red states I could do okay in, e.g. Tulsa, OKC, Omaha, the Research Triangle. Not doing Indiana though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 01:20 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Politics doesn't really influence where I live, as this can shift between different election cycles. But in general blue cities or counties in purple or red states appeal to me more than other combinations, since such places tend to have stronger business environments and lower taxes without a regressive atmosphere. There are millions of socially liberal Americans who live in states where their governments are enacting far right policies, and few of us would be inclined to leave when our local communities are tolerant places with quality amenities and opportunities.

Some red areas in red states are fine with me as well, like Greenville, SC; Huntsville, AL or Boise, ID. Areas such as these that were Republican before the #MAGA movement don't have the same sort of dynamic as Rust Belt type places that switched their leanings more recently.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:35 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Politics doesn't really influence where I live, as this can shift between different election cycles. But in general blue cities or counties in purple or red states appeal to me more than other combinations, since such places tend to have stronger business environments and lower taxes without a regressive atmosphere. There are millions of socially liberal Americans who live in states where their governments are enacting far right policies, and few of us would be inclined to leave when our local communities are tolerant places with quality amenities and opportunities.

Some red areas in red states are fine with me as well, like Greenville, SC; Huntsville, AL or Boise, ID. Areas such as these that were Republican before the #MAGA movement don't have the same sort of dynamic as Rust Belt type places that switched their leanings more recently.
Boise is actually a blue city ran by a democratic city council, and has been blue for years. Ada County, where Boise is located is turning Purple as of the last presidential election.
Trump lost to Clinton in Boise city limits precincts and Biden easily won Boise.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:12 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise is actually a blue city ran by a democratic city council, and has been blue for years. Ada County, where Boise is located is turning Purple as of the last presidential election.
Trump lost to Clinton in Boise city limits precincts and Biden easily won Boise.
Thanks for the clarification! Greenville (SC) is probably similar given its small city limits.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:21 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times
Can't think of anywhere I would not move to just for the politics

Old 05-10-2022, 03:19 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
I am liberal and vote Democrat. I live in a very red state (Tennessee). I could live in most places despite its political leaning, but prefer city things. Most of my friends lean conservative, and I could not do any extremist type cities like Oklahoma City or San Francisco.

Blue states:
Massachusetts (Boston) today o' clock
Illinois(Chicago only) yesterday
California (San Diego or LA County only)
Georgia: (Atlanta only)
Colorado: (Denver only)

Red states:
Montana (Billings)
Ohio (Cincinnati or Columbus only)
Alabama (Huntsville only)
South Carolina (Greenville or Charleston only)
Florida (Sarasota, Ft. Lauderdale, Pensacola)

Old 05-10-2022, 03:29 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
None.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:40 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Boise doesn't strike me as particularly red at this point. The mayor is a Democrat, who I remember bringing some leftish police commissioner, or something of that sort, from Portland, and who was something of a dead-ender with regard to masking.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:44 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
I'm pretty happy where I'm at, but I could be persuaded to move to Cheyenne, WY, Hot Springs, SD, or Chadron, NE even though they're in pretty bright red states.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:47 PM

104 posts, read 46,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah SLC would be a no, despite how beautiful it is.
If you ever get the chance, go to Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana, it's the greatest pizza I've ever had, and it's not close either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City