Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 04:12 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Politics doesn't really influence where I live, as this can shift between different election cycles. But in general blue cities or counties in purple or red states appeal to me more than other combinations, since such places tend to have stronger business environments and lower taxes without a regressive atmosphere. There are millions of socially liberal Americans who live in states where their governments are enacting far right policies, and few of us would be inclined to leave when our local communities are tolerant places with quality amenities and opportunities.

Some red areas in red states are fine with me as well, like Greenville, SC; Huntsville, AL or Boise, ID. Areas such as these that were Republican before the #MAGA movement don't have the same sort of dynamic as Rust Belt type places that switched their leanings more recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise is actually a blue city ran by a democratic city council, and has been blue for years. Ada County, where Boise is located is turning Purple as of the last presidential election.
Trump lost to Clinton in Boise city limits precincts and Biden easily won Boise.
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification! Greenville (SC) is probably similar given its small city limits.
You're welcome.

I've live in Boise for a while now and it was blue when I moved here and has gotten more blue as the years go on. I have lived in larger cities in blue states and Boise's political culture is very reminiscent of those other cities and stands out even more imo because of the political make up of most of the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 04:21 PM

809 posts, read 469,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPRCubaSpain View Post
I'm a conservative Hispanic (Dominican), I like Rhode Island despite it being a deep blue state. It's a beautiful New England state, the Providence area, Newport, RI beaches, Cape Cod and Boston nearby. Very safe and has a high value on education. It also has a significant Hispanic population with Dominicans being the majority. I think eastcoast liberals are far less extreme and more tolerable compared to Westcoast liberals, so it's easier to look past the "liberalness".
+1 - For example, CT Dems are generally more moderate than those in California. I think weather and strong emphasis on local government have a lot to do with it - the snow has to be cleared and trash picked up regardless of which party is in power.

As for the topic, I really like Arizona and Florida despite having center-left views (open/free markets, strong social safety net, socially liberal, strong on public safety). Would pick Tempe/Tucson and Ft. Lauderdale as places to live.

Old 05-10-2022, 04:51 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I live in Missouri. I've lived in Illinois, Tennessee (Nevada for 6 months) and North Carolina.

I don't claim a party. I am pretty diverse as a person and need a community that represents my diversity in thought.

The only reason I can tolerate Missouri is because of St. Louis offering the amenities and lifestyle I like. I never think about the politics of my state until they do something stupid in Jefferson City. Tennessee has way too many regressive policies that makes it a little worse than Missouri. Just a little. Memphis operates like its in a conservative state. They vote Democratic but its conservative in mentality. It isn't right or wrong. Its not what I like.

Chicago was blatantly corrupt and racists. The positive was that Chicago took care of their city and citizens. The liberalism was annoying at times. I guess each party have their positives and negatives. I believe people are more liberated in cities that are liberal.

Liberal States I would consider
Massachusetts
Washington
Maryland (DMV area)
Nevada

Conservative
Texas
Florida
Utah

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 05-10-2022 at 05:32 PM..

Old 05-10-2022, 05:32 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Most of my friends lean conservative, and I could not do any extremist type cities like Oklahoma City or San Francisco.
Oklahoma City doesn't strike me as "extremist". Surrounding Oklahoma County voted 49% R/48% D in the 2020 presidential race. OKC has had relatively moderate Republican mayors who have prioritized investing in local infrastructure, and the urban fabric is much better developed than in the past.

Rural areas of Oklahoma are a different story, and more of a polar opposite from San Francisco type places. There is virtually no sizable population center that doesn't have a significant liberal to moderate constituency these days, even in solidly red states.

Old 05-10-2022, 05:33 PM

146 posts, read 152,315 times
It's not as simple as red and blue, old chum.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:00 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Florida. I think Miami might be my next stop. Texas as well.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:41 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I'm an indie who slightly leans right. On economics I kinda lean left as I'm not a fan of right-to-work. I'm also for walkable areas. But socially and culturally I've gotten further to the right.

Blue states:
Washington(Seattle)
Illinois(Chicago only)
NY(NYC or New Rochelle/White Plains only, but the price has to be worth it)
CA(LA County or Sacramento only)

Red states:
North Dakota(Grand Forks or Bismark)
Wyoming(Jackson)
Florida(Miami only, Brickell or close to downtown)
Ohio(Cleveland or Bowling Green only)
Found this to be an odd answer. Can you elaborate? (Maybe family in Bowling Green?)

Old 05-11-2022, 12:54 PM

16 posts, read 11,326 times
Quote:
Oklahoma City doesn't strike me as "extremist". Surrounding Oklahoma County voted 49% R/48% D in the 2020 presidential race. OKC has had relatively moderate Republican mayors who have prioritized investing in local infrastructure, and the urban fabric is much better developed than in the past.

Rural areas of Oklahoma are a different story, and more of a polar opposite from San Francisco type places. There is virtually no sizable population center that doesn't have a significant liberal to moderate constituency these days, even in solidly red states.
The state legislature could certainly be considered extremist to some... and with OKC being the capital, it rubs off on the city's reputation. Edmond, a affluent suburb of OKC recently had a Democratic congresswoman. Tulsa feels more liberal, but is more Republican based on 2020 election results. I think the city is edging closer to what might be considered purplish territory. You're spot on though... the rural parts of state are unbelievably red.

One interesting twist is that the native tribes and the R governor have been butting heads big time the last couple years. Tribes are a big player in eastern OK, could see a small shift away from R potentially.

Old 05-11-2022, 05:56 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Keep in mind that, with a handful of exceptions (such as Oklahoma's two biggest cities, or Indianapolis), if you move to a city in a red state, you will be living in a blue island in it.

That even goes for Salt Lake City, IIRC. (One of my proteges did a reporting stint at the Salt Lake Tribune and told me he was surprised at how vibrant SLC's LGBT community was.)

And you can find red territory in blue states, too. Since chances are that if you're conservative, you are more likely to reside in a suburb or a rural area than in a large city, it would be only natural for you to locate in say, an exurb of Philadelphia, or in the Pennsylvania "T," or in Upstate New York outside its cities.

About the only state in my part of the country where I think I'd be hard pressed to find any conservative territory is Massachusetts.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:16 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Found this to be an odd answer. Can you elaborate? (Maybe family in Bowling Green?)
All of my relatives are on the east coast. Philly, ATL or Jacksonville.

Cleveland has the best transit system in the state(though with its frequencies it's not really saying much). One of the few cities in this country with an actual subway. Bowling Green is a college town but has an economy. Walkable in the core. Doesn't have the big city problems.

Last edited by Marv95; 05-11-2022 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City