Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Denver more similar to?
West Coast cities 106 57.92%
Midwest cities 77 42.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 11:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
One of the funniest things to observe on this forum are the ongoing attempts to associate Denver with not just the west, but the "west coast." There's literally nothing to substantiate it with, and of course the obvious 1000 mile distance.
I feel the same way when people try to associate Denver with the midwest. Denver is more like Portland than it is Cleveland, which is 1400 miles away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I think the main difference between Denver and Minneapolis is that Denver is entirely located in the great plains. Minneapolis and St. Paul are entirely in the eastern deciduous biome which is why I dont consider the cities to be western. Only the far western and southern fringes of the metro are in the prairie which looks a lot different than the high plains where Denver is located.

Compare the southwestern edge of the Twin Cities metro:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qaUugxYWv76F2jXd7

And the eastern edge of Denver's metro:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HRnrjuZXQ9oT1xT97
Nobody goes to the eastern edge of Denvers metro.
Western edge of Denver's metro:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/mEYN2YBCqEeywqPX8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 11:55 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I feel the same way when people try to associate Denver with the midwest. Denver is more like Portland than it is Cleveland, which is 1400 miles away.

Nobody goes to the eastern edge of Denvers metro.
Western edge of Denver's metro:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/mEYN2YBCqEeywqPX8
I didn't say they did. I'm just saying that I don't see how anyone gets a great plains feel in the Twin Cities metro. The great plains is a lot more western in character.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:23 AM

151 posts, read 87,971 times
Quote:
One of the funniest things to observe on this forum are the ongoing attempts to associate Denver with not just the west, but the "west coast." There's literally nothing to substantiate it with, and of course the obvious 1000 mile distance.
There are just as many trying to associate it with the Midwest so couldn't the same thing be said about those comparisons? Neither make much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
The more I think about it, the more I’d say it’s really like neither. But if I had to choose, I’d say Midwest.
Well, it is neither. People could debate whether it's like one side or the other all day but at the end of the day the Mountain West is it's own distinct region. Denver is most similar to places in the Rocky Mountain region like Salt Lake City, despite cultural differences.

Last edited by SaintX; 06-13-2023 at 01:26 AM..

Old 06-13-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
There are just as many trying to associate it with the Midwest so couldn't the same thing be said about those comparisons? Neither make much sense.

Well, it is neither. People could debate whether it's like one side or the other all day but at the end of the day the Mountain West is it's own distinct region. Denver is most similar to places in the Rocky Mountain region like Salt Lake City, despite cultural differences.
Definitely disagree. The mountain west is a subregion of the west. I've been to all major cities on the west coast except for San Diego and they all feel similarly western.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:00 PM

151 posts, read 87,971 times
Quote:
Definitely disagree. The mountain west is a subregion of the west. I've been to all major cities on the west coast except for San Diego and they all feel similarly western.
I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying the Mountain West isn't the West. Just that the Mountain West is it's own region. Denver is literally not the West Coast or Midwest so it's strange that people so passionately want to categorize it as either one.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:19 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
The comparisons with the midwest do make sense.

Denver is one state removed from the actual midwest, and it wouldn't be a bad argument to say that Colorado is the midwest.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying the Mountain West isn't the West. Just that the Mountain West is it's own region. Denver is literally not the West Coast or Midwest so it's strange that people so passionately want to categorize it as either one.
Yeah pretty much.

It's in a pretty clearly defined region, though midwest makes much more sense than west coast, I don't see why people just can't leave it be.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
But it's not its own region. I don't think anyone has argued that Denver is the west coast. I think the argument is that it's more like west coast cities than midwestern cities.
Quote:
The comparisons with the midwest do make sense.

Denver is one state removed from the actual midwest, and it wouldn't be a bad argument to say that Colorado is the midwest.
I think it's a bad argument that Denver is the midwest. The midwest can't stretch from Pittsburgh to Denver.
Quote:
Yeah pretty much.

It's in a pretty clearly defined region, though midwest makes much more sense than west coast, I don't see why people just can't leave it be.
The title of the thread is asking if Denver is more similar to west coast cities than midwest, not asking the region. Denver is more similar to the major west coast cities than it is to the major midwestern cities, except maybe for Kansas City and Minneapolis? There's nothing similar about Denver and Cincinnati, St. Louis, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.

Oh and this forum is designed for us to argue about stupid things.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
But it's not its own region. I don't think anyone has argued that Denver is the west coast. I think the argument is that it's more western than midwestern.

I think it's a bad argument that Denver is the midwest. The midwest can't stretch from Pittsburgh to Denver.

The title of the thread is asking if Denver is more similar to west coast cities than midwest, not asking the region. Denver is more similar to the major west coast cities than it is to the major midwestern cities, except maybe for Kansas City and Minneapolis? There's nothing similar about Denver and Cincinnati, St. Louis, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.

So what are the things Denver has in common with west coast cities? I can't think of a single thing that would specifically associate them to each other.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
But it's not its own region. I don't think anyone has argued that Denver is the west coast. I think the argument is that it's more like west coast cities than midwestern cities.

I'd say Denver is quite similar to other Great Plains cities in how it looks. Take away the mountains and there are a lot of places in Denver that look like they could be in Kansas City, Omaha, or in OKC. Culturally, it's nothing like those places. Denver shares culture with the northern Rocky Mountains states. I think a case can be made for splitting the West into two regions, and I'd say the dividing line is the Pacific Coast ranges and Denver would be the easternmost major city of the mountain region. Denver has more in common with the West excluding coastal California, coastal Oregon, and coastal Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City