Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Denver more similar to?
West Coast cities 106 57.92%
Midwest cities 77 42.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 12:03 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The ones that are about 800 miles closer than Seattle.
When people ask about specifics, they generally expect specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 12:28 PM

365 posts, read 229,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatoyaDanny View Post
Denver is a lot like Seattle. They are about the same core population and metro wise it is a bit smaller than Seattle. Roughly around the same size and influence. Denver airport is also like a top 7 most frequently traveled to airport in America.
Seattle is more influential economically and culturally.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Seattle is more influential economically and culturally.
Culturally how?

Old 06-15-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Colorado was the first state to legalize cannabis, next was Oregon and the rest of the west coast but Colorado lead that push. Cannabis liberalism being more of a west coast thing ever since California's medical program. I don't see many connections to the midwest outside of similar scenery on the plains.
Point of correction here: Colorado and Washington voted to legalize marijuana on the same day in November 2012. Oregon and California didn't follow until later.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:42 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Point of correction here: Colorado and Washington voted to legalize marijuana on the same day in November 2012. Oregon and California didn't follow until later.
Point of clarification: Colorado started selling it 6 months before Washington.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Culturally how?
Starbucks, Microsoft, and Amazon all have a major impact on culture.

Musically, the two cities are not comparable. Seattle was the hub for the Grunge movement that defined 90s rock music (and has greatly influenced all Rock music since.) Denver has no musical acts that can match Nirvana, Pearl Jam, or Jimi Hendrix, or even Heart, Soundgarden or Alice in Chains. Even 90s fashion - flannel shirts, Doc Martens, etc - owes a huge debt to Seattle. Yes, I know the 90s was a long time ago, but Denver has never come close to influencing the culture in the way Seattle did that decade, and the ripple effects are still felt. Even in the 2000s, Seattle had prominent Indie musical acts like Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, Band of Horses and Fleet Foxes.

Seattle is known for coffee, grey weather, seafood, the Space Needle, the movie "Sleepless in Seattle", etc. It just has a stronger place in the cultural imagination than Denver.

Old 06-15-2023, 01:14 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:

Musically, the two cities are not comparable. Seattle was the hub for the Grunge movement that defined 90s rock music (and has greatly influenced all Rock music since.) Denver has no musical acts that can match Nirvana, Pearl Jam, or Jimi Hendrix, or even Heart, Soundgarden or Alice in Chains. Even 90s fashion - flannel shirts, Doc Martens, etc - owes a huge debt to Seattle. Yes, I know the 90s was a long time ago, but Denver has never come close to influencing the culture in the way Seattle did that decade, and the ripple effects are still felt. Even in the 2000s, Seattle had prominent Indie musical acts like Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, Band of Horses and Fleet Foxes.

Seattle is known for coffee, grey weather, seafood, the Space Needle, the movie "Sleepless in Seattle", etc. It just has a stronger place in the cultural imagination than Denver.
Yep. I’d count Costco as a cultural influence as well. Denver is a nice ski area

Old 06-15-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Those companies have made an impact on culture but I don't think Starbucks is linked with Seattle for many people. If you ask a random person on the street what is the first thing they think of when they hear Starbucks and it's gonna be Starbucks stereotypes of white women ordering $12 coffees. Average people probably don't think of Seattle when ordering from Amazon. They'll probably think about Bezos and 2-day delivery. I'm not sure how a headquarters being in a city necessarily means that that city influences the country because of it. Amazon or Microsoft could move anywhere. Seattle's Best is a better company to use because it's directly linked to the city that's known for coffee.

Seattle has Denver on music for sure. I do feel like the age of the 90s grunge (something I never listened to) is long gone probably more because it was never a part of my life. The fashion is also attributed to grunge.

I'm not sure if I agree that Seattle still influences the rest of the country like they did in the 90s. I don't think Denver does. I don't think most cities influence much outside of their regional area. All I think are/were influential are grunge and the fashion surrounding that scene.

Denver is known for being close to the mountains and ski resorts, weed, breweries, being a mile high, being sunny, being snowy, green chile (don't tell New Mexico), etc.
I don't think Seattle has a particularly strong cultural impact on the US as a whole.

Old 06-15-2023, 02:00 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Those companies have made an impact on culture but I don't think Starbucks is linked with Seattle for many people. If you ask a random person on the street what is the first thing they think of when they hear Starbucks and it's gonna be Starbucks stereotypes of white women ordering $12 coffees. Average people probably don't think of Seattle when ordering from Amazon. They'll probably think about Bezos and 2-day delivery. I'm not sure how a headquarters being in a city necessarily means that that city influences the country because of it. Amazon or Microsoft could move anywhere. Seattle's Best is a better company to use because it's directly linked to the city that's known for coffee.

Seattle has Denver on music for sure. I do feel like the age of the 90s grunge (something I never listened to) is long gone probably more because it was never a part of my life. The fashion is also attributed to grunge.

I'm not sure if I agree that Seattle still influences the rest of the country like they did in the 90s. I don't think Denver does. I don't think most cities influence much outside of their regional area. All I think are/were influential are grunge and the fashion surrounding that scene.

Denver is known for being close to the mountains and ski resorts, weed, breweries, being a mile high, being sunny, being snowy, green chile (don't tell New Mexico), etc.
I don't think Seattle has a particularly strong cultural impact on the US as a whole.
Not sure about green chile part. I think most people know that Starbucks and Amazon are from Seattle.

Old 06-15-2023, 04:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Is this a Denver vs. Seattle thread or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City