Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Denver more similar to?
West Coast cities 106 57.92%
Midwest cities 77 42.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 09:34 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times

Advertisements

I think Denver is more like Minneapolis than it is like any West Coast city.

It's really kind of it's own thing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 09:53 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I think Denver is more like Minneapolis than it is like any West Coast city.

It's really kind of it's own thing though.
What ties it more to Minneapolis? Seems like Minneapolis would be more tied to places east and south rather than west. It's right next to Wisconsin and not far from Chicago. Cold outdoor activities tie them together but also to PNW cities. Demographics aren't really that similar depending on how you look at it.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What ties it more to Minneapolis? Seems like Minneapolis would be more tied to places east and south rather than west. It's right next to Wisconsin and not far from Chicago. Cold outdoor activities tie them together but also to PNW cities. Demographics aren't really that similar depending on how you look at it.
It's more of the feel and culture. Outdoor focused, lots of breweries, liberal city adjacent to uber conservative farm country. Mostly gridded across flat land. All of that.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:38 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Minneapolis is my closest corollary to Denver.
--Active lifestyle (MSP is a huge biking city)
--The typical Western house+apartment development pattern
--Substantial pace of infill
--Downtown parallels including Nicollet/16th
--Rail-focused transit systems that are mostly on-street through the cores
--Young-adult-centered population (due to UM in MSP's case)
--More "national" focus than international (limited immigration, limited globally-focused companies/institutions)
--Liberal with Midwest moderation
--Rivers (and small lakes) vs. open water

They have tons of differences but fewer IMO than other pairs.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:44 AM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
Everybody in Denver owns Two dogs and walks, hikes, camps with their two dogs , you must have two dogs to live anywhere near Denver , Denver reminds me of Large Ann Arbor Michigan or Madison. because dogs

Old 06-16-2023, 10:52 AM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Everybody in Denver owns Two dogs and walks, hikes, camps with their two dogs , you must have two dogs to live anywhere near Denver , Denver reminds me of Large Ann Arbor Michigan or Madison. because dogs
Have you been to Seattle? There’s more dogs in city limits than there are children.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:54 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Denver reminds me of Minneapolis in a different dimension. Like it almost feels like the same city but then it doesn't. It's hard to explain lol. But I think think if you add St. Paul to the mix the difference get smaller. If you consider the entire metros then the two cities aren't that similar. Seattle may be just as similar to Denver overall. I seen a post on reddit that stated that Minneapolis, Denver, and Seattle come from the same seed but planted in different regions of the country.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:09 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
It's more of the feel and culture. Outdoor focused, lots of breweries, liberal city adjacent to uber conservative farm country. Mostly gridded across flat land. All of that.
Outside of the flat land part, this is the same with many west coast cities too. The east side of the metro fits the conservative farm country vibe but the west still has liberal types in mountain towns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Minneapolis is my closest corollary to Denver.
--Active lifestyle (MSP is a huge biking city)
--The typical Western house+apartment development pattern
--Substantial pace of infill
--Downtown parallels including Nicollet/16th
--Rail-focused transit systems that are mostly on-street through the cores
--Young-adult-centered population (due to UM in MSP's case)
--More "national" focus than international (limited immigration, limited globally-focused companies/institutions)
--Liberal with Midwest moderation
--Rivers (and small lakes) vs. open water

They have tons of differences but fewer IMO than other pairs.
This sounds like it could be describing Portland too.
What is midwest moderation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Denver reminds me of Minneapolis in a different dimension. Like it almost feels like the same city but then it doesn't. It's hard to explain lol. But I think think if you add St. Paul to the mix the difference get smaller. If you consider the entire metros then the two cities aren't that similar. Seattle may be just as similar to Denver overall. I seen a post on reddit that stated that Minneapolis, Denver, and Seattle come from the same seed but planted in different regions of the country.
I've never been to Minneapolis but this sounds like a better description to me.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:10 AM

I think Seattle is quite a bit different than the other two. It's much more built up due to it's being wedged between the ocean and mountains. Minneapolis and Denver have an absurd amount of urban sprawl.

I do think there are some real similarities in how the urban core feels, but I see Minneapolis and Denver as siblings or first cousins, with Seattle being some kind of more distant relative.

Denver sits on the west edge of the prairie as it slams into the mountains, Minneapolis sits on the east edge of the prairie as it slams into the great forests, and the flatness of both locations renders the cities a look and feel that Seattle is simply wildly different from.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:12 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Portland fills most of those boxes, but it's far different climatically, has ocean-going ships, and feels culturally different from the other two--more hard-progressive vs pragmatic liberal (related to that Midwestern moderation thing), and not surrounded by Plains-type agriculture. Its greater downtown area is my favorite of the trio (last visit was pre-Covid) but on a smaller scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City