Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Denver more similar to?
West Coast cities 106 57.92%
Midwest cities 77 42.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 10:35 AM

12,835 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
Because it snows? That's like saying Houston and LA have similar climates because they're both mostly warm year round. Can't really think of a Midwestern city with dry summers, low precipitation, abundant sunshine and weather patterns heavily influenced by a mountain range. With that said, Denver doesn't have similarities to any climate on the West Coast either. It's the only large city with a Semi-Arid climate classification so I think it's pretty unique in that regard.

Also flatness isn't solely a trait of the Midwest. Most cities in the West are built on a flat plain or desert land. What makes Denver's location on the same type of landscape any different?

I think there are valid reason some may say Denver is more similar to the Midwest but those aren't very good ones
It won't answer this question, but Denver is basically Boise's big brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 10:37 AM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Correct. I say that as a former Boise resident.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:44 AM

151 posts, read 87,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It won't answer this question, but Denver is basically Boise's big brother.
I agree. But I've never heard anyone say Boise, or even Colorado Springs/SLC, was the Midwest despite all sharing similar architecture, climates, landscapes and culture (outdoors).

Old 06-22-2023, 11:09 AM

I'm confused by your comment. Boise and SLC aren't on the Great Plains.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm confused by your comment. Boise and SLC aren't on the Great Plains.
Of course not. But they are built on primarily flat/dry grassland which is what I was getting at. If being built on flat/arid/treeless land makes a place Midwestern, why then doesn't that apply to places with similar terrain?

Old 06-22-2023, 11:25 AM

I've seen no claims like that. The point about Denver includes the points that it's on the Great Plains, shares some Great Plains culture, and has no major topography to the east.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I've seen no claims like that. The point about Denver includes the points that it's on the Great Plains, shares some Great Plains culture, and has no major topography to the east.
You should look a couple of pages back. A poster asked about what Midwestern traits Denver has and a few posters brought up it's flat landscape as a reason why. This has been said a few times throughout this thread so I'm just wondering why people think that's solely a characteristic of Midwestern cities.

Old 06-22-2023, 12:04 PM

853 posts, read 336,938 times
I'm not sure it is physical and geographic traits or climate that defines a region. In my mind culture is the driver. That said, the culture of Denver is clearly that of the mountain west, considering it is the region's primary city.

Old 06-22-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
You should look a couple of pages back. A poster asked about what Midwestern traits Denver has and a few posters brought up it's flat landscape as a reason why. This has been said a few times throughout this thread so I'm just wondering why people think that's solely a characteristic of Midwestern cities.

I was responding to this claim, which hasn't been made: "If being built on flat/arid/treeless land makes a place Midwestern..."

Old 06-22-2023, 12:23 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
My thing is, you're comparing Denver (a large city) to mostly desolate land where few people live. The parts of the Midwest with cities comparable in size do not share the same landscape or climate. Minneapolis and Kansas City, for example, look next to nothing like Denver. Or am I blind? I must be going blind chile...

To be clear my stance isn't that Denver is more similar to the West coast, but it's not as similar to many populated parts of the Midwest as some are suggesting either.
I would say there are a few physical characteristics it shares with Kansas City and Omaha, but not enough to say they are that comparable.

I'm not thinking of Denver being similar to the Western Midwest as minimizing it, I think Denver is the cultural and economic capital of the Western Plains, Western Midwest, and Eastern Rockies. Its the city people from those regions move to and travel to if they want to go to the big city. I've done work trips to Kearney/Grand Island, NE and Rapid City, SD and the people there pretty well look to Denver when they want to go to the big city. Its the big city they speak of.

I also like to think of spheres of influence. Denver's sphere of influence is largely Eastern Rockies and Western Plains.

So comparing Denver to places that aren't that populated isn't a way of putting it down or anything. To me, its just what would happen if those areas became a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City