Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Denver more similar to?
West Coast cities 106 57.92%
Midwest cities 77 42.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 01:50 PM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Apparently in Denver tech bros love beer and being bros. Surprised that hasn't mosied on over to Austin.
They aren't comparable. Denver doesn't pull near the tech workers away from the Bay Area that Austin does. Denver pulls from a more diverse set of American regions. Austin pulls more specifically from places like Northern California, Boston, Seattle, and other tech heavy places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 09:05 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
They aren't comparable. Denver doesn't pull near the tech workers away from the Bay Area that Austin does. Denver pulls from a more diverse set of American regions. Austin pulls more specifically from places like Northern California, Boston, Seattle, and other tech heavy places.
Can't remember where I've seen these stats but I'm pretty sure that Denver pulls a ton of people from California also. And of course both cities pull a bunch from Houston and Dallas. Actually Denver is one of the main places that people move to from Austin. (Those who has their will to live snapped by the heat ) Austin is definitely more tech-centric economically.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:10 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Apparently in Denver tech bros love beer and being bros. Surprised that hasn't mosied on over to Austin.
Denver is bro central for sure. Austin has more of a nerdy tech bro vibe

Old 06-27-2023, 09:11 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Can't remember where I've seen these stats but I'm pretty sure that Denver pulls a ton of people from California also. And of course both cities pull a bunch from Houston and Dallas. Actually Denver is one of the main places that people move to from Austin. (Those who has their will to live snapped by the heat ) Austin is definitely more tech-centric economically.
How’s that El Niño working for you this summer?

Old 06-27-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Denver is bro central for sure. Austin has more of a nerdy tech bro vibe
Hmm, for better or worse Austin seems quite a bit more "hip" to me than Denver. There are kind of two sides to the Californians in Austin: The Bay Area people are quiet and nerdy and most of them move here for cheaper housing for their family. They like to buy big houses in NW Austin and Cedar Park. I see these people at work but rarely in the city doing things (because as I mentioned they have multiple kids and live in Cedar Park!). Then there are the LA people that move here for the nightlife and music scene and run around filming 100% of their lives on instagram. I see these people at every bar, restaurant or event I go to.

Then Denver has a completely different group that is all about climbing 14'ers every weekend. These people usually seem pretty nerdy to me, they are just in nerds in good shape.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:22 PM

1,854 posts, read 795,516 times
Midwest cities

Old 06-27-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How’s that El Niño working for you this summer?
I'm many generations Texan so in general my body is adapted. . We had a couple of days go > 115 heat index and that is a point where I can no longer handle it and need to hide in air conditioning. That felt like peak Phoenix or Vegas heat. The 10 day forecast seems to indicate that the heat wave is passing so fingers crossed there!

Old 06-27-2023, 09:50 PM

393 posts, read 261,757 times
Denver felt more midwestern until Californians moved to the state in droves.

Old 06-28-2023, 09:49 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
There's not THAT many Californians in Denver. The bulk of the people that moved there were from CO itself or the nearby areas - that came since that's where the jobs were, like I did when I was 22. People that moved from Greeley after college or whatever. That paradigm is shifting rapidly now though.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 2,740 times
From a cultural perspective, I've always felt that Denver was a western version of Pittsburgh. It's its own thing but it is a big debate about if it's more Midwest or coast influenced. You can see both in the cities depending on where you are looking.

Denver has always given me very strong vibes of Columbus, Ohio and Kansas City more so than SF, LA or Seattle because it's so flat with lots of sprawling areas that are new. That newness from the last 20ish years is a big reason I lean Midwest for Denver. It probably also helps that Denver and Columbus have both been test markets for major brands for years so they tend to see the same type of fast casual restaurants popping up. A bunch of the "Chipotle but for [cuisine]" start or test in Columbus. Denver is obviously a bigger, more vibrant city than almost any place in the Midwest outside of Chicago.

Once you get out of the city proper which is where I think you really start to get the Western influences a lot more.

Overall, though I think Denver is a pretty unique place that doesn't fit neatly in either box but it's fun to endlessly debate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City