Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Denver more similar to?
West Coast cities 106 57.92%
Midwest cities 77 42.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 11:10 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post

Then Denver has a completely different group that is all about climbing 14'ers every weekend. These people usually seem pretty nerdy to me, they are just in nerds in good shape.
I think you're referring to the Brag Bro's.

"I bagged the summit in 90 minutes and it would have been faster if wasn't for all the yoga mom's with backpack toddlers slowing up the trail. Good thing I para-sailed down or I would never have made happy hour"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 11:15 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Hmm, for better or worse Austin seems quite a bit more "hip" to me than Denver. There are kind of two sides to the Californians in Austin: The Bay Area people are quiet and nerdy and most of them move here for cheaper housing for their family. They like to buy big houses in NW Austin and Cedar Park. I see these people at work but rarely in the city doing things (because as I mentioned they have multiple kids and live in Cedar Park!). Then there are the LA people that move here for the nightlife and music scene and run around filming 100% of their lives on instagram. I see these people at every bar, restaurant or event I go to.

Then Denver has a completely different group that is all about climbing 14'ers every weekend. These people usually seem pretty nerdy to me, they are just in nerds in good shape.
. I think they’re both hip I’m different t ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPitt1989 View Post
From a cultural perspective, I've always felt that Denver was a western version of Pittsburgh. It's its own thing but it is a big debate about if it's more Midwest or coast influenced. You can see both in the cities depending on where you are looking.

Denver has always given me very strong vibes of Columbus, Ohio and Kansas City more so than SF, LA or Seattle because it's so flat with lots of sprawling areas that are new. That newness from the last 20ish years is a big reason I lean Midwest for Denver. It probably also helps that Denver and Columbus have both been test markets for major brands for years so they tend to see the same type of fast casual restaurants popping up. A bunch of the "Chipotle but for [cuisine]" start or test in Columbus. Denver is obviously a bigger, more vibrant city than almost any place in the Midwest outside of Chicago.

Once you get out of the city proper which is where I think you really start to get the Western influences a lot more.

Overall, though I think Denver is a pretty unique place that doesn't fit neatly in either box but it's fun to endlessly debate it.
Great post. A lot of midwesterners move to Denver as well

Old 07-07-2023, 06:32 PM

130 posts, read 86,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Run by the LDS, conservative, highly religious. In Denver mushrooms are legal, in SLC, they have to separate restaurants and bars. It felt very different to me.
SLC is less than 30% Mormon now. Run by the church no. State? Probably. Most of the precincts in SLC voted 70%+ democrat in the last election

Old 07-07-2023, 11:39 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times
Denver has a way more western culture, demography, topography than any city in the Midwest. For one, most major Midwestern cities had a major manufacturing component, Denver feels much more new economy. Demographically, it far more Latino and way less African-American than most major Midwestern cities. Then obviously, the huge mountains are just not there in the Midwest.

Old 07-08-2023, 06:37 AM

211 posts, read 120,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Denver has a way more western culture, demography, topography than any city in the Midwest. For one, most major Midwestern cities had a major manufacturing component, Denver feels much more new economy. Demographically, it far more Latino and way less African-American than most major Midwestern cities. Then obviously, the huge mountains are just not there in the Midwest.
While the African American point is legit. Milwaukee and Kansas City are both pretty latino in the core city.

Old 07-08-2023, 06:50 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
I think MPLS is more of an exception than a rule. When it comes to the regional cities overall, Denver has a lot more in common with Seattle, Portland, and even San Diego than it does with Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, and even KCMO.

Old 07-08-2023, 03:03 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVegan View Post
SLC is less than 30% Mormon now. Run by the church no. State? Probably. Most of the precincts in SLC voted 70%+ democrat in the last election
It was the whole bar vs restaurant thing. Absolutely bizarre thing to see for me.

Old 07-08-2023, 06:05 PM

406 posts, read 342,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyPitt1989 View Post
From a cultural perspective, I've always felt that Denver was a western version of Pittsburgh. It's its own thing but it is a big debate about if it's more Midwest or coast influenced. You can see both in the cities depending on where you are looking.

Denver has always given me very strong vibes of Columbus, Ohio and Kansas City more so than SF, LA or Seattle because it's so flat with lots of sprawling areas that are new. That newness from the last 20ish years is a big reason I lean Midwest for Denver. It probably also helps that Denver and Columbus have both been test markets for major brands for years so they tend to see the same type of fast casual restaurants popping up. A bunch of the "Chipotle but for [cuisine]" start or test in Columbus. Denver is obviously a bigger, more vibrant city than almost any place in the Midwest outside of Chicago.

Once you get out of the city proper which is where I think you really start to get the Western influences a lot more.

Overall, though I think Denver is a pretty unique place that doesn't fit neatly in either box but it's fun to endlessly debate it.

I agree. I've lived in Pittsburgh for couple of years, visited Denver and traveled/lived throughout the US. I feel that Denver is most similar to Minneapolis but could also have some things in common with Pittsburgh, Kansas City or Columbus.

Old 07-09-2023, 10:08 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It was the whole bar vs restaurant thing. Absolutely bizarre thing to see for me.
You can eat in bars, and you can drink in most all of the nicer restaurants. People under 21 are not allowed in bars, though, even just to eat. Some restaurants have a separate bar area where people under 21 are not allowed. It just takes some getting used to.

Old 07-09-2023, 02:40 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post
While the African American point is legit. Milwaukee and Kansas City are both pretty latino in the core city.
Yes, Chicago does too but the lack of African American culture is definitely noticeable from somebody coming from further east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City