Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Denver more similar to?
West Coast cities 106 57.92%
Midwest cities 77 42.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 08:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You can eat in bars, and you can drink in most all of the nicer restaurants. People under 21 are not allowed in bars, though, even just to eat. Some restaurants have a separate bar area where people under 21 are not allowed. It just takes some getting used to.
Yeah, I'm sure it does but it comes from the Mormon population, right? Because they aren't allowed to be in "bars."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 08:50 AM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
You can eat in bars, and you can drink in most all of the nicer restaurants. People under 21 are not allowed in bars, though, even just to eat. Some restaurants have a separate bar area where people under 21 are not allowed. It just takes some getting used to.

This is standard in Washington state too.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:33 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yeah, I'm sure it does but it comes from the Mormon population, right? Because they aren't allowed to be in "bars."
They're allowed to be in bars. They're just not allowed to drink alcohol. I am a Mormon and I go to bars with friends. I just don't order alcohol.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
They're allowed to be in bars. They're just not allowed to drink alcohol. I am a Mormon and I go to bars with friends. I just don't order alcohol.
Well someone at The Bayou told me a lie.

Old 07-11-2023, 05:53 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Quote:
Isn't this fairly common? I know in Philly all ages are allowed in bars but that's not the norm, right? These days there are bars with incredible food and restaurants with great cocktail/beer/wine programs. The big difference in my mind is - aside from breweries - people under 21 typically aren't allowed in bars and they have more bar seating than tables.

Old 07-11-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Isn't this fairly common? I know in Philly all ages are allowed in bars but that's not the norm, right? These days there are bars with incredible food and restaurants with great cocktail/beer/wine programs. The big difference in my mind is - aside from breweries - people under 21 typically aren't allowed in bars and they have more bar seating than tables.
I was told that restaurants can't have bar tops and in order to be a restaurant instead of a bar is to serve food or something? Or the ability to eat it at the bar? Sounds confusing for no reason. The signs in front are also strange.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:24 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
All I know is when I was at a hotel they made me order popcorn to get a drink

Old 07-17-2023, 08:50 PM

172 posts, read 123,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Here are the categories -

- Built environment
- Overall Culture
- Culture specific to food, drink, sports, work
- People
- Transportation infrastructure and commute patterns
- Overall vibe

Which is Denver more similar to?
Denver has always felt very, very similar to Sacramento to me.

The culture, vibe, people and infrastructure is Denver says a large version of Sacramento to me.

Denver also has similar vibes in culture, people and vibe to Reno, Ogden and some of the neighborhoods in Salt Lake City.

I can't think of one thing at all in Denver that would remind me of Omaha, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Chicago, Columbus, Indianapolis.

Many times people compare to Minneapolis to Denver but they are polar opposites in my opinion also.

Denver feels nothing like a Midwest city at all.

Denver has alot of historic areas because like San Francisco it was a rather large city for that part of the country in the late 1800s.

Denver's food culture is similar to a Western City.

Denver has a much, much higher percentage of those who are from another state originally compared to the Midwest.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:03 PM

406 posts, read 341,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotweatherlover1982 View Post

The culture, vibe, people and infrastructure is Denver says a large version of Sacramento to me.

Denver also has similar vibes in culture, people and vibe to Reno, Ogden and some of the neighborhoods in Salt Lake City.

I can't think of one thing at all in Denver that would remind me of Omaha, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Chicago, Columbus, Indianapolis.

Many times people compare to Minneapolis to Denver but they are polar opposites in my opinion also.

Denver has alot of historic areas because like San Francisco it was a rather large city for that part of the country in the late 1800s.

Denver has a much, much higher percentage of those who are from another state originally compared to the Midwest.
Maybe Denver feels more Western now. I visited the Denver area 20 yrs ago and at that time it felt very Midwestern. I am considering relocating to Denver since it seems like a good cultural fit for me.

Old 07-19-2023, 01:48 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotweatherlover1982 View Post

But it also doesn't feel like a West Coast city at all to me either. I guess if you really want to pinpoint it you could say it's a Mountain West city on steroids, with hints of the Southwest, the Midwest and the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City