Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Denver more similar to?
West Coast cities 106 57.92%
Midwest cities 77 42.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 05:16 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

I really like the Minneapolis comparison, speaking as someone who likes MSP.

Each is historically a city of houses, but is infilling at a good rate with apartments. Each has good bike infrastructure, a light rail system built at-grade through the center, and an iconic bus mall. They're at a similar scale.

They're also very different, but what two cities aren't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 05:16 PM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I think people in Denver would like to think they are more similar to the West Coast. But Denver feels much more like Minneapolis or Des Moines than it does San Francisco or Portland IMO.
I see Minneapolis but not sure what Des Moines is doing in the conversation. Funnily though, Des Moines might’ve overtaken Denver in foreign born population percentage(slightly) at least in the city limits. Des Moines is about 15% foreign born and that’s not surprising from personal experience. Still, Des Moines isn’t close to the urbanity and vibrancy of either city, even when scaled down.

https://www.dsmpartnership.com/growi...s/foreign-born

Old 05-19-2022, 05:40 PM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I see Minneapolis but not sure what Des Moines is doing in the conversation. Funnily though, Des Moines might’ve overtaken Denver in foreign born population percentage(slightly) at least in the city limits. Des Moines is about 15% foreign born and that’s not surprising from personal experience. Still, Des Moines isn’t close to the urbanity and vibrancy of either city, even when scaled down.

https://www.dsmpartnership.com/growi...s/foreign-born
Des Moines is a cool, growing city with an upwardly mobile, educated, and white population. Sounds pretty Denvery to me, except Denver is actuality growing much more slowly.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:46 PM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I just don’t get why Chicago shouldn’t be lumped in with those other cities though. Chicago is within 1 percentage point with Boston, Seattle and Dallas and depending on the data you look at, it might be even more than those places as well. I wouldn’t say Chicago is first tier like NYC, San Francisco, Miami and Los Angeles. But I don’t clearly see the difference in internationalism between Chicago and Boston, and in my personal experience I don’t quite see the difference either. Chicago’s Chinatown is growing a lot more than Boston’s, Uptown is Chicago’s answer to dorchester and Boston doesn’t really have anything like the Devon corridor either nor anything on the scale of 26th street. This isn’t to say that Boston/Dallas doesn’t feel international but I don’t see how Boston is international but not Chicago??
Yeah I think I meant DC. I don't think Boston is a very international city. And I don't think that Chicago is a very international city. But I'm not sure that they are particularly different from each other in that way. The only difference, which, is actually a big one honestly, is that Chicago's foreign born population is overwhelmingly Mexican while Boston had a pretty interesting diversity of migrants. Nut that's also true of places like LA and Dallas, so I'm not sure that ultimately makes a huge difference in terms of internationalism.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:50 PM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Des Moines is a cool, growing city with an upwardly mobile, educated, and white population. Sounds pretty Denvery to me, except Denver is actuality growing much more slowly.
Des Moines White population is rapidly declining though while Denver’s growing/stagnant at least in the city limits. For example, Denver’s white population actually grew from 52% to 54%, while Des Moines lost 10%, going from about 70% to 60% between 2010 and 2020 alone.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:50 PM

141 posts, read 90,621 times
West Coast getting more votes than I expected

Old 05-21-2022, 06:25 PM

122 posts, read 129,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
They are not even comparable. Des Moines is no where near on the same level. They both have big white populations but Denver is much more diverse and that’s not a debate.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:38 PM

120 posts, read 107,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Sacramento is probably the most similar on the West Coast although it feels much smaller.
This. Denver has always struck me as what Sacramento might have been (even larger, perhaps) if not for the proximity and massive cultural and economic gravity of the Bay Area.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:30 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
This. Denver has always struck me as what Sacramento might have been (even larger, perhaps) if not for the proximity and massive cultural and economic gravity of the Bay Area.
Good point, and I agree.

Still yet, Sacramento has done well. It may have been a blessing that growth in Sacramento was curtailed.

2020: Primary/Combined Metro Population numbers rounded-up:

SJ-SF Bay Area: 9.6 million

Denver: 3.7 million
Sacramento: 2.7 million
Austin: 2.3 million

Old 05-23-2022, 11:45 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Culturally definitely west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City