Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Denver more similar to?
West Coast cities 106 57.92%
Midwest cities 77 42.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 12:17 PM

15 posts, read 11,517 times

Advertisements

Denver is Dallas with mountains. Literally. Take away the outdoor recreation aspect of Denver, what's unique about it? Definitely midwest. And it doesnt have the diversity or ethnic enclaves of west coast cities. You used to be able to say legal weed was unique, but nowadays every blue state has legalized it.

Last edited by Ryantheturtle; 05-23-2022 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 05:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantheturtle View Post
Denver is Dallas with mountains. Literally. Take away the outdoor recreation aspect of Denver, what's unique about it? Definitely midwest. And it doesnt have the diversity or ethnic enclaves of west coast cities. You used to be able to say legal weed was unique, but nowadays every blue state has legalized it.
Western culture, cowboys, Mexican culture, gold mines, mountain culture. Taking away the mountains for your comparison is stupid. That's like taking away the river from New Orleans.
And if Denver is midwest, where does Dallas come into play? Also Seattle is about as diverse.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:58 PM

853 posts, read 336,871 times
I visited Denver for the first time in 2016. My initial impression was that it reminded me more of Minneapolis than any other city I had been to, both in terms of built form and vibe. That said, Minneapolis is probably the least typically Midwestern of any major Midwestern city.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:27 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantheturtle View Post
Are you implying the Midwest cities are not unique? I'd put most Midwestern city architecture over any city on the West Coast.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:08 AM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Western culture, cowboys, Mexican culture, gold mines, mountain culture. Taking away the mountains for your comparison is stupid. That's like taking away the river from New Orleans.
And if Denver is midwest, where does Dallas come into play? Also Seattle is about as diverse.
Literally none of that stuff is in Denver except for Mexican culture, which Dallas has even more of. Denver itself is literally just a Plains city on the doorstep of all of those "mountainy" things.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:17 AM

151 posts, read 87,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Are you implying the Midwest cities are not unique? I'd put most Midwestern city architecture over any city on the West Coast.
I agree. The tone in here seems to be Midwest=Bad, West Coast=Good but I find the Midwest to have a lot of interesting attribute including architecture, which Denver does tend to take after in that regard.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:49 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Literally none of that stuff is in Denver except for Mexican culture, which Dallas has even more of. Denver itself is literally just a Plains city on the doorstep of all of those "mountainy" things.
This strikes me as correct. Denver is neither midwestern nor west-coast. It is the western most city on the great plains, at the edge of the mountains. Denver is the largest and most important city of the western plains, in very similar ways to how Dallas is the largest and most important city of the southern plains. There is nothing coastal -east or west about Denver. It looks nothing like cities on the west coast or even inland ones like Vegas or Phoenix. Not a palm tree in sight . . .Maybe a few more similarities with the PNW cities, but not really. Seattle is essentially a maritime city. The rivers are central to the identity and development of Portland. Not true for Denver and the Platte. If there were a large city east of the Cascades in Washington or Oregon, I could imagine it being a bit like Denver, but there is not.

I also think the midwestern cities being mentioned are equally a stretch. Minneapolis is humid as can be and lakeland. Kansas City would be closer, but Denver is quite a bit bigger and more liberal. I have always half- joked that Denver is a poor man's Dallas with less diversity and much better views . . . Long way of saying: Denver is more of a Great Plains city than it is a midwestern one or a west coast one.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:57 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
For someone who claims to be "from Denver" constantly, your post history conveys a knowledge level of the city that is superficial at best. Zero specifics and plenty of generalities that anyone with an internet connection and a web browser can find in 30 mins or less.

Denver doesn't have western culture? Alrighty then. It does, and anybody "from here" or who has lived here for any length of time would know that. We'd also know the nickname of "the stupid horse."

Old 05-24-2022, 10:22 AM

2,857 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
This strikes me as correct. Denver is neither midwestern nor west-coast. It is the western most city on the great plains, at the edge of the mountains. Denver is the largest and most important city of the western plains, in very similar ways to how Dallas is the largest and most important city of the southern plains. There is nothing coastal -east or west about Denver. It looks nothing like cities on the west coast or even inland ones like Vegas or Phoenix. Not a palm tree in sight . . .Maybe a few more similarities with the PNW cities, but not really. Seattle is essentially a maritime city. The rivers are central to the identity and development of Portland. Not true for Denver and the Platte. If there were a large city east of the Cascades in Washington or Oregon, I could imagine it being a bit like Denver, but there is not.

I also think the midwestern cities being mentioned are equally a stretch. Minneapolis is humid as can be and lakeland. Kansas City would be closer, but Denver is quite a bit bigger and more liberal. I have always half- joked that Denver is a poor man's Dallas with less diversity and much better views . . . Long way of saying: Denver is more of a Great Plains city than it is a midwestern one or a west coast one.
Any resemblance between Denver and Dallas are superficial.
Dallas has a reputation as a pretentious, consumerist and big hair kind of place while Denver has more of a crunchy, casual vibe.

I really doubt there are that many people who love both Denver and Dallas. They aren't for the same type of people.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:32 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Any resemblance between Denver and Dallas are superficial.
Dallas has a reputation as a pretentious, consumerist and big hair kind of place while Denver has more of a crunchy, casual vibe.

I really doubt there are that many people who love both Denver and Dallas. They aren't for the same type of people.
The big hair stereotype is a bit overplayed, but North Dallas into Collin County is definitely full of judgmental, pretentious dbags. There are considerably fewer Bible thumpers in Denver than there are in DFW as well (a positive for Denver IMNSHO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City