Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Denver more similar to?
West Coast cities 106 57.92%
Midwest cities 77 42.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 10:43 AM

40 posts, read 27,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
This strikes me as correct. Denver is neither midwestern nor west-coast. It is the western most city on the great plains, at the edge of the mountains. Denver is the largest and most important city of the western plains, in very similar ways to how Dallas is the largest and most important city of the southern plains. There is nothing coastal -east or west about Denver. It looks nothing like cities on the west coast or even inland ones like Vegas or Phoenix. Not a palm tree in sight . . .Maybe a few more similarities with the PNW cities, but not really. Seattle is essentially a maritime city. The rivers are central to the identity and development of Portland. Not true for Denver and the Platte. If there were a large city east of the Cascades in Washington or Oregon, I could imagine it being a bit like Denver, but there is not.

I also think the midwestern cities being mentioned are equally a stretch. Minneapolis is humid as can be and lakeland. Kansas City would be closer, but Denver is quite a bit bigger and more liberal. I have always half- joked that Denver is a poor man's Dallas with less diversity and much better views . . . Long way of saying: Denver is more of a Great Plains city than it is a midwestern one or a west coast one.
This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 01:06 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The big hair stereotype is a bit overplayed, but North Dallas into Collin County is definitely full of judgmental, pretentious dbags. There are considerably fewer Bible thumpers in Denver than there are in DFW as well (a positive for Denver IMNSHO).
Dallas does feel like part of the Bible Belt to a greater extent than Houston or Austin, even though percentage of evangelicals probably aren't that different.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:58 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
For someone who claims to be "from Denver" constantly, your post history conveys a knowledge level of the city that is superficial at best. Zero specifics and plenty of generalities that anyone with an internet connection and a web browser can find in 30 mins or less.

Denver doesn't have western culture? Alrighty then. It does, and anybody "from here" or who has lived here for any length of time would know that. We'd also know the nickname of "the stupid horse."
Denver seems to inspire a lot of hate on these boards, and it typically comes from posters who know the area the least. There are plenty of reasons to rip on Denver, but not being “western” isn't one of them.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:33 AM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
Suggesting Denver is like Dallas is particularly bizarre. The two cities (and their respective states) are very far apart in pretty much every way.

I'd say Denver is more West Coast just by virtue of the fact that it's located in Colorado, and Colorado is in lockstep with the West coast states (and the Northeast, and a few other states) on an overwhelming majority of policies and issues. Cities are a product of their environment, which is the state they are located in. Minnesota and Illinois tend to be part of this same group that Colorado is in, but most of the Midwest is not.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:30 PM

824 posts, read 712,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Suggesting Denver is like Dallas is particularly bizarre. The two cities (and their respective states) are very far apart in pretty much every way.

Cities are a product of their environment, which is the state they are located in. Minnesota and Illinois tend to be part of this same group that Colorado is in, but most of the Midwest is not.
I don’t really understand this point honestly. I can see how denver is kinda like Minneapolis but I don’t see many similarities with Chicago.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:40 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post

I'd say Denver is more West Coast just by virtue of the fact that it's located in Colorado, and Colorado is in lockstep with the West coast states (and the Northeast, and a few other states) on an overwhelming majority of policies and issues. Cities are a product of their environment, which is the state they are located in. Minnesota and Illinois tend to be part of this same group that Colorado is in, but most of the Midwest is not.
Sometimes cities can seem not to belong to the state it's in.
Austin for example could come across as more West Coast than Texan to some, whether such comparison has merit is a different matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I also think the midwestern cities being mentioned are equally a stretch. Minneapolis is humid as can be and lakeland. Kansas City would be closer, but Denver is quite a bit bigger and more liberal. I have always half- joked that Denver is a poor man's Dallas with less diversity and much better views . . . Long way of saying: Denver is more of a Great Plains city than it is a midwestern one or a west coast one.
This part also makes no sense as Denver is a much more expensive city.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:15 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
A "poor man's" anything doesn't have to refer to cost, just to being lesser in some way. Not that I agree with the Dallas comparison either way.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:13 PM

151 posts, read 87,734 times
Dallas and Denver have a few similarities but overall not enough for them to be labeled a version of the other. I can see the Minneapolis comparisons a bit but I have a feeling that the similarities are overstated since they’re close in size.

Most similar city to Denver I’ve seen outside of Colorado is Salt Lake City. Denver is more city-like and SLC is more scenic but they really look similar as you drive around.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:23 PM

141 posts, read 90,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
Dallas and Denver have a few similarities but overall not enough for them to be labeled a version of the other. I can see the Minneapolis comparisons a bit but I have a feeling that the similarities are overstated since they’re close in size.

Most similar city to Denver I’ve seen outside of Colorado is Salt Lake City. Denver is more city-like and SLC is more scenic but they really look similar as you drive around.
I've heard people describe Boise as a mini-Denver in terms of built environment. Is there any truth to that?

Old 05-25-2022, 05:38 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
I find them very similar, having lived in Boise a long time ago. They have historic cores and lots of tree-lined streets full of wood houses. There's agriculture on the fringes and mountains on the edge, much closer to the core in Boise's case. The climates are similar. Boise used to have a weak core but now it's a pretty strong one. Both have strong recreational mindsets, including leaving work a little early for late-afternoon skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City