Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2022, 07:11 PM

17,149 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Tampa does have a few interesting developments underway, but St. Pete is really the one blowing up right now. Lots of new towers are going up there, including one building over 500’. I’m less familiar with what’s going up in Orlando, but I’ll say it’s deserving.

Tampa’s tallest building was built in 1992 which says a lot I think.
It seems like a lot of Tampa’s focus has been lower to mid rise developments around Westshore and by the airport. There just hasn’t been much done to improve its downtown skyline. Those buildings downtown are starting to look very outdated. Not sure if I’d call it neglect, but it certainly feels that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 07:15 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I wouldn’t say it’s slower paced and it isn’t full of retirees, it’s just disorganized and spread out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Also, I definitely do not see Tampa as “slow-paced” and full of retirees. It feels no different than Charlotte in most aspects.
I don't know, from the few weeks of time that I have been there, it just feels "slower". It doesn't feel as hustly and bustly as other places I have been and spent any substantial time in, such as Denver, NOLA, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, or Dallas. To me its a big city with a small city feel, which is actually a great thing! I love it. It is very reminiscent of the city I grew up in, Corpus Christi... just much larger., without feeling much larger. I feel like TB is it's bigger, older brother. Traffic isn't all that bad, restaurants aren't crazy packed every day of the week, bars aren't overcrowded compared to some of the places listed above, food and beer is reasonably priced, and parking is easy to find in Tampa and St. Pete.

Yet there is still so much to do and see there and the entertainment options are endless. I have nothing but great things to say about the area. It is definitely one of my favorite cities I have been to!

Old 11-15-2022, 07:43 PM

859 posts, read 694,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Tampa definitely isn't impressive. But I wouldn't say its underwhelming either. It is a very compact city with only 400,000 people and takes up a small chunk of its 3 million people metro area with St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and Brandon. Not to mention, St. Petersburg has a nice little skyline of its own. From my time there, I would say a lot of people go to retire there and it has a lot slower pace than most cities its size, and feels smaller and more local. Anyways, the skyline is respectable and it lights up well at night. It just wouldn't win any awards. With Ybor and Harbor Island, it stretches out pretty well:

Tampa Skyline Pano by PrimaPix Visuals, on Flickr
I always found it weird that Tampa's skyline was so small for a metro of it's size.

Old 11-17-2022, 03:58 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
The down skyline is pretty compressed especially for a Texas city.
Doesn’t look as dense as places like Seattle or sf. Also there’s nothing really distinguishable among those buildings. I’m sure the sheer height and volume is impressive but it just doesn’t look as dense as some smaller cities.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:23 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Hartford, for a region of 700k people, is overwhelming for its size.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:44 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Totally agree with this.

I read that back in the mid to late 80s, Hartford had several towers proposed in the 600-800-ish range, as well, but those wound up not being built.

For their population city size of about 130k, their skyline is dense and has good height, with several skyscrapers over 500 feet.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:55 PM

93,238 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Hartford has 1.2 million people in its metro area.

Old 11-23-2022, 01:50 PM

3,885 posts, read 2,194,795 times
Quote:
Isn't Hartford also a major hub for financial and insurance companies?

Old 11-23-2022, 06:44 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
Here is a photo of Atlanta's secondary skyline in Buckhead

Buckhead by Shenard Long, on Flickr

Old 11-23-2022, 08:29 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Here is a photo of Atlanta's secondary skyline in Buckhead

Buckhead by Shenard Long, on Flickr
Not as dense as Bellevue Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City