Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 05:45 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
DC probably has some of the MOST attractive suburbs in the country.
When combined with it's exurbs, it's up there. There are bland suburbs in the region but they are spotless and clean and many are close to transit. Where DC pulls away from most areas is the amount of mixed-use TOD development outside of the city proper. There's multiple "mini cities" Bethesda, Alexandria, Arlington, Silver Spring just naming a few that are hubs of activity, shopping, bars, restaurants, clubs, music venues, and feel like an escape from DC. Throw in the more quaint and older exurbs like Frederick, Fredericksburg, Leesburg, Manassas, even an Annapolis etc., and it's a lovely mix. The historical sites around DC or just outside of it, as well as other museums outside the city provide even more options, and the recreation metro area wide is plentiful and not just in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 08:10 PM

810 posts, read 2,160,966 times
Baltimore?

Old 06-15-2022, 11:15 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Chicago for sure. Without the city itself it's basically suburban Detroit.
Pretty much.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:58 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
When combined with it's exurbs, it's up there. There are bland suburbs in the region but they are spotless and clean and many are close to transit. Where DC pulls away from most areas is the amount of mixed-use TOD development outside of the city proper. There's multiple "mini cities" Bethesda, Alexandria, Arlington, Silver Spring just naming a few that are hubs of activity, shopping, bars, restaurants, clubs, music venues, and feel like an escape from DC. Throw in the more quaint and older exurbs like Frederick, Fredericksburg, Leesburg, Manassas, even an Annapolis etc., and it's a lovely mix. The historical sites around DC or just outside of it, as well as other museums outside the city provide even more options, and the recreation metro area wide is plentiful and not just in the city.
I think is this is a “what does it offer to a tourist” DC still isn’t on that list. Old Town Alexandria, Arlington National Cemetery, and the Washington Commanders are pretty legit attractions outside city limits.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:09 AM

25 posts, read 21,687 times
Dallas

Old 06-16-2022, 09:20 AM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Morris View Post
Dallas
Hmmmm.... going to disagree on this one. In fact I'll argue that it proportionally has more outside of the city limits than most others, from an activity perspective:

- Jerryworld
- Wherever the Rangers play these days (in Arlington)
- The Ranch from Dallas
- Fort Worth (ducks from flying objects thrown by FW residents)
- Texas Motor Speedway
- Highland Park
- All of the corporate-y stuff in Plano/Frisco

In fact, outside of Uptown/Downton and the area around SMU, can the casual visitor even distinguish between the city of Dallas and the suburbs? I lived there for 10 years and barely could.

That is not to say that I like the suburbs of Dallas, they're meh to me. But if you visit the DFW area you're as likely to be spending your time in the suburbs vs. the city of Dallas.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:21 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think is this is a “what does it offer to a tourist” DC still isn’t on that list. Old Town Alexandria, Arlington National Cemetery, and the Washington Commanders are pretty legit attractions outside city limits.
This thread though is about which cities have least going on outside their main city. Not what tourist attractions are there outside the city. Very different points. The former which the thread is about, certainly can pertain to locals living in a city/metro area.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:26 AM

25 posts, read 21,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Hmmmm.... going to disagree on this one. In fact I'll argue that it proportionally has more outside of the city limits than most others, from an activity perspective:

- Jerryworld
- Wherever the Rangers play these days (in Arlington)
- The Ranch from Dallas
- Fort Worth (ducks from flying objects thrown by FW residents)
- Texas Motor Speedway
- Highland Park
- All of the corporate-y stuff in Plano/Frisco
Not sure if serious. Did you really mention the Ranch from Dallas? I guess when I think of things to do I'm more aligned with hikes, skiing, the beach, gambling (yes, aware of Gaylord resort).

I guess the Speedway could be fun though. Not sure I'm driving into Plano to do "corporate-y"stuff.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:35 AM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Morris View Post
Not sure if serious. Did you really mention the Ranch from Dallas? I guess when I think of things to do I'm more aligned with hikes, skiing, the beach, gambling (yes, aware of Gaylord resort).

I guess the Speedway could be fun though. Not sure I'm driving into Plano to do "corporate-y"stuff.
I don't think we're interpreting this question the same way. I'm not suggesting that I personally enjoy any of that stuff - one of the reasons I left Dallas was because there wasn't much in the metroplex outside of work & eating/drinking. But many of the attractions that Dallas is known for are outside of the city of Dallas (and yes, that includes the Ewing Ranch). I threw in the Plano/Frisco thing because there are many visitors to DFW who never set foot in the city of Dallas, especially if they're there for work. It is "something", even if not my speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City