Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 10:58 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has more F500-1000 than 5 if you include the metro area. Throw in several privately held corporations that are F500-1000 in size, San Antonio has 12 total corporations that generate in the billions annually down from 15. San Antonio lost 3 F500 to mergers or relocation, the giant SBC/AT&T, and recently CST brands and Tesoro Energy. San Antonio would otherwise have about 9 or 10 that are F500-1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 01:30 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
He was talking metro. Houston is 3rd by Metro and 2nd by city. DFW is 4th by Metro.
Correct, just as DFW has been gaining F500 HQs (Caterpillar, AECOM), so has Houston (HPE, Exxon).

Old 06-25-2022, 07:07 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
This is very interesting. People have been saying Chrevron would move to Houston and I also thought it was inevitable, especially after Exxon announced their move from Irving to Houston.

So this morning I saw "Chevron selling headquarters" run across the news strip at the bottom of the tv news screen so I googled the story.

They are sending a bunch of HQ workers to Houston to join their already massive office tower there, but they are downsizing to a smaller San Ramon HQ.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ch...es-11656105572

How odd. Why not move already?

Old 06-25-2022, 07:29 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Sometimes it’s because the CEO or president don’t want to move, likely for personal reasons. So they keep a presence in the old location. Once new leadership comes in, there is a good chance Houston will get the full hq.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:09 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,022,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Sometimes it’s because the CEO or president don’t want to move, likely for personal reasons. So they keep a presence in the old location. Once new leadership comes in, there is a good chance Houston will get the full hq.
Yes, exactly...the CEO has a lot to do with HQ decisions. Neri was instrumental in bringing HPE HQ to Houston. Without him it would not have happened.

Old 06-25-2022, 09:50 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
I agree, Exxon built this massive Headquarters in Houston and everyone thought they were moving by it took years after that to announce they were moving.
Like Heel said, it usually happens with new Leadership.

P.S. lol Montclair likes sending the unwanted scraps to Texas.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:50 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I agree, Exxon built this massive Headquarters in Houston and everyone thought they were moving by it took years after that to announce they were moving.
Like Heel said, it usually happens with new Leadership.

P.S. lol Montclair likes sending the unwanted scraps to Texas.
Lol well the Bay Area has given Texas McKesson, Charles Schwab, Oracle, HPE, Tesla, Core-Mark and Im sure others I cant think of, but this lot is comprised of some of our most famous corporate brands.

Now Chevron, Twitter, and Wells Fargo are rumored to be thinking about it?(Twitter is Elon Musk has his way)

I guess I should be absolutely distraught at this point, but tbh I kind of dont miss these companies and I wont miss the others either. I say that because there is so much in the start up pipeline, including around 200 unicorns($1B start ups)

Wells Fargo is downright evil. Im ashamed at what's happened there. They once had a sterling reputation but now they are absolute trash.

Furthermore, Charles Schwab, Larry Ellison and Elon Musk are all nutty to me, and dont even get me started on Peter Thiel...Schwab still lives here and Ellison bought an entire Hawaiian island, so these oligarchs carry a ton of baggage-not having to see them as much in local going on has been sweet.

Furthermore with regards to Chevron, what happens if and when automakers transition to all-Electric? It's happening very quickly. How does that affect the oil industry?

Furthermore, Ro Khanna, my favorite local congressman, is all about spreading Silicon Valley's wealth and power to other parts of the country, and I have become somewhat of a disciple of that idea.

Lastly, SF really shoots itself in the foot time and time again. I blame uber progressive extremists in city govt for SF losing a lot of opportunities, here are 2 examples:

1. Uber started testing driverless cars so the city banned testing them. HOW STUPID IS THAT. Uber moved that to Phoenix and Pittsburgh.

2. Juul was a $35B start up and was #1 in it's eCigarette segment, so the city bans eCigarettes. MORONIC. Juul moved to suburban DC and I dont blame them one bit.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:59 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Fortune 1000/500 lists translate into very little. Major corporations who pay modest wages vs. disruptive, entrepreneurial, lean enterprise.

Great for employment numbers, (in theory) beneficial for a corporate tax base, but it doesn’t really translate into wealth or prosperity for an area.

The gold prize is VC money, tech, bio, healthcare. That’s really what moves the needle.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:28 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is very interesting. People have been saying Chrevron would move to Houston and I also thought it was inevitable, especially after Exxon announced their move from Irving to Houston.

So this morning I saw "Chevron selling headquarters" run across the news strip at the bottom of the tv news screen so I googled the story.

They are sending a bunch of HQ workers to Houston to join their already massive office tower there, but they are downsizing to a smaller San Ramon HQ.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ch...es-11656105572

How odd. Why not move already?
Chevron recently opened an office at Rice University’s ION Midtown project (basically their version of SRP). Since these two news releases happened simultaneously, I’ll suppose that’s where some of those employees are going. https://houston.innovationmap.com/ch...657544958.html

Old 06-26-2022, 07:16 PM

120 posts, read 107,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
2. Juul was a $35B start up and was #1 in it's eCigarette segment, so the city bans eCigarettes. MORONIC. Juul moved to suburban DC and I dont blame them one bit.
Juul moved to DC, presumably to try to maximize its influence over the Feds/FDA. Doesn't seem to have helped, as the FDA just banned its products....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City