Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place would you live in with no car?
Cleveland, OH 11 23.40%
Pittsburgh, PA 22 46.81%
St. Louis, MO 14 29.79%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 11:00 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times

Advertisements

Premise of the question is weird to me. Who is relocating to Cleveland for a job which doesn't even pay enough to afford a car? There are only a handful of US cities I'd consider going completely car-free in and none of these are in that group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 11:29 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Premise of the question is weird to me. Who is relocating to Cleveland for a job which doesn't even pay enough to afford a car? There are only a handful of US cities I'd consider going completely car-free in and none of these are in that group.
This is a fictional scenario. What's weird about it? Have you seen the prices of cars, insurance and gas lately? You can make it without a car in mentioned cities but it wouldn't be ideal or like Chicago or NYC.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:49 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I thought I explained this pretty well-

Everything is getting more expensive, it's seems plausible that there are people looking into doing something like this.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:15 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

Cleveland:

2.1 miilion metro population, light and heavy rail with one of the few airport terminal connections in the nation.

Pittsburgh:

2.4 million metro, light rail that goes underground downtown, arguably the nation's premiere BRT system. Also things like incline trams and water taxis.

St. Louis:

2.8 million metro, the largest (46 miles) interurban rail system of any of these three (second in midwest ridership behind Minneapolis)
Just to note, St. Louis's larger mentioned system also does these two things.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Just like travel to cities like Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Minneapolis and Denver is easier from St. Louis.

Also, staying on topic of car-free living, St. Louis has six daily Amtrak departures for Chicago, compared to one or two Pittsburgh-NYC trip per day.
Quote:
I'm not moving its a completely fictional scenario.

Though I voted for Pittsburgh also, I find it strange that Pittsburgh gets credit for being "close to northeast cities", but St.Louis doesn't get credit for being closer to Chicago, etc.
Yeah, it has absolutely nothing to do with your question at all... Certain posters like to come out against St. Louis in every single thread it's brought up in though, usually with weird results like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Ok. Since it is a fictional scenario I vote Pittsburgh as well for the downtown and something different.

St. Louis has some Chicago flavor. Especially in the neighborhoods. I hear so many Chicago transplants compare Central West End to Evanston. St. Louis doesn't get credit for a lot of things.
St. Louis is crazy underrated in real life and on here (with some trolls to boot)... Pitt is very underrated in real life as well, but def a bit overrated on here.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:32 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I think there are neighborhoods in all of these where living without a car can be done pretty easily and pleasantly, but that's provided that you're either working from home or can live within easy walking, biking, or transit distance/time to your workplace while living in one of the nice walkable neighborhoods. Without considering that, I think maybe it's Pittsburgh, then St. Louis, and then Cleveland but without a massive distance among these.

Pittsburgh has the largest contiguous bloc of fairly walkable areas and with some outside of it and relatively little of very abandoned areas. The bus system is great though it's weird that downtown and the East End don't have more rapid transit among each other. I think there should be a Y of sorts for its rail system that meets in downtown with one going north, one headed east, one headed south and these should be interlined so that there's always two services on each set of tracks. A North-South, a North-East, and a South-East.

St. Louis has multiple somewhat disjoint blocs of nice walkable areas generally just a bit cut-off from each other if walking the distance though its light rail system does a good job of connecting several of these. It would be great if there was a north south line though that went through downtown and

Cleveland has a strong downtown and multiple areas where it's pretty walkable with some of them connected by rapid transit as in actual rapid transit. I think a Detroit Ave-Superior Ave rapid transit subway would be fantastic.

All of these need some highways removed, capped, and/or boulevard-ized though. Also, it's incredibly silly that there isn't frequent, usable rail service between Pittsburgh and Cleveland via Youngstown. Capitol Limited should run twice a day and with the second run set something like eight to twelve hours apart from the current run (maybe keep these as going through Warren). A separate similar twice a day service but terminating in Detroit should also run. The Pennsylvanian should run three times a day and extend to at least Cleveland, maybe terminate in the airport. That's a good solid seven trips each way.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-21-2022 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-21-2022, 03:33 PM

All of these could work just fine, it just depends on where you live in each (and frankly, this is the same in almost all of the major US cities... cities way larger are relatively just as bad/good...)

I do think it's a bit more between St. Louis and Pitt though. I could def see Pitt winning if we talked just about downtown and immediately adjacent areas, but I feel like St. Louis pulls ahead as a region. It's a larger region, so it has more walkable nodes, and it has a larger rail network to connect them. I just feel like St. Louis gives more living options for this question vs Pitt being better if we narrower it down to just a much smaller area. Then as others mentioned, weather and topography come into play as well.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Just to note, St. Louis's larger mentioned system also does these two things.
Indeed it does, with not one but two Terminal stations.

San Diego's light rail is constantly being criticized by locals for not having an airport link or going underground downtown and I'll bet %90 of the nation doesn't know STL has a system that does this.

With all the nonstop fawning over the super-amazing transit of NYC, DC, and Chicago, and how all the other systems in the country are unusable, I've never heard these facts about the MetroLink on this forum.

Amazing.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think there are neighborhoods in all of these where living without a car can be done pretty easily and pleasantly, but that's provided that you're either working from home or can live within easy walking, biking, or transit distance/time to your workplace while living in one of the nice walkable neighborhoods. Without considering that, I think maybe it's Pittsburgh, then St. Louis, and then Cleveland but without a massive distance among these.
Yes, and I"d say Pitt's buses are giving them more of an advantage then their LRT. I've taken sub- 1 hour bus rides from central PGH to suburbs like Oakmont. Nothing groundbreaking, but good for two bucks in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Pittsburgh and St. Louis has the same level of education attainment. Costs of living to income ratio of the three are about as close as they can get. Walkscore, bikes score and transit score for Cleveland, Pittsburgh and St Louis are about the same. I think OP should narrow down to neighborhoods and get an idea where he or she would be working and shop different areas to live in so when they visit each city there would be a focus.
Agreed, although St. Louis does score highest on two out of the three metrics you mentioned. The one it doesn't (transit), I, weirdly enough, consider least important... Reason being, if you're not living on one of the rail / major transit lines in these cities (or any US city), your situation is probably irrelevant to this question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City