Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place would you live in with no car?
Cleveland, OH 11 23.40%
Pittsburgh, PA 22 46.81%
St. Louis, MO 14 29.79%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 08:26 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

The average cost of a new car is inching towards $50,000, and the average monthly American car payment has passed $700. This and nationwide $5.00 per gallon gas, with rents reaching all time highs.

With those real world facts in mind, consider this hypothetical scenario:

You are looking at imminent work relocation to one of these metro areas. On your budget, private car ownership is well out of reach. You will rely completely on public transit in one of these three metro areas which all have a few things in common:

They are between 2-3 million population.

In a country of skyrocketing COL, it has gotten cheaper to live in these places over the years, while "up and coming" metro areas, some which lack the most basic city amenities, have gotten wildly expensive.

Cleveland:

2.1 miilion metro population, light and heavy rail with one of the few airport terminal connections in the nation.

Pittsburgh:

2.4 million metro, light rail that goes underground downtown, arguably the nation's premiere BRT system. Also things like incline trams and water taxis.

St. Louis:

2.8 million metro, the largest (46 miles) interurban rail system of any of these three (second in midwest ridership behind Minneapolis)

Which one for completely car free living and why? Please don't invoke/compare larger cities to argue why any of these systems are failures.

Consider everything, bike paths, pedestrian walkways, utilization of waterways, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 09:28 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2021/10/...han-you-think/

Interesting info. For instance St. Louis’ car-free census tracts conform to low-income areas, not transit-areas. The university was the only area that overlapped the car-free with the rail system.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:09 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
I am not familiar with rapid transit in Cleveland or Pittsburgh.

I know if you are commuting suburb to suburb in St. Louis, it is almost impossible to commute less than an hour. City to suburb can be done depending upon where you are going. Commuting within the city or inner suburbs like, Brentwood, Shrewsbury, Richmond Heights, Clayton and Maplewood is the most favorable situation.

You definitely have to plan your life around the central corridor to be carless in St. Louis without inconvenience. Downtown and Downtown West has some decent rentals with great walkability for a decent price.

Metro Link is a good system for what it does. Three major universities, The Galleria, two airports, Scott Airforce Base, major employment centers like Downtown, Midtown, Central West End, Cortex and Clayton. The trains are always clean and on time. I would avoid the system totally after 11 o'clock for safety reasons.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 06-19-2022 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-20-2022, 07:14 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
Probably St Louis? I say that based on weather. Cleveland and Pittsburgh have terrible weather 8 months out of the year (I know terrible is subjective, not all snow is terrible). I don’t think I’d like to stand around waiting on a bus in Cleveland or Pittsburgh in January. Geography also makes Pittsburgh a little more challenging. If you are walking a few blocks to make connections, the hilly landscape can prove exhausting (carrying groceries and other items).

Old 06-20-2022, 11:28 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Probably St Louis? I say that based on weather. Cleveland and Pittsburgh have terrible weather 8 months out of the year (I know terrible is subjective, not all snow is terrible). I don’t think I’d like to stand around waiting on a bus in Cleveland or Pittsburgh in January. Geography also makes Pittsburgh a little more challenging. If you are walking a few blocks to make connections, the hilly landscape can prove exhausting (carrying groceries and other items).
The thing is, it's gloomy and overcast in Cleveland and Pittsburgh for a lot more of the year, than a lot of other regions in the US. Plus, Cleveland gets that lake effect snowfall also.

St Louis will have less harsh winters than either city. But St Louis gets its fair share of snow and cloudiness as well--just not to the extend of Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Of the 3, it's definitely a bit nicer overall weather.

Also, Pittsburgh is my choice in general, out of these 3 cities for the OP. Pittsburgh has a more east coast vibe to its downtown and adjoining nice neighborhoods, and seems a bit more of a draw for the creative/digital/tech white collar workers these days. Google, Facebook, Uber, Duolingo and more tech companies have set up good sized offices in Pittsburgh.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201805/...nsylvania.html

If someone lives in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside, for example, car-free living would be a breeze. It's super walkable with beautiful vibrant neighborhood blocks.

Also, travel to major east coast cities is closer, than Cleveland or St Louis. You can get to DC, Philly, NYC and Boston relatively easily and efficientily from Pittsburgh.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Also, travel to major east coast cities is closer, than Cleveland or St Louis. You can get to DC, Philly, NYC and Boston relatively easily and efficientily from Pittsburgh.
Just like travel to cities like Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Minneapolis and Denver is easier from St. Louis.

Also, staying on topic of car-free living, St. Louis has six daily Amtrak departures for Chicago, compared to one or two Pittsburgh-NYC trip per day.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:14 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Pittsburgh is the clear winner. The city is more compact and its downtown is more vibrant with things to do. I like the low cost of living and proximity to other Northeastern cities. It is also significantly safer than the other cities and more educated.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:12 AM

Pittsburgh and St. Louis has the same level of education attainment. Costs of living to income ratio of the three are about as close as they can get. Walkscore, bikes score and transit score for Cleveland, Pittsburgh and St Louis are about the same. I think OP should narrow down to neighborhoods and get an idea where he or she would be working and shop different areas to live in so when they visit each city there would be a focus.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Pittsburgh and St. Louis has the same level of education attainment. Costs of living to income ratio of the three are about as close as they can get. Walkscore, bikes score and transit score for Cleveland, Pittsburgh and St Louis are about the same. I think OP should narrow down to neighborhoods and get an idea where he or she would be working and shop different areas to live in so when they visit each city there would be a focus.
I'm not moving its a completely fictional scenario.

Though I voted for Pittsburgh also, I find it strange that Pittsburgh gets credit for being "close to northeast cities", but St.Louis doesn't get credit for being closer to Chicago, etc.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I'm not moving its a completely fictional scenario.

Though I voted for Pittsburgh also, I find it strange that Pittsburgh gets credit for being "close to northeast cities", but St.Louis doesn't get credit for being closer to Chicago, etc.
Ok. Since it is a fictional scenario I vote Pittsburgh as well for the downtown and something different.

St. Louis has some Chicago flavor. Especially in the neighborhoods. I hear so many Chicago transplants compare Central West End to Evanston. St. Louis doesn't get credit for a lot of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City