Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is most 1. Family/child oriented 2. Outdoorsy/near forests and 3. Socially conservative
Denver 4 9.09%
Minneapolis 0 0%
Sacramento 2 4.55%
Milwaukee 2 4.55%
Atlanta 0 0%
Charlotte 1 2.27%
Pittsburgh 2 4.55%
Raleigh 10 22.73%
Cincinnati 9 20.45%
St. Louis 2 4.55%
Nashville 12 27.27%
Cleveland 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 08:44 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times

Advertisements

If having a large concentration of families with children is the top priority, I would think greater Salt Lake City is a better choice than any of the areas listed in the poll. While Pittsburgh (for example) has plenty of attributes that are very suited to families, statistically the percentage of children is very low in that area.

Utah is also pretty much the best example of an environment where "traditional" values dominate without too much of the Trump-flavored populism. Outdoor recreation is obviously a strong feature of the area as well.

I'll just say with regard to Raleigh that it does not come across as a conservative environment. Yes, it has a rather low key urban fabric relative to its population and economy. But it's a progressive, highly educated, steadily evolving area that also has an excellent park and greenway system, and plenty of cultural amenities.

Last edited by jas75; 06-21-2022 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 09:33 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Most big city suburbs fit this to some extent. There are more social conservatives than you’d think in this world, thankfully. I could say a lot more about that in a political forum.
Of the list, Minneapolis and Milwaukee strike me as the most outdoorsy and family oriented.
Minnesota state politics is sometimes wonky. Wisconsin probably has a little bit stronger conservative presence in it’s state legislature.
Sacramento would be the obvious one to avoid due to the state it’s in. Denver wouldn’t be much better but there might be some remnants of Old Colorado out there somewhere.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:37 AM

817 posts, read 599,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
If having a large concentration of families with children is the top priority, I would think greater Salt Lake City is a better choice than any of the areas listed in the poll. While Pittsburgh (for example) has plenty of attributes that are very suited to families, statistically the percentage of children is very low in that area.

Utah is also pretty much the best example of an environment where "traditional" values dominate without too much of the Trump-flavored populism. Outdoor recreation is obviously a strong feature of the area as well.

I'll just say with regard to Raleigh that it does not come across as a conservative environment. Yes, it has a rather low key urban fabric relative to its population and economy. But it's a progressive, highly educated, steadily evolving area that also has an excellent park and greenway system, and plenty of cultural amenities.
I think Salt Lake is obviously the best fit, which is precisely why I left it off the list of choices. If I had included it then Salt Lake would have like 70% of the vote. I am curious about which other cities or metros might also fit the criteria, albeit less perfectly than Salt Lake City.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:11 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Raleigh is fairly moderate politically. Durham and Chapel Hill are much more progressive. The influx of commuters from Johnston and Harnett probably make it more moderate than it looks from afar. You’d have no problem finding conservatives of all stripes.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:55 AM

97 posts, read 58,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Nashville possibly?

Family-friendliness and social conservatism don't differ as much from one suburban area to the next as the outdoors stuff does. I'd nix Milwaukee and St. Louis from your list, there's really nothing like that anywhere close to them (and the cities proper are among the more liberal ones here).
Not sure where you got the idea that Milwaukee isn't close to "outdoors stuff". The Kettle Moraine State Forest (north and south units), Pike Lake State Park, Harrington Beach State Park, Glacial Drumlin Trail, Oak Leaf Trail, Schlitz Audubon Center, Urban Ecology Center, numerous other bike trails, the extensive, 15,000-acre Milwaukee County Parks System, mountain biking trails in Waukesha and Ozaukee County, skiing at Little Switzerland, Sunburst, etc. So many opportunities for outdoor recreation! And even though the OP doesn't want to give them as much weight, yes, there are a LOT of WATER SPORTS and activities, on Lake Michigan, the Milwaukee River, and in the Lake County (inland lakes).

Old 06-22-2022, 09:10 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I think Salt Lake is obviously the best fit, which is precisely why I left it off the list of choices. If I had included it then Salt Lake would have like 70% of the vote. I am curious about which other cities or metros might also fit the criteria, albeit less perfectly than Salt Lake City.
Parts of the Atlanta metro would fit the criteria, such as Forsyth and Cherokee counties on the far north side. They are family oriented and conservative communities, with mostly highly rated school systems. Outdoor amenities are very attractive in both counties, with major lakes such as Allatoona and Lanier and excellent hiking in the nearby Appalachian foothills.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:17 AM

705 posts, read 445,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Cincinnati, then Raleigh for sure. The others range from mixed bag to not very conservative. Both of these are very family oriented with a lot of activities. Raleigh is not an outdoorsy city, per se, but it is very close to recreational areas. I am more familiar with Cincinnati since I spent part of my life growing up there.

1. Family-oriented. Cincinnati. Cincinnati contains a host of cultural museums, historical markers, and theme parks. Northern suburbs like Blue Ash, Mason, West Chester, Liberty etc. are very nice areas. I always stop to visit the Summit when I am in town. Other notable areas include Fountain Square/Hyde Park, Over-The-Rhine, Mt. Lookout, Findlay Market, and for all of the shopping you can handle, Kenwood.

2. Outdoorsy. Cincinnati is for nature lovers. The city is easily accessible to parks and hiking. There are even Red Bike rentals to help explore the downtown and Fountain Square areas. The Ohio Riverfront has several attractions on both sides. It is very easy to spend the day exploring the Banks, Covington, and Newport. Ault Park, Armleder, and Bender Mountain are nice hiking areas.

3. Conservative. Cincinnati is socially conservative. The culture is a mix of German, Appalachian, Middle America, and some Southern undertones among others. Cincinnati is a business town and also industrial, so there is a mix of conservative minded individuals.

Cincinnati is not more conservative than Nashville.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:36 AM

509 posts, read 433,618 times
They aren't on your list and are smaller cities, but I would also consider Knoxville TN, Greenville SC, and Lynchburg VA.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:01 AM

817 posts, read 599,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Most big city suburbs fit this to some extent. There are more social conservatives than you’d think in this world, thankfully. I could say a lot more about that in a political forum.
Of the list, Minneapolis and Milwaukee strike me as the most outdoorsy and family oriented.
Minnesota state politics is sometimes wonky. Wisconsin probably has a little bit stronger conservative presence in it’s state legislature.
Sacramento would be the obvious one to avoid due to the state it’s in. Denver wouldn’t be much better but there might be some remnants of Old Colorado out there somewhere.
Personally I think Milwaukee might be the most underrated city on the list. Not only is it one of the Midwest's greatest outdoorsy cities but it also possesses fairly conservative suburbs that balance out the liberal city (and Wisconsin is a pretty balanced state overall). The only thing I'm just not sure about is whether it is in any particular way family-centered, at least more so than the other cities on the list or in the Midwest generally--I spend a decent amount of time there but it's hard to get a read on that aspect of the place.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:46 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Personally I think Milwaukee might be the most underrated city on the list. Not only is it one of the Midwest's greatest outdoorsy cities but it also possesses fairly conservative suburbs that balance out the liberal city (and Wisconsin is a pretty balanced state overall). The only thing I'm just not sure about is whether it is in any particular way family-centered, at least more so than the other cities on the list or in the Midwest generally--I spend a decent amount of time there but it's hard to get a read on that aspect of the place.
We lived in an inner suburb of Milwaukee a few years back and it was probably the most family friendly place we’ve lived.
Kansas City had more cheap/free family stuff to do, but Milwaukee had a bit stronger neighborhood/community feel, at least in the areas we lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City