Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is most 1. Family/child oriented 2. Outdoorsy/near forests and 3. Socially conservative
Denver 4 9.09%
Minneapolis 0 0%
Sacramento 2 4.55%
Milwaukee 2 4.55%
Atlanta 0 0%
Charlotte 1 2.27%
Pittsburgh 2 4.55%
Raleigh 10 22.73%
Cincinnati 9 20.45%
St. Louis 2 4.55%
Nashville 12 27.27%
Cleveland 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 11:47 AM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Cincinnati is not more conservative than Nashville.
Cincinnati is more socially conservative. That is what the op asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 05:56 PM

817 posts, read 602,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
We lived in an inner suburb of Milwaukee a few years back and it was probably the most family friendly place we’ve lived.
Kansas City had more cheap/free family stuff to do, but Milwaukee had a bit stronger neighborhood/community feel, at least in the areas we lived in.
Sounds like Whitefish or Tosa, which are both wonderful (though quite liberal) places to raise a family.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:29 PM

393 posts, read 262,933 times
Nashville would win in this case. Keep in mind, cities are overall quite liberal, but Nashville metro area is among the least liberal.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:36 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,769,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Sounds like Whitefish or Tosa, which are both wonderful (though quite liberal) places to raise a family.
We lived in a different area, but yes, similar to those. It didn’t feel too liberal at the time, but things may have changed since then.
Personally I’d look at some place like Port Washington if we were to go back closer to Milwaukee.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:40 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,456,101 times
I voted Cincinnati. I lived there for a year, and these criteria match so closely the kind of people I worked with. Granted, I was working for an outdoors-oriented, youth-focused employer. The Cincinnati metro is definitely family oriented and socially conservative, especially in the way you describe. It is very much a Catholic metro. It ranked 18th nation wide for percent Catholic back in 2016. This, along with some Southern/Appalachian influences and a decent Evangelical population, leads to a high percentage of people focused on "traditional family values." Cincinnati has some of the best outdoors recreation options in the Midwest. I believe Shakeesha already listed many of them. It has more interesting topography and is much more well-forested than a typical Midwestern area.

I could see some of the other areas, such as Raleigh and Nashville, fit the bill as well. But something tells me these areas may not be quite as "socially conservative" --- perhaps because of their high transplant population. I am definitely not familiar with Nashville, though, so I may be wrong.

OP, could you please explain the criteria to me? Is this just for fun? Or have you had a change of heart in life values? Because I do remember you were thinking about bigger, "crunchier" (ie, progressive) cities/neighborhoods. This led you to consider a few neighborhoods in Philadelphia...

Old 06-23-2022, 07:48 AM

714 posts, read 448,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Cincinnati is more socially conservative. That is what the op asked.
That's debatable Nashville is not a super liberal metro area by any means even with them seeing a lot of transplants lately and it's still in the heart of the Southeast and bible belt no matter what.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:01 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 1 day ago)

8,361 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
That's debatable Nashville is not a super liberal metro area by any means even with them seeing a lot of transplants lately and it's still in the heart of the Southeast and bible belt no matter what.
Davidson County is very blue but its surrounded by the reddest suburban counties in the US. What doesnt help Nashville is that the metro area isnt that diverse and what diversity is located in the area is in Davidson County.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:58 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,397,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Denver is a completely democratic city. I don't know of any conservative cities in the U.S.

Some of the Denver or Colorado Springs suburbs sound more like what you're looking for: Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock, Monument, etc. They can be VERY expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Ok, it's not on your list but maybe Colorado Springs would interest you then. If it's too small, remember that Denver is <1 hour away. Plenty of families, conservatives (all kinds) and for the outdoors, obviously one of the best locations around.

jb
Coloraado Springs, while politically and fiscally conservative, is actually pretty liberal socially. Not what was asked for by the OP. Colo Spgs has a lot of interracial marriages, accepting of LGBTQ, has a large New Age style population, a fair sized artistic community, and even a smattering of vintage hippie types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City