Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is most 1. Family/child oriented 2. Outdoorsy/near forests and 3. Socially conservative
Denver 4 9.09%
Minneapolis 0 0%
Sacramento 2 4.55%
Milwaukee 2 4.55%
Atlanta 0 0%
Charlotte 1 2.27%
Pittsburgh 2 4.55%
Raleigh 10 22.73%
Cincinnati 9 20.45%
St. Louis 2 4.55%
Nashville 12 27.27%
Cleveland 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 02:03 PM

817 posts, read 596,866 times

Advertisements

1. Family-oriented. Mainly I'm just asking about where the greatest percentage of people get married and have the greatest number of kids. Some places you see couples with kids everywhere. Some places you see very liof that. I'm definitely emphasizing the former.

2. Outdoorsy. Especially I'm talking about access to nature, lots of hiking, etc. I'm not talking so much about water sports.

3. Conservative. I don't mean Trumpy, and I'm not even talking specifically about GOP vote totals. I mean conservatives in a more cultural sense ("social conservativism"). Although I think non Trumpy Republican areas (if they still exist) fit what I'm talking about pretty well.

I put these three criteria in order of importance, so the kid-filled thing matters more than the conservative thing, but obviously they all matter.

The metros are: Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Denver, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Nashville, Raleigh, St. Louis, Cleveland, Charlotte, Sacramento..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 02:23 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Its going to be very heard to meet the 'socially conservative' as I personally don't know a single person who is like this anymore, even trump supporters. Anti Gay Marriage, abortions, etc. That really exists nowhere in communities today.

But if you are thinking more tradionalist like Reagan? .. I would say New Hampshire or parts of the Midwest.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:24 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its going to be very heard to meet the 'socially conservative' as I personally don't know a single person who is like this anymore, even trump supporters. Anti Gay Marriage, abortions, etc. That really exists nowhere in communities today.
It doesnt really exist in big cities but it definitely exists in smaller ones and rural areas. Maybe a few suburbs as well.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:29 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:

But if you are thinking more tradionalist like Reagan? .. I would say New Hampshire or parts of the Midwest.
Out of sight out of mind. But as As Above So Below said, it surely exists, just not as much in big cities

Old 06-21-2022, 03:02 PM

461 posts, read 545,624 times
Denver is a completely democratic city. I don't know of any conservative cities in the U.S.

Some of the Denver or Colorado Springs suburbs sound more like what you're looking for: Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock, Monument, etc. They can be VERY expensive.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Denver is a completely democratic city. I don't know of any conservative cities in the U.S.

Some of the Denver or Colorado Springs suburbs sound more like what you're looking for: Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock, Monument, etc. They can be VERY expensive.
I think most of these cities are almost 80% Democratic. But there is a difference between 90% and 70% Democratic and when you throw in suburban areas for consideration that can make a significant difference between metropolitan areas. In any case it's only the third most important consideration on the list.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:31 PM

461 posts, read 545,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I think most of these cities are almost 80% Democratic. But there is a difference between 90% and 70% Democratic and when you throw in suburban areas for consideration that can make a significant difference between metropolitan areas. In any case it's only the third most important consideration on the list.
Ok, it's not on your list but maybe Colorado Springs would interest you then. If it's too small, remember that Denver is <1 hour away. Plenty of families, conservatives (all kinds) and for the outdoors, obviously one of the best locations around.

jb

Old 06-21-2022, 03:31 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Nashville possibly?

Family-friendliness and social conservatism don't differ as much from one suburban area to the next as the outdoors stuff does. I'd nix Milwaukee and St. Louis from your list, there's really nothing like that anywhere close to them (and the cities proper are among the more liberal ones here).

Old 06-21-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:

I don't totally disagree with you, but there are metro areas that are like 55% pro-gay marriage and there are metro areas that are like 85% pro gay marriage and the difference of those 30 points makes an enormous difference in the overall vibe and culture of a place. So that's what I'm talking about. "Conservative" is kind of a relative term, anyway, so I would compare the cities in this list with the rest of metropolitan America and even other metros on the list to determine whether it is in fact "socially conservative."

Old 06-21-2022, 07:27 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Cincinnati, then Raleigh for sure. The others range from mixed bag to not very conservative. Both of these are very family oriented with a lot of activities. Raleigh is not an outdoorsy city, per se, but it is very close to recreational areas. I am more familiar with Cincinnati since I spent part of my life growing up there.

1. Family-oriented. Cincinnati. Cincinnati contains a host of cultural museums, historical markers, and theme parks. Northern suburbs like Blue Ash, Mason, West Chester, Liberty etc. are very nice areas. I always stop to visit the Summit when I am in town. Other notable areas include Fountain Square/Hyde Park, Over-The-Rhine, Mt. Lookout, Findlay Market, and for all of the shopping you can handle, Kenwood.

2. Outdoorsy. Cincinnati is for nature lovers. The city is easily accessible to parks and hiking. There are even Red Bike rentals to help explore the downtown and Fountain Square areas. The Ohio Riverfront has several attractions on both sides. It is very easy to spend the day exploring the Banks, Covington, and Newport. Ault Park, Armleder, and Bender Mountain are nice hiking areas.

3. Conservative. Cincinnati is socially conservative. The culture is a mix of German, Appalachian, Middle America, and some Southern undertones among others. Cincinnati is a business town and also industrial, so there is a mix of conservative minded individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City