Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you enjoy most?
Memphis 23 29.87%
Omaha 32 41.56%
Tulsa 10 12.99%
Little Rock 4 5.19%
Des Moines 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 06:51 PM

59 posts, read 53,874 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Looking for opinions on the 4 cities above. I've been interested in the coastal cities for most of my life, and realize that there is a lot of neat parts of the country I'm not familiar with. Looking for opinions on...

Do you have a favorite out of Memphis, Omaha, Tulsa, and Little Rock?
Which one is most walkable?
Has the coolest neighborhoods?
Best restaurant & bar vibe?
Most intellectual?
Totally underrated or unexpected?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 07:41 PM

817 posts, read 597,476 times
I think Omaha or Des Moines is probably what you're looking for, and in my opinion they're both great, growing and increasingly popular cities. I'd probably put Omaha just a bit ahead of Des Moines but I don't know enough about either to say that definitively and, again, they're both wonderful cities.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:48 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
I've stepped foot in all five of these cities, but I'm an expert in none of them. All I have is fleeting first impressions. Little Rock has the most scenic natural environment of any of them. Memphis has the most interesting history, but it's also the most humid in the summertime. But Omaha felt safer and more pleasant than any of these others, in my opinion. Des Moines and Tulsa didn't really register with me, for some reason. Maybe if I actually visited, instead of just passing through . . .

Old 06-22-2022, 07:13 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times
My experiences--

Which one is most walkable? None are truly walkable on a large scale. But can be neighborhood by neighborhood. I think Omaha comes out on top here, by a bit.

Has the coolest neighborhoods? Coolest can have wildly varying meanings. But if I ranked them based on personal experience: Omaha, Memphis, Little Rock, Des Moines, Tulsa

Best restaurant & bar vibe? Memphis, then Omaha

Most intellectual? Omaha or Des Moines

Totally underrated or unexpected? Little Rock. Highly under-rated city in a lot of respects

Old 06-22-2022, 01:37 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
I've heard nothing but good things about Omaha. It has everything most metros twice it's size has except for major league professional sports. Omaha hosts the College World Series each year, and that's kind of a big deal. They have some pretty cool museums there too. I hear their zoo is one of the best - if nor the best - zoo in the country. In my opinion, Omaha is probably the most overlooked and under rated city in America.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneducator415 View Post
Hi all,
Looking for opinions on the 4 cities above. I've been interested in the coastal cities for most of my life, and realize that there is a lot of neat parts of the country I'm not familiar with. Looking for opinions on...

Most intellectual?

Thanks!
Omaha is by far the best pick amongst those cities listed.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:15 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Tulsa has a reputation as a "Bible Belt oil town", but it also has an eclectic artistic and dining scene, plus quirky architecture and a strong Native American heritage. It is not "walkable" as a whole but has a number of neighborhoods with interesting establishments, especially in the central area southeast from downtown. Parts of Tulsa are hilly and scenic, in particular by the Arkansas River and neighborhoods on the south side.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:52 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Des Moines and Omaha are easily the most appealing to most people, at least those who have actually spent time in these places.
That being said, I have a soft spot for Memphis. It might be my favorite but for personal reasons.

The midwest does sidewalks better, so again Des Moines and Omaha, but none are known for that. You’re not likely to ditch the car in any of these.

They all have something in this regard. I like Little Rock’s natural setting, which it works with quite well, and helps push it a little ahead the rest.

Memphis.

Most intellectual?
Des Moines.

Little Rock has traits that might surprise and Tulsa isn’t always what people assume it is.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:18 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Des Moines and Omaha are easily the most appealing to most people, at least those who have actually spent time in these places.
That being said, I have a soft spot for Memphis. It might be my favorite but for personal reasons.

The midwest does sidewalks better, so again Des Moines and Omaha, but none are known for that. You’re not likely to ditch the car in any of these.

They all have something in this regard. I like Little Rock’s natural setting, which it works with quite well, and helps push it a little ahead the rest.

Memphis.

Most intellectual?
Des Moines.

Little Rock has traits that might surprise and Tulsa isn’t always what people assume it is.
I agree with everything you've stated. My favorite is Omaha for its arts district and location near other neat cities and towns. Little Rock is underrated.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:16 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,910 times
Outside of Little Rock, which I've never visited, all of these towns are really cool.

Des Moines, Omaha, and Tulsa all feel very similar to me. Plains-ish cities just around or under 1,000,000 MSAs that seem to be thriving and have vibrant arts, food, and outdoor recreation scenes.

Memphis is very different from these towns. It has a Delta South-meets-Rust Belt quality to it and has this really unique culture where you pick up all the incredible music that's come from there, along with a noted food scene that's also unique to the city. It has much rougher areas than the towns to the west, but it also has more iconic Americana found within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City