Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 07:04 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times

Advertisements

https://findmasa.com/city/denver

This site says 191 in Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 07:20 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
For sure, but for street art alone, Philly does beat out every city IMO. I get it is part of the art ecosystem but I believe street art (murals and graffiti) is its own beast with a distinct character. I do agree that more does not equal a better art scene but it shows that those respective cities are hotspots and the best of the best. If an artist does a wall in Philly, Montreal, NYC or Wynwood, it's a win (N.A wise). It also shows that the other cities mentioned are up and coming and will eventually become a hotspot, these things change so fast now so in three years from now, maybe some city not on the list becomes the new mecca, and so on and so forth.
Philadelphia has what I'd call an "official" and an "unofficial" street art scene.

The official one is overseen by Mural Arts Philadelphia, whose founder, Jane Golden, still runs it. It began in the 1980s as an effort to combat graffiti and now will paint any blank wall that people request a mural for. Some taggers, like Steve Powers ("ESPO" — "Exterior Surface Painting Outreach"), crossed over into the Big Time Art World as a result of their work. He is responsible for Mural Arts' magnum opus, "A Love Letter For You," a series of some 50 murals on the upper floors of buildings along Market Street from 48th to 63d, meant to be viewed from the Market-Frankford Line (aka "the El"). Wry. witty, poignant and even moving, the messages are "a letter for one, with meaning for all" – notes from a guy to his girlfriend, but also notes about the vagaries of life in general, occasionally working in references to businesses and addresses of buildings the murals are painted on (e.g., "For What I Want, I Can Wait — I'll Wait 4800 Years If I Have To" on the side of 4800 Market), or a hair clipper and the words "I'll Shape Up" on the wall of a barber shop).

My personal favorite is the largest mural in the series, which also carries the artist's signature and acknowledgements at the bottom. You see it as you leave 56th Street station eastbound. It's visible at 2:00 in the video below; somehow, I don't think Powers had that non-specific girlfriend in mind when he painted it, but rather the people on the train viewing it.

For some reason, YouTube won't play this video embedded in my post; here's the link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIkPvf0qNSM

BTW, Powers produced a book about the project.

OTOH, we also have a fellow named Conrad Benner who chronicles and celebrates the unofficial street art on his Streets Dept blog.

The murals are so popular that people get upset if the owner of a vacant lot next to one announces they plan to build something on it.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:48 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
https://findmasa.com/city/denver

This site says 191 in Denver.
That's a pretty good number, are there any other programs or festivals? I heard Colorado in general has a great street art scene, so it makes me want to explore, especially since I finally stopped working.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:09 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
I’ve heard it estimated that there are up to 500 murals in St. Petersburg, FL.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I’ve heard it estimated that there are up to 500 murals in St. Petersburg, FL.
Oh? That is a lot more than I expected for there and that's even more than what Miami is estimated to currently have. I really have to see all the murals in St. Pete, been a long time since I've been there.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:13 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Oh? That is a lot more than I expected for there and that's even more than what Miami is estimated to currently have. I really have to see all the murals in St. Pete, been a long time since I've been there.
I’m not sure how many there really are in St. Pete. It’s pretty good for murals, but nothing is going to top Wynwood in Florida. I haven’t been there in about 5 years, has Wynwood changed much since?

Old 06-30-2022, 02:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
That's a pretty good number, are there any other programs or festivals? I heard Colorado in general has a great street art scene, so it makes me want to explore, especially since I finally stopped working.
The Crush Walls festival was canceled as the founder was accused of sexual assault so hopefully someone can replace it with another one.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I’m not sure how many there really are in St. Pete. It’s pretty good for murals, but nothing is going to top Wynwood in Florida. I haven’t been there in about 5 years, has Wynwood changed much since?
Last I went, it's still heavy on murals but a lot of art galleries closed down and a lot of graffiti/mural pieces were demolished to make ways for condos. When I was in Miami and Wynwood was in its heyday, it had about 70 art galleries, now it's about 10. It's now becoming a typical "techie" area you'd see in SoCal to be honest with you.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:21 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
I love street art. Philly's and Miami's murals have some of my favorites.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:30 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
As of 2019, Minneapolis had over 400, but that number has increased significantly since George Floyd's murder and the unrest that followed. St. Paul has a lot too, but I couldn't find a decent number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City