Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 06:27 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Sacramento 100%, is this really debatable? For a single 30s person Cincinnati is too conservative, rural, and provincial which means the dating opportunities and culture is basically zero to non existent. For dating alone Sacramento is a much better city for men, the women in the Cincinnati area marry young, which means the single population consists of single mothers or divorcees like all rural conservative cities do.

"California, the state with the highest urban population density, has a capital city that is largely rural. Eighty five percent of Sacramento’s land area is rural and generates extensive economic benefits for the region and state."

https://www.nlc.org/article/2018/08/...onomic-driver/

Hamilton County, where Cincinnati is located, is much smaller and more densely populated than Sacramento Country. Simply looking at a picture reveals that Cincinnati city is far more structurally urban than Sacramento.

I recommended Sac as well, but you couldn't have gotten that "rural" designation more wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 06:38 PM

15 posts, read 6,172 times
Quote:
Sacramento 100%, is this really debatable? For a single 30s person Cincinnati is too conservative, rural, and provincial which means the dating opportunities and culture is basically zero to non existent. For dating alone Sacramento is a much better city for men, the women in the Cincinnati area marry young, which means the single population consists of single mothers or divorcees like all rural conservative cities do.
If it’s this cut and dry then it makes things easy for me. But Cincinnati doesn’t appear to be conservative or rural, at least not on paper, although I would agree that it’s provincial. Your conclusions may very well be right in terms of the culture, speaking as someone from elsewhere in the Midwest (but with no first hand knowledge of Cincinnati). That said, I’m finding at least a couple sources that suggest dating might be pretty good in Cincinnati, and might be pretty unsatisfying in Sacramento. Again I’m not sure what to make of those, though, do you have any first hand experience with these places?

Old 06-26-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Corryville has received a ton of investment over the past few decades. It has improved by ten fold from a quality of life standpoint. Like many urban areas, if you use common sense with your belongings and how you carry yourself in the neighborhood, you will likely not have any issues.

It's a prime area for you to live based on where your graduate program is based. I would not look elsewhere around campus unless your budget forces you to do so.
Thanks a lot! This is more what I had heard. Is there a specific part of Corryville that you’d recommend looking at? Also, if I wanted to live elsewhere nearby and take the bus to campus, are there specific areas you would suggest looking at? It looks like the bus runs pretty conveniently if I wanted to live just south of the main campus and take a short bus trip to the Corryville campus.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

"California, the state with the highest urban population density, has a capital city that is largely rural. Eighty five percent of Sacramento’s land area is rural and generates extensive economic benefits for the region and state."

https://www.nlc.org/article/2018/08/...onomic-driver/

Hamilton County, where Cincinnati is located, is much smaller and more densely populated than Sacramento Country. Simply looking at a picture reveals that Cincinnati city is far more structurally urban than Sacramento.

I recommended Sac as well, but you couldn't have gotten that "rural" designation more wrong.
Interested in your perspective on why Sacramento is the better choice, if you’re willing to share!

Old 06-26-2022, 07:03 PM

120 posts, read 107,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwellerofCitiesTwo View Post
An hour and a half is totally doable, that’s great to know! Do you have thoughts on the “bad dating scene” reputation that Sacramento gets? I know Sacramento isn’t everyone’s favorite designation city in California, but still this is surprising to me given many of the perks that it does seem to have.
I lived in Sacramento for most of my 20s and early 30s, and I never experienced any difficulty in finding interesting people to date. You're not generally going to find many of the hard-charging, "run with the swift" types in business or the creative arts that you do in NYC, LA and to a certain degree in other metros that are magnets in general or in specific fields (like SF for tech), if that's your preference, but I imagine that would be the case in Cincinnati or in any non-top-tier metro. I can't say I've heard many specific complaints of late from my friends who live in the area about dating in Sacramento that weren't really, in my judgment, attempts to lay problems of a more general nature (largely to do with themselves) at the feet of the place in which they happen to live, and I suspect those people would be inclined to complain about the dating scene anywhere they were. (And Sacramento has an active and lively LGBTQ+ community, so it's not a matter of identity/orientation).

Old 06-26-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Interested in your perspective on why Sacramento is the better choice, if you’re willing to share!
Weather, proximity to ocean, mass transit, location in California. I lived in Ohio for over a decade, prefer CA. Also give the surrounding areas (Locke, Davis, Folsom, etc.) to Sac here.

Cincinnati has urban districts that not even San Francisco can touch, and I would reject the notion that it is "more conservative" in any meaningful way than Sacramento.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:23 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

I think this would be if you were dating out in the far suburbs. Cincinnati itself isn't conservative or rural and the school I presume the OP is going to has a very large population including graduate student population. I reckon international student population took a hit during the pandemic, but it's likely roaring back up over the next years.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
I lived in Sacramento for most of my 20s and early 30s, and I never experienced any difficulty in finding interesting people to date. You're not generally going to find many of the hard-charging, "run with the swift" types in business or the creative arts that you do in NYC, LA and to a certain degree in other metros that are magnets in general or in specific fields (like SF for tech), if that's your preference, but I imagine that would be the case in Cincinnati or in any non-top-tier metro. I can't say I've heard many specific complaints of late from my friends who live in the area about dating in Sacramento that weren't really, in my judgment, attempts to lay problems of a more general nature (largely to do with themselves) at the feet of the place in which they happen to live, and I suspect those people would be inclined to complain about the dating scene anywhere they were. (And Sacramento has an active and lively LGBTQ+ community, so it's not a matter of identity/orientation).
Thank you! This is very helpful to know.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Weather, proximity to ocean, mass transit, location in California. I lived in Ohio for over a decade, prefer CA. Also give the surrounding areas (Locke, Davis, Folsom, etc.) to Sac here.

Cincinnati has urban districts that not even San Francisco can touch, and I would reject the notion that it is "more conservative" in any meaningful way than Sacramento.
I certainly have preferred California to the other parts of the Midwest I’ve been in/came from, as well, but Cincinnati sounds like perhaps a unique place as far as the Midwest goes. Would you agree? Thriving urban districts of the caliber you’re suggesting is certainly pretty unique. Would you say it’s distinctly different culturally from somewhere like Columbus?

The fact that Cincinnati doesn’t strike you as more conservative in any meaningful way is also reassuring, although the Biden versus Sanders vote share would suggest Cincinnati is composed of some more moderate (or at least traditional) liberals as compared to Sacramento. That was the most significant political difference I found “on paper”.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I certainly have preferred California to the other parts of the Midwest I’ve been in/came from, as well, but Cincinnati sounds like perhaps a unique place as far as the Midwest goes. Would you agree? Thriving urban districts of the caliber you’re suggesting is certainly pretty unique. Would you say it’s distinctly different culturally from somewhere like Columbus?

The fact that Cincinnati doesn’t strike you as more conservative in any meaningful way is also reassuring, although the Biden versus Sanders vote share would suggest Cincinnati is composed of some more moderate (or at least traditional) liberals as compared to Sacramento. That was the most significant political difference I found “on paper”.
Columbus is located in the least interesting geographic region of Ohio and does not have a national profile.

People in general aren't being defined in California by which establishment presidential candidate they may or may not have voted for in the last election, which is another feature I like about the place. When I'm hiking an 8000 foot mountain or surfing at Tourmaline I'm not thinking "I wonder if there are Sanders or Trump voters around here.....hmmmm."

California is too big and too important on its own to be defined by politicians, despite constant attempts to characterize it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City