Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 06:55 PM

111 posts, read 68,882 times

Advertisements

Which metropolitan areas have black populations primarily made up of immigrants and their descendants?

What I mean by black immigrants, I'm mainly talking about unmixed nonhispanic black immigrants, I mean people who came from Africa and the Caribbean, no earlier than let's say 1930 ish. From countries like Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad, Guyana, Belize, Barbados, Bahamas, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa etc. I'd imagine the places where black immigrants make up the majority of the black population would be like metros of Boston, NYC, Miami and many smaller metros in the New England area, for example.

In contrast, African Americans are black people specifically descended from enslaved Africans in the US South, they have roots in the United States dating as far back as the 1600s for many of them, and are very much apart of the foundation of US society and culture, along with other groups who been in the country for such a duration of time. They are likely to represent 80-90% of the black population in the country, and although are spread out, still til this day have high concentrations in the US South.

And what is the specific percentage African Americans make up of metro areas around the country, especially ones where they are not the majority of the black population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 07:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,346,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPRCubaSpain View Post
Which metropolitan areas have black populations primarily made up of immigrants and their descendants?

What I mean by black immigrants, I'm mainly talking about unmixed nonhispanic black immigrants, I mean people who came from Africa and the Caribbean, no earlier than let's say 1930 ish. From countries like Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad, Guyana, Belize, Barbados, Bahamas, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa etc. I'd imagine the places where black immigrants make up the majority of the black population would be like metros of Boston, NYC, Miami and many smaller metros in the New England area, for example.

In contrast, African Americans are black people specifically descended from enslaved Africans in the US South, they have roots in the United States dating as far back as the 1600s for many of them, and are very much apart of the foundation of US society and culture, along with other groups who been in the country for such a duration of time. They are likely to represent 80-90% of the black population in the country, and although are spread out, still til this day have high concentrations in the US South.

And what is the specific percentage African Americans make up of metro areas around the country, especially ones where they are not the majority of the black population?
Why exclude Hispanic blacks?

Old 06-25-2022, 07:13 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,206,104 times
Depending what you see as the the threshold as being too mixed to be black, your criteria may disqualify certain metros with large presence of Cape Verdeans- generally a high admixed of Senegalese and Portuguese specifically, yet are grouped under the black umbrella in the census and at the same time Sub Saharan African.

I remember viewing some data of a small Maine metro having a plurality or predominately Somali community. The New England states along the coast is home to a century old non-ADOS/AA community(that is if you consider Cape Verdeans as a whole part of the black race.)

Old 06-25-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Why exclude Hispanic blacks?
Many Hispanic blacks see themselves hispanic first before black, and stick into that group generally more. Also, it's tricky because many Hispanics who are phenotypically black don't even consider themselves black on the census, while many Hispanics who are ambiguous mixed or even white sometimes, do consider themselves black (think NYC AfroLatino), so that statistic would be skewed anyway.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Depending what you see as the the threshold as being too mixed to be black, your criteria may disqualify certain metros with large presence of Cape Verdeans- generally a high admixed of Senegalese and Portuguese specifically, yet are grouped under the black umbrella in the census and at the same time Sub Saharan African.

I remember viewing some data of a small Maine metro having a plurality or predominately Somali community. The New England states along the coast is home to a century old non-ADOS/AA community(that is if you consider Cape Verdeans as a whole part of the black race.)
Good point. Do Cape Verdeans consider themselves black? I heard some do (mainly Americanized CV) , and some don't (mainly immigrant CV). They are definitely African, but so are Arab looking North Africans... I guess it all depends if one considers mixed ppl as "black" , which would be technically inaccurate as they are also half nonblack, but giving American society and it's legacy of the one drop rule, I understand why there are many that do consider mixed folks as "black". Also it helps that AA hip hop culture has become the dominant culture among American youth, which in turn influences the world, mindsets are changing.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:26 PM

I imagine one can get a African American statistic for cities, states, metros, by going to data.census.gov , then going to ACS demographic file and taking that nonhispanic Black count, then going to Total ancestries reported file and subtracting the West Indian/Subsaharan African numbers from that nonhispanic black count, reveling a possible African American population count. I don't know how accurate that would be though.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:51 PM

93,544 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:

There is evidence of black people being here in 1526 in what is now the Carolinas. So, the presence is approaching at least 500 years in what is now the United States.

You also have to consider the socio-historical aspect of race when considering this.

As for the questions, most metro areas likely have black populations that are predominantly African American, including many, if not most in the Northeast. So, I'm assuming a few fit this criteria.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,346,705 times
Quote:
Many Hispanic blacks see themselves hispanic first before black, and stick into that group generally more. Also, it's tricky because many Hispanics who are phenotypically black don't even consider themselves black on the census, while many Hispanics who are ambiguous mixed or even white sometimes, do consider themselves black (think NYC AfroLatino), so that statistic would be skewed anyway.
This doesn't change the fact that they have African heritage and are indeed black.
White Latinos consider themselves to he black? Afro-Latino people in my experience aren't white, they are black or mixed, but generally never have white/European features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is evidence of black people being here in 1526 in what is now the Carolinas. So, the presence is approaching at least 500 years in what is now the United States.

You also have to consider the socio-historical aspect of race when considering this.

As for the questions, most metro areas likely have black populations that are predominantly African American, including many, if not most in the Northeast. So, I'm assuming a few fit this criteria.
Link?

Old 06-25-2022, 11:44 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,407,796 times
Going by the title of this thread I don’t think this actually exist and if it does I’m going to put my bets on the Boston-Providence metro.

I don’t even view African Americans as a minority within the black community in New York City because there are def way more African Americans than Africans

Old 06-26-2022, 04:48 AM

6,818 posts, read 6,065,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
You’re right about Lewiston, but my understanding was that African Americans still had a plurality in most of S. New England despite the large Cape Verdean and Caribbean communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City