Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver or Houston
Denver 27 55.10%
Houston 22 44.90%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 11:10 PM

817 posts, read 627,620 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that the minimum wage in Texas is very low so while Denver is more expensive you do get paid more there than in Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 05:52 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Denver has better public transport, and more likely to have a fit atheist.

Houston is cheaper

Old 07-03-2022, 10:24 AM

32 posts, read 21,935 times
Quote:
I think the most important factor to me is the affordability of a one bedroom (or even studio). Another two important factors for me are good public transit and easy access to health insurance but those two factors aren't as near as important as the affordability of a one bedroom. High paying jobs would also be a somewhat important factor.
As others have noted, the nice parts of Houston which have some form of public transport accessibility will be at a COL level on part with other cities. Houston's reputation for affordability comes from home prices in the suburbs and exurbs, where Houston has practically unlimited potential to grow, but public transport doesn't reach out there, so it doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.

Quote:
Looking for a city that has a good sober community - I want to maintain my sobriety when moving to the new city.
Sober communities are everywhere, but be advised that here in the South, they tend to be skewed heavily toward religion-based programs. That being said, there are secular sobriety communities in town, and you only need to find one of them.

Quote:
Better dating scene - I'm a 36-year-old single heterosexual male looking for something long term with a woman who is fit, sober and atheist.
Better dating scene than what? I'm in your demographic, and I've found Houston to be lacking in this regard; Houstonians don't seem to care very much for health and fitness, as we're very car-oriented and it's too hot to exercise outside. Houston's also won several awards for most overweight city in the past 10 years. Denver seems to be the winner here.

Quote:
I'd think Houston kind of wins this one in terms of factors BUT I'm worried that Houston will get another Hurricane Harvey and that makes me want to pick Denver instead. With that being said, I'd definitely go with Denver if money and affordability weren't a factor at all.
As others have said, don't worry about a major hurricane that much. It happens and you deal with it when it does.

Quote:
I've visited both cities (have visited Houston about 10 times and lived in Denver for a whole month for work). I liked both when I visited.
Was one of those visits to Houston during the summer ?

Old 07-03-2022, 11:14 AM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Affordability is Houston.

Finding a fit, sober, atheist woman is Denver.

Houston has a really good bus system, Denver wins for rail and has decent bus service.

Big hurricanes come like once every 10-20 years. Really wouldn't worry about that as much.

I lived in both and definitely prefer Denver.
People do seem to drink a lot in Denver though. I do agree about the fit and atheist part.
Overall dating shouldn't really be that different between the two.

If OP is someone who does not drive at all then Denver, being more compact, should be easier to get around. If you live in the city proper there are plenty of bike paths and it's possible to go anywhere with an electric scooter. Plus Houston is really too hot to walk around months at a time.

Being carless in both cities will hamper dating.

Houston should still be more affordable, but prices in the nicer areas wouldn't be that much cheaper.

Hurricanes and other freak weather events shouldn't be a deciding factor. Denver in some years has air quality issues due to wild fires in the Western states.

Old 07-03-2022, 12:37 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
I don't get the nice part of ... argument.
The nice parts of any city are going to be expensive.

The question is how does the average parts of each cut compare.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:36 PM

647 posts, read 1,522,713 times
OP here

Weather is NOT an important factor to me at all unless it's something like a catastrophic hurricane that destroys my residence and all of my personal belongings. The heat and hot weather do not bother me. The cold and snow do not bother me. I've been to Houston in 100 degrees weather during the summer and didn't mind it. I've been to Denver in 14 degrees weather in the winter and didn't mind it.

I own a paid off car and won't be relying on public transit. It'd just be nice to have good public transit and I really miss the NYC subway. Also, I've kind of had bad luck with cars in the past but it seems like a lot of people have bad luck with them anyways. So it'd just be nice to have public transit to fall back on.

I've read through these posts and I'm still torn between which city to choose. I'll have $6k in savings when moving and I'm way closer to Houston (I live in Dallas) - so that makes me think Houston is the more practical and smarter choice. It'd also be easier to drive down to Houston from Dallas for an interview.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:46 PM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgotTheMilk View Post
Better dating scene than what? I'm in your demographic, and I've found Houston to be lacking in this regard; Houstonians don't seem to care very much for health and fitness, as we're very car-oriented and it's too hot to exercise outside. Houston's also won several awards for most overweight city in the past 10 years. Denver seems to be the winner here.

Agreed, this can go for the South in general

Old 07-03-2022, 07:24 PM

220 posts, read 172,898 times
For snow skiing Denver, water skiing Houston.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:34 PM

647 posts, read 1,522,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Denver in some years has air quality issues due to wild fires in the Western states.
How bad it altitude sickness? I did get really bad altitude sickness (for about 2-3 days) during the month I stayed in Denver. And I kind of worry that I might get altitude sickness again if I move there. Is altitude sickness something you only get when you first move there or is it something you still get after months/years of living there? Forgot to mention this in earlier posts.

Last edited by simon22; 07-03-2022 at 08:49 PM..

Old 07-03-2022, 08:58 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
How bad it altitude sickness? I did get really bad altitude sickness (for about 2-3 days) during the month I stayed in Denver. And I kind of worry that I might get altitude sickness again if I move there. Is altitude sickness something you only get when you first move there or is it something you still get after months/years of living there? Forgot to mention this in earlier posts.
This varies by person. I never had much altitude sickness in Denver. The worst I felt was adjust to working out there as compared to good ole low lying areas. Some people may be there and it affect them permanently and be forced to leave. Someone in Houston may feel the same for the humidity. That entirely depends on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City