Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver or Houston
Denver 27 55.10%
Houston 22 44.90%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 01:06 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is due to generational shifts. Younger Houstonians are generally more into fitness than older Houstonians.
That is true everywhere. I can't seem to think of any city where the younger folks don't care more about fitness than the older ones.

I think for the whole picture you have to look at culture. Not just what countries residents are from, but where in the country they are coming from.

Residents coming from rural areas in the US and beyond tend to place fitness on a lower rung of important than residents from urban areas or highly educated individuals. When your goal is feeding your family beautiful landscapes and a jog in the park is the least of your worries.

I maybe be inclined to agree that the younger Houstonians today care more about fitness than the younger Houstonians a generation ago. If that is the argument you are making. Sounds the same, but there is distinction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 04:17 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Denver is on average more expensive than the rest of the US and you are comparing it to probably the least expensive major city in country. Not sure how yall can sit there with a straight face and make the argument that cost of housing amongst the two are comparable.
This report is from April of this year.

“The Denver-Aurora-Lakewood metro area is home to more than half of Colorado’s population. It has the nation’s 11th highest rent among large metros, according to Stessa, a tool that helps landlords track rental properties”

“Stessa’s analysis, which covers almost 400 U.S. metros ranging from large to small, estimates the median rent in the Denver metro at $1,822 across studio up to four-bedroom apartments.”

“Only coastal metros have higher estimated median rents, including the metros of Sacramento, Riverside, Washington, D.C., New York, Seattle, San Diego, Los Angeles, Boston, San Francisco and San Jose.”

https://kdvr.com/news/data/metro-den...rental-market/

Old 07-04-2022, 04:27 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
With his income, I would say Houston for sure is better.

Old 07-04-2022, 04:33 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times
Being a Houston native and having visited Denver several times, including turning down a job there, Houston is the better value.

Lower housing costs,
Lower gas prices
Better healthcare by a mile
Better shopping
Better dining options due to its resident diversity
More flight connectivity
More water access.
Better job options.

Denver has cleaner environment, better public transit, mountain scenery and better weather for the summer.

Old 07-04-2022, 04:41 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgotTheMilk View Post
As others have noted, the nice parts of Houston which have some form of public transport accessibility will be at a COL level on part with other cities. Houston's reputation for affordability comes from home prices in the suburbs and exurbs, where Houston has practically unlimited potential to grow, but public transport doesn't reach out there, so it doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.

Sober communities are everywhere, but be advised that here in the South, they tend to be skewed heavily toward religion-based programs. That being said, there are secular sobriety communities in town, and you only need to find one of them.

Better dating scene than what? I'm in your demographic, and I've found Houston to be lacking in this regard; Houstonians don't seem to care very much for health and fitness, as we're very car-oriented and it's too hot to exercise outside. Houston's also won several awards for most overweight city in the past 10 years. Denver seems to be the winner here.

As others have said, don't worry about a major hurricane that much. It happens and you deal with it when it does.

Was one of those visits to Houston during the summer ?

How about Denver in the winter? Slip sliding away lol

Old 07-04-2022, 05:39 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Lots of fried, greasy food type places compared to Denver.
Said the guy from Nashville. This is cute because Nashville's obesity rate is higher than Houston's.

https://wallethub.com/edu/fattest-ci...-america/10532

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
How about Denver in the winter? Slip sliding away lol
Mild winters and hot summers vs. cold winters and more mild summers. The question on weather is subjective.

It boils down to this: do you prefer outdoor activities and natural beauty or do you prefer better culture, diversity, and culinary institutions?

The food in Houston is much better than Denver largely because of the large gap that exists between their levels of diversity. Houston is flat and has some nice forests and the beach isnt far away, but we will never come close to what Colorado and Denver offer to someone who likes to spend time outdoors.

As far as religiosity goes, like attracts like. Im vehemently anti-religion of any kind and the overwhelming majority of the people I run into are as well. Overall Denver is less religious than Houston but its not like were comparing Denver to Alabama. Inside the Beltway you will mostly be dealing with liberal people and many are not religious.

As far as obesity goes, this is a combination of demographics and availability of things to do outdoors. We dont have the plethora of outdoor activities than Denver has and they dont have our large population or poor African Americans and Hispanics (which are the demographics most likely to be obese).

So yeah, pick cultural and culinary institutions, diversity, and international flavor or a large variety of outdoor activities, walkability, and better public transit.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:07 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Said the guy from Nashville. This is cute because Nashville's obesity rate is higher than Houston's.

https://wallethub.com/edu/fattest-ci...-america/10532
Although Shakeesha has an odd history of anti Houston post, I think this one was including Nashville in their definition of the south. Could be wrong but that’s what it seems.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:13 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
As far as outdoors activities goes, Denver obviously wins the matchup. But that will still vary from person to person. For me, I’m not a mountain guy, so this is less likely to affect me. But if you replaced Denver with Tampa, I would easily be attracted to what Tampa has to offer physically.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
OP here

Weather is NOT an important factor to me at all unless it's something like a catastrophic hurricane that destroys my residence and all of my personal belongings. The heat and hot weather do not bother me. The cold and snow do not bother me. I've been to Houston in 100 degrees weather during the summer and didn't mind it. I've been to Denver in 14 degrees weather in the winter and didn't mind it.

I own a paid off car and won't be relying on public transit. It'd just be nice to have good public transit and I really miss the NYC subway. Also, I've kind of had bad luck with cars in the past but it seems like a lot of people have bad luck with them anyways. So it'd just be nice to have public transit to fall back on.

I've read through these posts and I'm still torn between which city to choose. I'll have $6k in savings when moving and I'm way closer to Houston (I live in Dallas) - so that makes me think Houston is the more practical and smarter choice. It'd also be easier to drive down to Houston from Dallas for an interview.
It doesn’t seem like you would be interested in a lot of the things that make Denver expensive, so I’d say go with Houston. I would never consider Denver on $50k, maybe double that.

Plus, not only would you be moving to a high COL area, you’re also going to be hit with the state income tax which you currently aren’t paying if you live in Dallas. I just think you’re going to need to make a major adjustment to move to Denver, while if you move to Houston you might just come out ahead. Dallas from what I understand is getting more expensive than Houston.

Houston is a big enough area that I expect you could find a sober atheist woman. May have to look a little harder than Denver but I’m sure they exist.

Old 07-04-2022, 10:45 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
mkwensky is right that this stuff is very nuanced. Rents vary differently by type of unit, type of neighborhood, quality-level, and a million other factors.

Based on a quick look at CoStar's current data, the average variation for a one-bedroom for the two metros is about $400. It's more like $800 for three-bedrooms. There's also neighborhood-level data but I'll skip that.
OP and anyone who really wants to look this up can compare the average rent for 1 bedrooms in Montrose/Heights/EaDo for Houston and the average rent for Baker/Cap Hill/Rino in Denver. Don't tell me there is an $800, or even a $400 difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City